Christopher Columbus statue vandalized in Houston last night

team first

16 minutes ago, westend1 said:

Maybe it was because he was a slave trader.  Just saying

Well, that explains it - except he died in 1506 and the first slaves were not brought to the Americas until 1619.  And Wikipedia didn't mention him as a slave trader.  

Nice try though.

11 minutes ago, REBgp said:

Well, that explains it - except he died in 1506 and the first slaves were not brought to the Americas until 1619.  And Wikipedia didn't mention him as a slave trader.  

Nice try though.

Google Christopher Columbus and slaves,  then get back to me. Oh, btw, I checked Wikipedia and it says he "spearheaded the transatlantic slave trade"

26 minutes ago, westend1 said:

Google Christopher Columbus and slaves,  then get back to me. Oh, btw, I checked Wikipedia and it says he "spearheaded the transatlantic slave trade"

So what? It happened. Can't change history. Tearing down a statue won't make it go away. You take sides with these people?

3 minutes ago, baddog said:

So what? It happened. Can't change history. Tearing down a statue won't make it go away. You take sides with these people?

I don't care if its there or not. Reb thought maybe the vandals believed cc fought in the civil war.  I gave another option.  I thought you guys wanted debate?   Yes or  no?

50 minutes ago, westend1 said:

Spearheaded, and I'm not sure how they mean that, but if you click on it, you find that the first transatlantic slave ship to the Americas was by the Portuguese in 1529, 23 years after Columbus' death.  And a sincere note, take with a grain of salt anything you google, cause anything  is liable to come up.  My (limited) experience has shown me that Wikipedia is one of the more reliable sites, although I've seen some make fun of it.

33 minutes ago, westend1 said:

I don't care if its there or not. Reb thought maybe the vandals believed cc fought in the civil war.  I gave another option.  I thought you guys wanted debate?   Yes or  no?

I said so what to you, but it is meant for everyone. So what if slavery happened? It's been practiced since the beginning of man. Nothing you nor I can do to change it. Absolutely nothing. They were freed. What else can be done? Seems to me the ones who love to harp on it should concentrate their energy on stopping the slave trade happening today. But alas, that would not line their pockets.

10 minutes ago, baddog said:

I said so what to you, but it is meant for everyone. So what if slavery happened? It's been practiced since the beginning of man. Nothing you nor I can do to change it. Absolutely nothing. They were freed. What else can be done? Seems to me the ones who love to harp on it should concentrate their energy on stopping the slave trade happening today. But alas, that would not line their pockets.

I've been in the same office building for 17 years.  For the first time I now realize I can see a conferate statue from my window.  Never new what it was and never made the effort to walk over and look.  I assure you that I don't care either way. That said, some folks don't like them.  I say let the city decide (or college) and that should be the end of it

7 hours ago, westend1 said:

I've been in the same office building for 17 years.  For the first time I now realize I can see a conferate statue from my window.  Never new what it was and never made the effort to walk over and look.  I assure you that I don't care either way. That said, some folks don't like them.  I say let the city decide (or college) and that should be the end of it

I can assure you, in all honesty, the couple of Confederate statues I've seen, slavery never, ever, entered my mind.  But I guess that's not the point.  But your post reminds me of an article I read about the statues in New Orleans several months ago before statue destruction became a big deal.  Very few in NO could've cared less.  Then outsiders come in and stir the poo.  I'd bet now, it's important to many of those asked earlier.  Conversely, you end up with some folks on the right, who previously wouldn't have gone postal about a statue, joining crazy racist groups.  Imo, many join who aren't racist or Nazis, they just see them as the only ones who'll stand up to the destructors.  I can only guess that the folks who stirred up the poo, did so for a reason.  What the reason may be, would probably concern you and I both.  But since we're just discussing, I'll tell you, I'm at a loss to understand so many things going on.  To much hate.

16 minutes ago, westend1 said:

Probably not.  Unless you are black

1 hour ago, westend1 said:

How about the great pyramids of Egypt? They are shrines built by slaves. Hey, enter the Jews again. Are the Jews protesting against blacks about their pyramids? Should we tear them down? Has it been long enough to forget?