Starting to hear word of cancellations in the Houston area.

WOSgrad

15 hours ago, Jag Insider said:

Hush...

I like football too. I'm sad my son isn't playing this week. But i'd rather they cancel the games so people can begin to put their lives together.  Being safe and getting some peace of mind is much more important than the game of football. 

I hope everyone in the golden triangle comes out of this okay.

As of now, Woodville/Corrigan-Camden is still on.  Coach Robinson will monitor the effects of Harvey tonight and see if that is still the case.  Fortunately, it appears that Woodville folks have not had it as bad as the rest of us.

A final decision has not been made on West Sabine/Timpson.  Coach Wallace told me that they are considering a Saturday kickoff in Timpson.

First, let me say that our thoughts and prayers up in East Texas are with all of the folks down south who are being displaced or affected by this storm.  While football is way down the list of concerns by most, it is at least something that has to be discussed.

I am coaching now at a private school in Bullard (Brook Hill) and we have two Houston area teams on the schedule for September 15 and 22, and are having conversations about whether those schools will even be ready to play at that time.  While the fields and roads are destroyed, you have to consider whether or not schools lost equipment, transportation, etc.

I am glad to see all of these Texans answering the bell and helping each other out.  But high school football for many schools may not happen all year long.

5 hours ago, HubTx said:

First, let me say that our thoughts and prayers up in East Texas are with all of the folks down south who are being displaced or affected by this storm.  While football is way down the list of concerns by most, it is at least something that has to be discussed.

I am coaching now at a private school in Bullard (Brook Hill) and we have two Houston area teams on the schedule for September 15 and 22, and are having conversations about whether those schools will even be ready to play at that time.  While the fields and roads are destroyed, you have to consider whether or not schools lost equipment, transportation, etc.

I am glad to see all of these Texans answering the bell and helping each other out.  But high school football for many schools may not happen all year long.

Good to hear from you again, Jereme!

7 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

At this point, it is probably best to now do it this way.  The following are the only games that I have not received word of cancellation:

Hemphill at San Augustine

Woodville at Corrigan-Camden

Sabine Pass at Pasadena First Baptist

Acadiana Christian vs. West Hardin

West Sabine at Timpson

Jasper at Ozen

If anyone has heard anything about these games, please let me know.

Thats a big wow on that one

1 hour ago, TexazBall said:

With the water outages and just some of  the flooding in SETX do yall think the same thing could happen next week with the game cancellations?? 

There will be some schools that probably won't play for a couple of weeks. And some schools won't play a home game for awhile I would bet. I just saw where Rockport is basically telling kids they should go ahead and enroll in other schools because it's going to be so long before their district is up and running.

10 hours ago, TexazBall said:

With the water outages and just some of  the flooding in SETX do yall think the same thing could happen next week with the game cancellations?? 

I kind of figure that 22-5A will start playing football when district starts at the earliest.  Most of the schools in 22-5A are scheduled to play schools in the Houston area.  With Central's week 2 opponent being Katy Tompkins, in Katy, I doubt that's going to happen.  I doubt BISD starts school on the 5th, more like the 11th in my opinion...

4 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

I kind of figure that 22-5A will start playing football when district starts at the earliest.  Most of the schools in 22-5A are scheduled to play schools in the Houston area.  With Central's week 2 opponent being Katy Tompkins, in Katy, I doubt that's going to happen.  I doubt BISD starts school on the 5th, more like the 11th in my opinion...

I think you are gonna see most of the schools in the area operate on that time table.