Jim Hick's RCSSports HoopsGiving Classic

AggiesAreWe

Probably not very big.

This is a showcase not  a tournament.  Each team plays a game then, win or lose, they are free to leave.  Many of them will leave, and probably whatever fans they attract to the game.  Some hard core high school basketball fans will stick around all day, but most casual fans got the holiday, black Friday and other stuff on their minds, besides basketball.   Hopefully that is how it works out.

5 hours ago, DXTR said:

How big is Houston Christian’s gym?

3 hours ago, Kountzer said:

Probably not very big.

This is a showcase not  a tournament.  Each team plays a game then, win or lose, they are free to leave.  Many of them will leave, and probably whatever fans they attract to the game.  Some hard core high school basketball fans will stick around all day, but most casual fans got the holiday, black Friday and other stuff on their minds, besides basketball.   Hopefully that is how it works out.

Not sure capacity but it’s decent sized.  However, I am guessing it will fill up like it has before they moved it to TSU last year.  What time is anyone’s guess.  It’s the day before Thanksgiving, not after like Rick Nelson’s showcases.  If it’s like year’s before, people will leave before the nightcap to get home.   Yates usually played the last game and people would be waiting outside to get in as people left.  The best games imo are the mid afternoon games leading up to the game silsbee is in.  If you try and show up before the silsbee game, you may not get to see the start of the game.  But you might.  I am planning to get there around lunch.  

I was just speculating TxHoops.  The first time I actually attended this event was on a Friday after thanksgiving, season before last. Silsbee v Bellaire.  Silsbee was relatively unknown, and still is in Houston, although they were ranked # 1.   There were a few people in the stands but it was hardly crowded. That was at the episcopal (help me out spell check) high school gym.

Last year's game at the TSU gym the crowd was small for that large gym.  Perhaps the promoters had trouble making a profit after their expenses.  I don't know.

I wasn't tuned in to this showcase prior to season before last.  I remember they used to play at the 2nd baptist church gym, which is relatively small.  Yates played then and they were a nationally recognized team and hot ticket item.  I think they played Willowridge, which had the same type of fame. I think that's how that went. it was awhile ago.  They could have played that game in Hofeinz or somewhere and still sold out. I don't think the Campbell center was open yet or maybe not available.

I tried all year to get that day off. My co workers were too fast for me. As mentioned I work at a dps driver license office or dmv. All the children will be out of school that day and getting their Tx IDs, permits and taking rd exams. (remember to bring your VOEs folks).  We only work half a day, but we don't close until everyone has been helped.  I'll be lucky if I can get there by 3pm.

6 hours ago, Kountzer said:

I was just speculating TxHoops.  The first time I actually attended this event was on a Friday after thanksgiving, season before last. Silsbee v Bellaire.  Silsbee was relatively unknown, and still is in Houston, although they were ranked # 1.   There were a few people in the stands but it was hardly crowded. That was at the episcopal (help me out spell check) high school gym.

The silsbee vs Bellaire game wasn’t at this event, it was at the Texas Jamboree (which is held after thanksgiving day, whereas Hoopsgiving is always the day before turkey day).  That same year the Hoopsgiving was at Second Baptist I think?  Anyway, by the evening, the line was wrapped around the building of people waiting to get in. 

Also, there was  story/tweet going around Saturday morning that a Jr. decided to leave his HS team.  The specific team is not mentioned.  rcs sports wants you to join their newsletter to find out.  

This is strictly speculation on my part, but what if the team mentioned is B'port?  That would go a long way in explaining why they only scored 27 points against Episcopal.  

4 hours ago, Kountzer said:

Also, there was  story/tweet going around Saturday morning that a Jr. decided to leave his HS team.  The specific team is not mentioned.  rcs sports wants you to join their newsletter to find out.  

This is strictly speculation on my part, but what if the team mentioned is B'port?  That would go a long way in explaining why they only scored 27 points against Episcopal.  

Kid was from Dickinson 

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Please, if you know or have heard who Silsbee's opponent will be, do not post it here till the announcement is made Monday.

Want to allow Jim Hicks and his site the opportunity to announce the opponent.

Thank you

Haven’t heard who but did hear one thing and if it’s true it’s a definite upgrade and a tough game for a short handed a Tiger team.