Jim Hick's RCSSports HoopsGiving Classic

AggiesAreWe

From RCSsports:

More breaking news!  On Saturday evening, Brazosport head coach phoned to inform me their football team (who hadn't made the playoffs in 10 years) not only earned a spot into the post season, but won Saturday afternoon to advance into the second round.  This limits his squad to only 7 players in uniform.  This is the main reason Brazosport coach did NOT schedule any basketball games during the first week of the season.   Well, those 7 players representing Brazosport opened their season this past Saturday against Episcopal, and proceeded to lose by nearly 50 (yes, fifty).  Plus, two players suffered minor injuries including leading scorer and rebounder Hunter Quick.  This prompted coach to make the decision to contact me about the possibility of finding a replacement team (with less than a week before tip off).  Piece of cake...

At the same time, another local team had just improved to 15-0 on the season.  That team just happened to be the 2017 Super 16 Extravaganza Champs and was more than deserving of a spot in this prestigious event.  That prompted me to contact the coaching staff of Concordia Lutheran and extend an invite to take Brazosport's place and play against Silsbee HS (the defending 4A state champs).  They accepted!  Meanwhile, out of  respect to Silsbee, I also contacted their head coach to let him know what was transpiring.  Ironically, Silsbee has yet to play their first game of the season and they have 7 basketball players still with the football team, currently in the playoffs as well.  "We need to play, and we will with what we got", stated Coach Joe Sigler.  Actually this matchup is very very tasty because it could be the toughest test of the season for Concordia who will face another defending state champion on Tuesday afternoon (vs Prestonwood Academy @ St Pius HS).  This means Concordia has Prestonwood and Silsbee on back to back days on neutral sites.  Plus, Concordia's leading scorer, Pierce Hellums 6'2 sg 2019 (MVP of the Super 16 Extravaganza) will get to "Put Up or Shut Up" against highly touted shooting guard, Jordyn Adams 6'4 sg 2019.  I really like this matchup!  The truth will certainly be told this week... see you guys on Wednesday.

15-0 Concordia Lutheran, #2 in this week's TABC TAPPS 6A rankings, will have three games this week starting with a game today against St. Stephens (Austin), then tomorrow against TAPPS 6A defending state champ Prestonwood followed by their game against UIL 4A defending state champ Silsbee on Wednesday.

For my Tigers sake, let's hope they are tired.

One thing they will have over us that we got used to having the  advantage I last year will be depth, we have 5 players that will be on varsity once everyone is playing.  Not sure how many others we have that will be playing weds or if any of those others will be possible varsity players or not once football is over.

31 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Concordia Lutheran is a problem !!! They are currently beating St Stephens (Austin) 64-10 with 3:54 remaining in the 3rd

Concordia beat CFLC by 11 a week or so ago.   CFLC didn’t have Antoine Davis that game but they might be the most talented team in the city.  

Those super private schools are like small colleges.  They recruit just like colleges, in some cases better than certain colleges. They dance to a different beat compared to public schools.  Their hands are not tied at all.  How do they play 15 games already and it's only Nov 20th? The Houston Rockets have played 17 and they started in October.  

The Tigers full team, when it is assembled, could probably give them a good run, maybe even win.  The present Tiger team?  Idk.  We'll know after Wednesday night for sure.  What I do know is they won't be in the way when the 4A playoffs roll around.  

16 hours ago, Kountzer said:

Those super private schools are like small colleges.  They recruit just like colleges, in some cases better than certain colleges. They dance to a different beat compared to public schools.  Their hands are not tied at all.  How do they play 15 games already and it's only Nov 20th? The Houston Rockets have played 17 and they started in October.  

The Tigers full team, when it is assembled, could probably give them a good run, maybe even win.  The present Tiger team?  Idk.  We'll know after Wednesday night for sure.  What I do know is they won't be in the way when the 4A playoffs roll around.  

Silsbee was and still will be the best 4a team without a doubt but they won’t be near as dominant as last years team. Last year they had a bench that could start at anybody’s school. Can’t say the same about this bench. Their still my pick to win it all until proven otherwise 

1 hour ago, BADSANTA said:

Silsbee will go 8 deep this year strong. I this people forget about Tre Lowe and Adonis Thomas. When football is done expect the starters to be McCain, Adams, Bush, Barnes, and Chris Martin. Bench Landon Tyler, Lowe, Adonis, Bass, and a freshman or 2. Won't be near as long but very very good. 

52 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Not sure about a freshman or 2....and really not sure if it will be Martin or Tyler starting.

A big advantage Coach Sigler has is the size you get with McCain and Adams.  Can go Tyler, Martin, or any other guard/wing you want and not worry about length because both of those can match up with other teams’ bigs on the defensive end.  Nice to have options. 

On 11/20/2017 at 5:27 PM, AggiesAreWe said:

Concordia Lutheran is a problem !!! They are currently beating St Stephens (Austin) 64-10 with 3:54 remaining in the 3rd

Yes they are, even with Silsbees football players and all I think Concordia still wins...Concordia plays smart and has Guards , I think it will fustrait an aggressive team like Silsbee who can't really shoot once they realize they can't get to the hoop at will. Could be wrong but that's just how i see it playing out tommorow 

21 minutes ago, TexazBall said:

Yes they are, even with Silsbees football players and all I think Concordia still wins...Concordia plays smart and has Guards , I think it will fustrait an aggressive team like Silsbee who can't really shoot once they realize they can't get to the hoop at will. Could be wrong but that's just how i see it playing out tommorow 

Concordia knocked off Dallas Bishop Lynch and Prestonwood. So they will move up from number 2 to number one in the state in TAPPS 6A. They are very smart and have shooters all over the place. If you play aggressive man defense they will pick it apart. 

24 minutes ago, TexazBall said:

Thing is this Silsbee team has two starters that can shoot....now that doesn’t mean I am banking on a win but I won’t count it out,  the thing that is a big concern is depth at this point. This will be an uphill battle for my Tigers but it’s one we welcome!