22-5A vs 21-5A

Indianforever

I think we need to wait a couple more weeks to get a better hold on it, especially since you never really know how the flood situation effected each team. What I would feel more comfortable saying is that we're going to have 8 playoff teams who probably struggle to play just average defense. 

24 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I think we need to wait a couple more weeks to get a better hold on it, especially since you never really know how the flood situation effected each team. What I would feel more comfortable saying is that we're going to have 8 playoff teams who probably struggle to play just average defense. 

I think you're correct Coug.  And I'd like your opinion- do you think it's becoming more of a trend in most of our HS football teams, or are the offenses just more potent?  Are most putting their best athletes on O, at the expense of D?  It seems like that to me.  To use a baseball comparison, it appears we want good hitters, but we don't worry about pitching.  

Of course there's still some dinosaurs out there, like WOS, who play defense like its the main part of the game.  Wonder when they'll wise up.  Oh, wait...........

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I think we need to wait a couple more weeks to get a better hold on it, especially since you never really know how the flood situation effected each team. What I would feel more comfortable saying is that we're going to have 8 playoff teams who probably struggle to play just average defense

I bet Stanley Hackett, verbal Baylor commit, will disagree with you after last night...

35 minutes ago, Stattrax said:

Impossible to tell at this point. These games where almost like a scrimmage. Vanilla for sure. Expect  to see the contenders getting better in the next few weeks. I think your top 4 stay the same. BH Crosby PNG PAM... I think Central and Nederland finish out our district playoff spots.

Kingwood Park could be a wild card on this side.  As always it depends on the matchups.  Defense, can anyone stop anybody?

I would like to see PAM to judge defense. Last year they had loads of speed. But KVJr was a lockdown on one side. Not sure what they have this year. Honestly if we get our young guys in the right spots, we have a chance to play average defense this year. It showed last night we missed some practice time. But that RB was legit. They ran more of a wildcat, but he can move. We will not see another back like him until we play PAM.  Not sure about you guys, but I think BH, and PNG will be tough outs because we put up numbers. But it's also hard on the defenses when you put up quick points. I think Nederland is out wild card. I honestly think they will make the playoffs. Time will tell... No state contenders on this end for sure...

I get the sense that no one plays defense anymore. West Orange is obviously the exception. I think a lot of that has to do with how offenses have changed over the years. The spread and its variants have enabled teams to put up points really efficiently, but I don't know that there is a widespread answer to the spread on the defensive side of the ball. I also think this carries into the college level -- Texas schools don't play defense very well, the Big 12 is full of Texas players, the Big 12 stinks at defense. Of course, as I write this I am remembering that Oklahoma played lock-down D last night against Ohio State. It's not a perfect theory. 

As far as which district looks better this year, I think Crosby is at least weaker than they have been the past few years. I think Nederland is stronger than we've all been suspecting. I think their games against Vidor and PAM will show us a lot. Barbers Hill is going to be solid. We'll have to see how much the storm affects the teams mentally. 

6 hours ago, Acadien said:

I get the sense that no one plays defense anymore. West Orange is obviously the exception. I think a lot of that has to do with how offenses have changed over the years. The spread and its variants have enabled teams to put up points really efficiently, but I don't know that there is a widespread answer to the spread on the defensive side of the ball. I also think this carries into the college level -- Texas schools don't play defense very well, the Big 12 is full of Texas players, the Big 12 stinks at defense. Of course, as I write this I am remembering that Oklahoma played lock-down D last night against Ohio State. It's not a perfect theory. 

As far as which district looks better this year, I think Crosby is at least weaker than they have been the past few years. I think Nederland is stronger than we've all been suspecting. I think their games against Vidor and PAM will show us a lot. Barbers Hill is going to be solid. We'll have to see how much the storm affects the teams mentally. 

I pretty much agree with this but still trying to see if ned is that good or Dayton that bad. I guess time will tell...

11 hours ago, Vpirate02 said:

I pretty much agree with this but still trying to see if ned is that good or Dayton that bad. I guess time will tell...

I personally think it could be a little of both.  I think Dayton for sure isn't the Dayton of old, but Nederland might be a little better than expected.  Only time will tell.

8 minutes ago, indianforever said:

ive watched the Crosby and New Caney full games...strictly my opinion

1. New Caney

2. Barbers Hill

3. Crosby

4. Kingwood Park...(just a Guess for this position)

1. PNG

2. Memorial

3. Central

4. Nederland

I have no issue with this post. I've said since last spring the top 3 in 21-5A is set but the order is completely unknown. 

1 hour ago, indianforever said:

ive watched the Crosby and New Caney full games...strictly my opinion

1. New Caney

2. Barbers Hill

3. Crosby

4. Kingwood Park...(just a Guess for this position)

1. PNG

2. Memorial

3. Central

4. Nederland

I'm going to come back and visit this post in a couple of weeks...

2 hours ago, Vpirate02 said:

Yes you will. Right after the vidor game I expect. Except you won't be saying what you think you're gonna be saying...... :)

Hey man, if you look at my original prediction that I put out in July/August, I predicted Vidor getting the 4th spot over Nederland.  But now I don't know.  I really want Nederland to get in along with Memorial so we can go D2 for a change.  I don't know how Harvey affected the Pirates team and if they lost any key components and if everyone will be back for their 1st game which is against us on the 27th. 

Buy the way, we have a new DC that knows how to play the Slot T and an new OC that knows how to use his talent and isn't afraid to let it rip.  It won't even be close...

1 hour ago, Jag Insider said:

Hey man, if you look at my original prediction that I put out in July/August, I predicted Vidor getting the 4th spot over Nederland.  But now I don't know.  I really want Nederland to get in along with Memorial so we can go D2 for a change.  I don't know how Harvey affected the Pirates team and if they lost any key components and if everyone will be back for their 1st game which is against us on the 27th. 

Buy the way, we have a new DC that knows how to play the Slot T and an new OC that knows how to use his talent and isn't afraid to let it rip.  It won't even be close...

Don't forget y'all barely squeaked by Lumberton the last two years.... just had to throw that jab in there Jag Insider! Lol

On 9/9/2017 at 3:16 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

PAM defense is top notch just like last year. PNG from what has been said is the same, if not slightly worse. nederland is going to be one that's hard to judge because they are all healthy now compared to last year. Central is stated to be much improved. they always had the talent,but coaching was bad. after these teams, defense is pretty much absent in this district.