22-5A Question

RaiderRed30

1 hour ago, PlayActionPass said:

I really think they have to do whatever possible to keep the competitive balance as even as they possibly can. Obviously Vidor is going to be at a huge disadvantage with the amount of damage to the school and town, but the DEC has a responsibility to do everything possible to keep the playing field level.  

In your opinion, do you make 8 schools wait on the one who can't play? Legit question, and I'm just curious of your thoughts.

31 minutes ago, The Icon said:

In your opinion, do you make 8 schools wait on the one who can't play? Legit question, and I'm just curious of your thoughts.

Unless Vidor tells the district that it will not compete in district play, the UIL says yes.

And there is precedent for it.  After Rita hit, the district that West Brook and Memorial were in (strangely enough, 22-5A) voted to proceed with the the other 6 teams competing for the district title and leaving West Brook and Memorial out of it, even though neither school intended to shut down for the season, but like Vidor in this case, wouldn't be able to start at the same time that the other 6 did.  The UIL stepped in and made 22-5A go back to the drawing board citing its policy that any certification of district standings must be fair to all participants.

That district ultimately decided to break the district into zones.

1 hour ago, The Icon said:

I was wondering the same thing when I heard Baytown Lee, PN-G and Nederland all had games this coming weeweekend.  And if I recall, at least the later 2 had scrimmages.  This will be our 1st time this year suiting up against anyone besides ourselves and today was the 1st practice since August 24th...

2 hours ago, Jag Insider said:

I was wondering the same thing when I heard Baytown Lee, PN-G and Nederland all had games this coming weeweekend.  And if I recall, at least the later 2 had scrimmages.  This will be our 1st time this year suiting up against anyone besides ourselves and today was the 1st practice since August 24th...

Just to recap

Nederland, Lumberton, PNG, Livingston and Lee have games

PAM and Central have scrimmages

Vidor still out of commission with the goal of starting school on the 19th

11 hours ago, The Icon said:

Just to recap

PAM and Central have scrimmages

Just to recap

PAM, Ozen and Central have scrimmages

17 hours ago, The Icon said:

I think you have to level the playing field as much as possible. It will never be completely fair or even this year, but the opportunity has to be there for all participants. The precedent has been set by the UIL that they will allow teams to play games every 5 days until all games are made up, with that being said, I think this will be the final outcome and ultimate decision with the District games starting as soon as possible.