West Orange-Stark at Port Neches-Groves Scrimmage/Post comments here!

WOSgrad

5 minutes ago, Goblin said:

WOS 16

PNG 14

FINAL

5 minutes ago, wo-s#1 said:

Btw some of y'all who want the score.....16-14 WOS

So we were close but no cigar this time. All good, as long as problems are identified and corrected by game 1. Good game guys.

Although I wasn't there, sounds like it was a great scrimmage. Hopefully both of our teams found some bright spots and suspect spots. Let's face it, both of our teams have HUGE expectations this year and are no threat to one another's season. I have a very good feeling about the NDN's this year. My only hope is they don't rely mostly on Roschon. For a QB as good as him to be effective, you have to have a good running game to set him up and let him do his thing. On the flip side of the coin, I hope Roshon doesn't feel he has to put the whole team on his back to have success. Anyways, I've always been a fan of PNG(when they weren't in our district lol) scalp 'em! On our side, how did we look? This won't be a fair question most likely, but I'm asking PNG fans only here. Could you NDNs tell a huge difference in this years Mustangs vs last years? Or do y'all honestly think we can make another run????

I went to this scrimmage to get a football fix, lol. The Mustangs are pretty good. Their QB was very impressive. Other than two plays the Mustangs defense pretty much dictated all four quarters. The PNG QB is as good as advertised. His ability to make something happen is basically their offense. The Indian defense is a little undersized but plays hard. It was a good practice for both teams.

8 minutes ago, Yeoj said:

I went to this scrimmage to get a football fix, lol. The Mustangs are pretty good. Their QB was very impressive. Other than two plays the Mustangs defense pretty much dictated all four quarters. The PNG QB is as good as advertised. His ability to make something happen is basically their offense. The Indian defense is a little undersized but plays hard. It was a good practice for both teams.

That's my point about PNG. We all know what RJ can do. However, in my opinion, for him to be the player he is and be more, the NDNs HAVE to get a good running game. No, I'm not an expert but I have seen this before. 2005 WOS......even though we had a young Earl Thomas at RB, we had an amazing QB in Deion Beasly. We ran through district and the playoffs basically using Deion speed and athleticism that no one could match. In my opinion, it was Deion left, Deion right and the pass was secondary. Then we ran into a team that knew all they had to do was stop those plays. That was Wimberley. Yes, our Defence gave up the most points in our history but if we would have been a little more balanced on offense and not relied on our QB so much, we probably could have atleast kept up with their scoring. Or maybe went up a few TD's and the D would haven't have had to be on the field so long. 

2 hours ago, biaplayer said:

Just got here long score pass from RJ to Riggs beautiful,toast

That was the best play of the nite. W.o trying to experiment with #18 at safety isn't going to work with him back deep. I'm truly glad last year safety got back to his position. 

53 minutes ago, Yeoj said:

Png running game will get better. RJ is the truth. He threw a couple darts that froze the defense. My one concern with the offense is dat the wrs didn't get open enough to help him out.i would luv to see png do alot more combination routes wit there wide outs. They are fundamental sound ball club. Me personally I love to see well coached high school teams.

41 minutes ago, dj said:

Png running game will get better. RJ is the truth. He threw a couple darts that froze the defense. My one concern with the offense is dat the wrs didn't get open enough to help him out.i would luv to see png do alot more combination routes wit there wide outs. They are fundamental sound ball club. Me personally I love to see well coached high school teams.

With PNG having a UT commit, they have to do two things. Protect him and give him options. Spread it out and run atleast 2 receivers on intermediate routes. That will tie up the line backers and ease a pass rush. Then RJ can look at the primary but knows he can check down or atleast have a wrinkle to run. Tom Brady and the Pats are masters at it. Dink and dunk until the the long ball or "strike" is open. 

Watson was sharp on his first drive. Mustangs drove straight down the field for the first TD. He used his legs and his arm to get things going. Missed extra point.

PNG drive was stalled at the WOS 34. Johnson would've been gone on a run, but the refs blew it dead. QB's weren't allowed to go too far before the plays were stopped.  

After a few 3 and outs Johnson hit Riggs for a long TD in the 2nd. 7-6 PNG

Johnson's only interception came on a hail mary in the final seconds of the second quarter. 

First play of the 3rd it was Johnson to Riggs for 70 yards. 14-6 PNG

Two plays later Ja'Vonn Ross busted two tackles and was gone. 

PNG was leading 14-13 heading into the fourth. After a bad snap the Indians had terrible field position. The punt was short and WOS took advantage.

The short drive stalled, but still set up a Chad Dallas field goal with 5 minutes left in the fourth. 

After that both teams put in reserves. 

This is the hidden content, please

28 minutes ago, AshlyVYPE said:

Watson was sharp on his first drive. Mustangs drove straight down the field for the first TD. He used his legs and his arm to get things going. Missed extra point.

PNG drive was stalled at the WOS 34. Johnson would've been gone on a run, but the refs blew it dead. QB's weren't allowed to go too far before the plays were stopped.  

After a few 3 and outs Johnson hit Riggs for a long TD in the 2nd. 7-6 PNG

Johnson's only interception came on a hail mary in the final seconds of the second quarter. 

First play of the 3rd it was Johnson to Riggs for 70 yards. 14-6 PNG

Two plays later *Ja'Vonn Ross busted two tackles and was gone. 

PNG was leading 14-13 heading into the fourth. After a bad snap the Indians had terrible field position. The punt was short and WOS took advantage.

The short drive stalled, but still set up a Chad Dallas field goal with 5 minutes left in the fourth. 

After that both teams put in reserves. 

This is the hidden content, please

*K. Cooper#23

48 minutes ago, AshlyVYPE said:

I think it's way too early to even see anything like that. Comparing scrimmages (whatever that's worth) WOS dominated PNG last year. That wasn't the case tonight.

Well,from listening to what Ronnie is saying, he is making it out like WOS is garbage. Easy to jump on the bandwagon I see. Not talking about you, Ash. 

way too early to say, it was a good scrimmage. RJ to Riggs is a thing of beauty, a lot of people will get torched by that combination, if we can get Stansbury to make plays and Preston Hughes to do his thing it will be a fun season. WOS will be fine, They put pressure on RJ every play, our offensive line was struggling. I believe as time rolls on WOS will fine tune the offense and the defense and run thru their district as usual and steamroll deep into the playoffs. I didn't like the touch QB crap but you have to protect your players. Couldn't believe the ref let PNG Sack the WOS QB like they did. WOS had a TD stopped on the Option pitch that I thought was premature. I think both teams will do very well this year, good to see both teams rebuilding and knocking the rust off. IT will be a fun ride this year for both teams, good luck to WOS will be following them as I always do come playoff time. Curious to see how PNG looks against West Brook next week.