The Crosby/Jasper Crow Eating thread

Cougtalk

On 9/10/2017 at 10:08 PM, AggiesAreWe said:

What about spotting you guys 13 points before the 10 minute mark of the 1st Q? Those two fumbles were gifts, nothing created by Crosby. It seems you want to overlook that part of the game.

Also, Jasper went for it on 4th and 3 from their own 20. Resulted in a FG for Crosby. IMO, that's 16 points "gifted" to you guys and you won by 6.

Paint it as pretty as you need. Fact is, Crosby not as good as you want them to be.

Jasper fumbled a lot.  Quite a few bad snaps.  Their QB lost his composure and was screaming at his center.  He gathered it up pretty quick.  

The whole idea of "gifted" points excludes any context.  How were those points scored?  What was the score beforehand?  Field position?  They weren't "gifts".  Just points.

I made it to the game at 9 minutes to go in the first quarter.  Score was 13-0.  I thought “That was quick” and got to my seat.  I am a Crosby parent with 2 kids in the school system with one in athletics.  I am a little biased but this is what I saw –

·       Jasper has some undersized kids that play a lot bigger.  The JV/Freshman teams didn’t seem to have that issue.  They looked big and played that way. 

·       Crosby throttled back in the first half, again.  I am just a dude in the stands.  But I really think Crosby scores fast in the first half and pulls back.  Not just intensity from the kids.  Playcalling seems to drop off. 

·       One of the starting interior LB for Crosby is a soph.  One of the nicest kids from a great family.  He had 4 solo tackles and 1 sack. 

·       Defense looks young.  Except…

o   2 minutes to go in the 2nd half and Jasper has a long run to the Crosby 1 yard line.  Jasper had a sideline penalty on the run.  Backed them up 10 yards.  Defensive line for Crosby just brutalized them at the point of attack on 1st and 2nd down.  3rd and 4th down were both sacks. 

·       Jasper recovered an onside kick (perfectly executed) to start the second half.  Promptly scores.

·       (Gulp)

·       Jasper recovered another onside kick.  I am not a mean guy but this kinda stuff is why I would expect a team to be ruthless at least for the first half.  Jasper has momentum and is knocking on the door to taking the lead in this game. 

Ball game is back and forth at this point but Jasper is starting to look winded and Crosby is playing very vanilla. 

Jasper offense is built for ball control and consistent scores but only has one speed.  There is no up-tempo.  They are down by 7 for most of the second half and even have the ball with a minute to go.  They never changed tempo.   

Jasper never stopped fighting.  Crosby left a lot on the table here.  Not including the 2 TD’s called back for holding. 

Tough game next week for Crosby.

I'm sorry, but when a team (Jasper) fumbles the opening kickoff (without any contact, muffed the kick) setting up the opponent (Crosby) at the 15, then fumbling (no contact, fumbled the pitch) on their 2nd play of their first possession, setting up Crosby at the 6, well the result is 13 points on just 21 yards of offense in less than 2 minutes of game clock.

That's a gift.

57 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I'm sorry, but when a team (Jasper) fumbles the opening kickoff (without any contact, muffed the kick) setting up the opponent (Crosby) at the 15, then fumbling (no contact, fumbled the pitch) on their 2nd play of their first possession, setting up Crosby at the 6, well the result is 13 points on just 21 yards of offense in less than 2 minutes of game clock.

That's a gift.

So would this be considered an excuse ?

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

That's a gift.

18 minutes ago, CCbigfan said:

It's only an excuse if Crosby fans were to point things like this out. 

What I do agree with is excuses / reasons don't matter. Did you win or did you lose?

34 minutes ago, CCbigfan said:

Nope, fact.

Those were gifts that helped Crosby to a lead. Credit to them for keeping the lead.

But 14.2 wanted to ignore that fact. Wanted to use the holding penalties as excuses for why Crosby didn't score 56.

I pointed out that 16 of the 42 points that Crosby scored were "gifts" from Jasper.

I personally believe the better team won. Just that Crosby is not 56-14 better than Jasper.

15 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

That's a gift.

Aha.  I didn't get to the game until 9:00 left in the first quarter.  Score was 13-0.   I never asked anybody about those first 13.  Credit to Jasper to keep fighting, lots of teams would have just laid down.  

Jasper did fumble a lot through the game I saw.  

I think the score is an accurate reflection of the two teams.  Getting off into the "well if this happened then this and then that" kind of conversations are a waste.  I am guilty of them also but we can't predict the future or the different outcomes if things had changed.  

Predictions are such a roll of the dice.  Makes it fun though. 

On 9/9/2017 at 8:35 AM, bronco pride said:

I actually love watching a lot of the lower classifications play. Seen some hellacious small school football teams. Side note. Kinda funny how Cold Spring was a powerhouse for years. Then they run off a great coach and now Shepard whooping that arse. Give me a program and coaching regardless of enrollment any day.

And guess where that former Coldspring coach is now.  Helping his brother at Jasper!  Offense I think.