Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AggiesAreWe

Jim Hick's RCSSports HoopsGiving Classic

21 posts in this topic

One of the holiday's most spectacular basketball showcases will feature 2 rematches from the UIL State Championships (Cy Falls vs San Antonio Wagner and Silsbee vs Brazosport), 2 of HISD's top teams (Yates and Lamar), and 1 very highly anticipated showdown between two state powers Austin Westlake vs Katy Tompkins (those teams have a combined 7 players with D1 offers as of today).   The schedule for the HoopsGiving Classic will be released Monday, September 11th on The Chop Shop radio show 12-2p on 102.5FM.  It will be posted in the VIP News on RcsSports.com on Tuesday.

no-look likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yate's coach Greg Wise probably doesn't want to play Silsbee this early in the season.  Good time to see what Brazosport is about this season.  All of those games are must see games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Kountzer said:

Yate's coach Greg Wise probably doesn't want to play Silsbee this early in the season.  Good time to see what Brazosport is about this season.  All of those games are must see games.

Or maybe Sigler didn't want to play Yates?

Personally, I wouldn't want to play a Region III playoff opponent in non-district if I didn't have to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Or maybe Sigler didn't want to play Yates?

Personally, I wouldn't want to play a Region III playoff opponent in non-district if I didn't have to.

Agreed.   I wouldn't think Wise or Sigler either one would want that game.  

Bport should be good this year, but lost their heart and soul with Chris Rossow's graduation.  They will still have the best "big" on the floor when they play, but I can't imagine this game being remotely close.  

Kountzer likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Or maybe Sigler didn't want to play Yates?

Personally, I wouldn't want to play a Region III playoff opponent in non-district if I didn't have to.

Does Yates have any solid players other that Hughes and Serialle? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Agreed.   I wouldn't think Wise or Sigler either one would want that game.  

Bport should be good this year, but lost their heart and soul with Chris Rossow's graduation.  They will still have the best "big" on the floor when they play, but I can't imagine this game being remotely close.  

Yes, that was Chris Rossow's team.  If I could go back I would of watched more than one Brazosport game just to see him play.  Maybe I can catch him playing on TV at the next level.  I think he is playing at a small college in Missouri.

They have the big guy coming back.  They have a decent guard from last year, and a forward that I remember.  Barring the unforeseen, like a superstar move in nobody knows about, B'port should be good, but not as dynamic as last season's team.  You never really know though, until you run against them for four quarters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kountzer said:

Yes, that was Chris Rossow's team.  If I could go back I would of watched more than one Brazosport game just to see him play.  Maybe I can catch him playing on TV at the next level.  I think he is playing at a small college in Missouri.

They have the big guy coming back.  They have a decent guard from last year, and a forward that I remember.  Barring the unforeseen, like a superstar move in nobody knows about, B'port should be good, but not as dynamic as last season's team.  You never really know though, until you run against them for four quarters.

Kind of my thoughts.  Quick will be able to do what he wants again inside and dominate the glass, but could also get in foul trouble again if Silsbee attacks the rim.   But I just can't see a team without SUPERIOR guard play being able to hang with the Tigers.  If you have really good guards and a true inside presence, Silsbee is vulnerable.  But I'm unaware of any such teams at the 4a level.  Yates is probably the closest thing with Mitch (and Hughes at guard). But depth will again be an issue.  That's everyone's problem against Silsbee though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw them:

9:30 am - Houston Westbury Christian/Houston St. Thomas

11:00 am - Houston Strake Jesuit/Beaumont Central

12:30 pm - Houston Lamar/Port Arthur Memorial

2:00 pm - Dickinson/Bellaire Episcopal

3:30 pm - Cy Falls/San Antonio Wagner

5:00 pm - Katy Tompkins/Austin Westlake

6:30 pm - Houston Christian/Houston Yates

8:00 pm - Silsbee/Brazosport

Wednesday, Nov. 22

All games played at Houston Christian School

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've visited a church in that area.  I also worked over there for awhile.

May have to explain why I won't be home til 10 on thanksgiving eve.  

If I could i would get there at 9:00am & watch Westbury Christian.  I doubt if I will be able to.  Quinn Slazinski is gone.  I guess it's Charles Smith IV's team, so to speak.

Hopefully I can see some of the Lamar v PA Memorial game.  

All of the games look interesting. 

Is there not a second basketball showcase?  Last year Silsbee played two games in two locations thanksgiving weekend.

BADSANTA likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Kountzer said:

I've visited a church in that area.  I also worked over there for awhile.

May have to explain why I won't be home til 10 on thanksgiving eve.  

If I could i would get there at 9:00am & watch Westbury Christian.  I doubt if I will be able to.  Quinn Slazinski is gone.  I guess it's Charles Smith IV's team, so to speak.

Hopefully I can see some of the Lamar v PA Memorial game.  

All of the games look interesting. 

Is there not a second basketball showcase?  Last year Silsbee played two games in two locations thanksgiving weekend.

That would be the Texas Jamboree which is held on the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. Those games are held at Episcopal and St. Thomas HS.

Haven't seen a schedule for it yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kountzer said:

I've visited a church in that area.  I also worked over there for awhile.

May have to explain why I won't be home til 10 on thanksgiving eve.  

If I could i would get there at 9:00am & watch Westbury Christian.  I doubt if I will be able to.  Quinn Slazinski is gone. I guess it's Charles Smith IV's team, so to speak.

Hopefully I can see some of the Lamar v PA Memorial game.  

All of the games look interesting. 

Is there not a second basketball showcase?  Last year Silsbee played two games in two locations thanksgiving weekend.

Smith is gone as well.  He's attending La Lumiere.  Cameron Cohn would be the best returning player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Smith is gone as well.  He's attending La Lumiere.  Cameron Cohn would be the best returning player. 

Slazinski & Smith were an exciting b-ball duo.  I saw them and the WC team twice last year.  Smith's drive down the lane & slam against Silsbee would be legendary if it were recorded just right.  Getting there at 9:30am to watch Westbury Christian is not as big of a deal now.

TxHoops likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kountzer said:

Slazinski & Smith were an exciting b-ball duo.  I saw them and the WC team twice last year.  Smith's drive down the lane & slam against Silsbee would be legendary if it were recorded just right.  [b{Getting there at 9:30am to watch Westbury Christian is not as big of a deal now.[

Exactly.   The best games are really the 3 that start at 3:30 imo.  Problem with waiting to get there then is there probably won't be any seats.   Silsbee's game sounds good and intriguing.  However, my guess is won't be but I suppose you never know.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Exactly.   The best games are really the 3 that start at 3:30 imo.  Problem with waiting to get there then is there probably won't be any seats.   Silsbee's game sounds good and intriguing.  However, my guess is won't be but I suppose you never know.  

Also depends on if Silsbee is still involved in football playoffs. Barnes, Martin, Lowe, Thomas, Bass and a couple of others still missing would deplete Silsbee's depth.

Still think Silsbee wins it by 12+.

BADSANTA likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Also depends on if Silsbee is still involved in football playoffs. Barnes, Martin, Lowe, Thomas, Bass and a couple of others still missing would deplete Silsbee's depth.

Still think Silsbee wins it by 12+.

Very true.  And I agree.  Even without the football guys, I think the Tigers are double digits better imo.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0