1985 Yates vs 1988 Dallas Carter

D3zii

After watching that new 30 for 30 about the 1988 Dallas Carter team, people started to debate not only in the State of Texas but Nation wide/ESPN on who would win a game out of two of the best teams to ever play Highschool football in the State of Texas 

heres an article 

This is the hidden content, please

just to add my two cents , A while back on this board I posted about this, and I'm sticking with my guns. I'll take that 1985 Houston Yates team,.p I watch them play personally I couldn't believe how fast that Defense was as well as how good the running back Bailey was..

That Yates Team imo doesn't get enough Credit like that 1988 Carter team 

33 minutes ago, bronco pride said:

I could be looking at the wrong schedule for 88 Carter team but if it's correct they won 5 games by 7pts or less and had a tie with Duncanville. If they were the best ever there must of been a lot of teams they played that were absolutely loaded too. 85 Yates was much more dominate in their championship run.

That's correct, and I believe because of the tie with Duncanville and point differential, Carter did not even win their own district championship. Duncanville did.

38 minutes ago, Matthew328 said:

Carter was maybe more talented that Yates (barely) but Yates was a better team IMO....

Carter just gets talked about more because of the grade issue and the robberies afterwards...

the 30/30 is a must watch though it was outstanding

Probably the best 30for30 I've seen since that Michigan Basketball one 

Now I wouldn't say Carter is the best highschool Team, but I would say they probably had the most talent (28 college football signees and 4 NFL players, and probably more if thoes kids don't make thoes bad choices)

18 minutes ago, TexazBall said:

Probably the best 30for30 I've seen since that Michigan Basketball one 

Now I wouldn't say Carter is the best highschool Team, but I would say they probably had the most talent (28 college football signees and 4 NFL players, and probably more if thoes kids don't make thoes bad choices)

Now the fact they had the most D1 players or even the most players that went to the NFL is quantifiable. My eyes tell me after watching thousands of high school games though that they were definitely not the best texas high school football team ever. I'm going to make a comparison to a great team in our area. WOS team last year was the best I have seen them produce in a long time. Having said that last years team was not the most talented team I have seen from them if you strictly look at FBS talent. I would also say that even though it was a much lower classification what Dangerfield did in I believe 83 was the most dominant season in Texas high school football ever. Defense didn't allow a TD the entire year. Only gave up 8 pts the entire year and scored over 600. All this to say I totally agree with your comment. Lol

1 hour ago, bronco pride said:

Now the fact they had the most D1 players or even the most players that went to the NFL is quantifiable. My eyes tell me after watching thousands of high school games though that they were definitely not the best texas high school football team ever. I'm going to make a comparison to a great team in our area. WOS team last year was the best I have seen them produce in a long time. Having said that last years team was not the most talented team I have seen from them if you strictly look at FBS talent. I would also say that even though it was a much lower classification what Dangerfield did in I believe 83 was the most dominant season in Texas high school football ever. Defense didn't allow a TD the entire year. Only gave up 8 pts the entire year and scored over 600. All this to say I totally agree with your comment. Lol

They(Dangerfield) gave up 6 to Carthage, who won 4A that year.  We would've been smoked had we beaten Sweeny in the Semi's.....

21 minutes ago, SFA85 said:

They(Dangerfield) gave up 6 to Carthage, who won 4A that year.  We would've been smoked had we beaten Sweeny in the Semi's.....

That team was crazy. Carthage returned an interception for a td and Dangerfield gave up another 2pts on a safety.  Defense never gave up a point. That will probably never be done again.

48 minutes ago, SFA85 said:

85 Yates

88 Carter

83 Dangerfield

That's it.  That's the p

Meh...

i went on a rant on Twitter last night but I believe all three were overhyped.  That's not the same as saying they weren't great but they all have a built up media aura around them that just wasn't true.

Look up what Bay City did in 1983.  They won 4A that year, not Carthage and I'd have put money on Bay City if they had faced Daingerfield.  The Permian team Carter beat in 1988 lost 3 games and Carter wouldn't have even qualified for the playoffs had it been 7 years earlier.  WOS played that 1985 Yates team in the 3rd round of the playoffs in the Astrodome as one of the smallest 5A teams in the state (we dropped to 4A the next year) and WOS was winning that game deep into the 4th Quarter until Yates got two very late TDs to win 19-6.  I was at that game as a Junior in high school.

In answer to the original thread question: Yates over Carter no question.

I'd put 2003 North Shore over both of them.  Only one team scored more than 7 points against them that season in the age of the Spread and no one ever seems to give them credit.

13 minutes ago, Gasilla said:

Really hard to make a good comparison on these. You simply can't ignore the pre and post Spread Offense asterisk. What Daingerfield and Yates did (IMO Carter isn't even in this convo) is unreal. But a team in the Spread era giving up less than a TD a game is equally impressive.

I believe Katy in 2015 only gave up about 4pts a game and had 10 shutouts. Your right though spread offenses have changed what it means to shut a team down. I think holding a team scoreless in this era is much more difficult.

Just finished the documentary.  I remember that team well, my senior year of HS.  Growing up in East Texas, Marshall with Odell Beckham, Sr. was the team that year, beating the FNL Permian team in a non-district game.  Carter scored on a last second TD to beat the Mavericks that year.  It's tough to measure dominance with that team given the circus that surrounded the entire playoffs.  But I don't think you can call them in any shape or fashion the best "team" ever in Texas.  Now if you're talking about the most "talented" team ever, they are at the top of the conversation.  8 pros and they would have likely had at LEAST one more out of the ones who went to prison (Evans, who was probably the second best player on that team behind Armstead). 

2 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Just finished the documentary.  I remember that team well, my senior year of HS.  Growing up in East Texas, Marshall with Odell Beckham, Sr. was the team that year, beating the FNL Permian team in a non-district game.  Carter scored on a last second TD to beat the Mavericks that year.  It's tough to measure dominance with that team given the circus that surrounded the entire playoffs.  But I don't think you can call them in any shape or fashion the best "team" ever in Texas.  Now if you're talking about the most "talented" team ever, they are at the top of the conversation.  8 pros and they would have likely had at LEAST one more out of the ones who went to prison (Evans, who was probably the second best player on that team behind Armstead). 

Did you happen to catch it when it came on or were you able to pull it up and watch? If so, how?

10 minutes ago, Gasilla said:

Did you happen to catch it when it came on or were you able to pull it up and watch? If so, how?

I dvr'd it (and learned a while ago to do an add on with 30 for 30s since premieres usually follow some game).  It will be replayed I'm sure over the next week.  Eventually I think they put them on Netflix. 

Was really well done like most of them are.  

12 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

It will be on ESPN2 tomorrow at 8:30 pm

It was pretty gud.85 Yates were really gud. But here is the thing. W.o.s team 85 season probably go down as the most talented team ever should have beaten them. and we wouldn't even be having that discussion. If any yall can remember that's wat started this whole chain gang.lead them 6-0. Missed xtra point. And things after that never could get us over the top.ppl forget w.o missed 2 easy fgs, and was inside the 5yd line and fumbled. Whoever knew any of those players from Yates that year.kno we gave them one.from Melvins foster,Mark price,Johnny bailey,and the rest of them know. U can't squander chances against a great team.and not to mention w.o played without a blue chip RB bcz he tore his knee up the week before. Made a big difference. But it's apart of the game.c/o of 86 will always be one of the greatest ever.and they keep talking abt Daingerfield. They wouldn't had a chance against us. So if anyone ever wanted watched defense in action 87 mustangs on a whole nother level.