Assessments after day 1 of Pads

L-Train11

I was going to do this earlier but decided not to. Then I've seen a couple people inquiring about their teams, so i figured why not put it all in one place. So what's everyone's thoughts about their teams after seeing them in pads?? (BTW, I'm not looking for an argument of who is right and wrong, I just would like to know what y'all think. This is a Homer thread for sure!)

ill start it off with Lumberton. I think we may surprise people this year. We started practice off with the ole Oklahoma drill which I figured only WOS was still man enough  to  do. But it sure was nice to see some hitting. We will have a true pocket passer this year, assuming we will utilize him. Ward looked like a BEAST in Oklahoma (keep in mind our practice was cut short so I didn't get to really see much.) Conway is looking like a good back up, so the future looks bright with him and the qb coming back next year. We will have two big targets at TE and WR. And offensive line has some pretty good size as well!! I didn't get to see defense a lot since we didn't get to do team defense so I can't really comment much there. But we have decent size there as well. Barely anybody if any is going both ways so we should have fresh legs on the field at all times. This SHOULD work in our favor if we don't have many injuries. Mentally this is going to help tremendously. We have players focusing on their positions for 3 hours straight every day at practice without switching over to the other side of the ball like we used to. No reason for mental mistakes this year. Overall, based on last years games we lost which were close, and the fact that we fumbled a LOT, if we can minimize that then playoffs are not out of the question for L Town. 3rd place isn't unreachable either (I know I'll catch some crap about that statement.)

on a side note, I also keep up with silsbee pretty close. I've been going to their practice in the mornings and Lumberton in the evening. I'll leave the details to a silsbee native but I will say that Adonis is looking like the same beast we've seen the last two years plus a few more pounds of muscle, Barnes is barnes, and y'all will have at least two other threats at receiver as well. Collins has some good size and will make good decisions. Not entirely sure about him just yet, but I would be hopeful if I was a tiger.

Thats all for now, now let's hear about yalls teams!!

8 minutes ago, chorizo said:

Nederland looked pretty darn good this morning,lots of hitting going on and the offense looked good.defense did a good job also.i know I'm bias a little but I truly believe the dogs will surprise the doubters.

The dogs will be back in the post season,,mark that down!!!

Nice! I always like to see the new coach be successful in their first year. Good luck to y'all!

3 hours ago, Makemineaconvertible said:

Kirbyville is running an entirely new offense and defense. It was a very controlled first day in pads. Scrimmage vs Center this Friday at home should get a better assessment, but from what I saw I hate to say it but it's going to be a long year I'm afraid. 

Are y'all still scrimmaging us the week after? It's not on the schedule. 

Rumor has it ...... only 7 players suited up for pads.  Training staff and some dads had to fill out the missing positions so that practice could go on.  Someone's Grandma was playing the QB position - although I heard she has a pretty good arm and nice foootwork.  KP may start playing 6 man football.  IF they can get Grandma to move into the district ......

Nothing to see here. Move along .....

5 minutes ago, KPFan said:

Rumor has it ...... only 7 players suited up for pads.  Training staff and some dads had to fill out the missing positions so that practice could go on.  Someone's Grandma was playing the QB position - although I heard she has a pretty good arm and nice foootwork.  KP may start playing 6 man football.  IF they can get Grandma to move into the district ......

Nothing to see here. Move along .....

Y'all could compete in 7 on 7 against Dayton with Grandma at qb! :)

Woodville looked very good in the 30 minute sample of the 1st team offense that I saw. A few very interesting position changes that could potentially make them even more dangerous than they already are, as well as fill some big holes on the defensive side. Left tackle Cade Bass is a beast and is easily one of the top offensive line prospects in SETX. It was a very small sample size, but if it continues on the same path.....the rest of the district better bring their A-game. 

Really liking what I've seen from Crosby so far. I know a lot of Crosby fans have been worried about how the defense was going to look and if you watched the scrimmage Friday you probably walked away still wondering? I don't think the defense stopped the O one time when they went good on good but I really think the offense is just going to be that efficient with Howard at the helm.

On defense I feel like we have playmakers at all three levels. I think the defensive line may have been the biggest question mark on the team but it looked like we have some big bodies and nice depth at that position. If Crosby is going to beat a squad like FB Marshall the defensive line has to play at a high level, especially against the run game between the tackles. I think the strongest position on defense may be the linebacker spot. Hunter Moore will be a kid that plays on Saturday's for sure and Rashad Singleton(Raelon's little brother) might be the most freakish athlete in the district. I expect Singleton to be in consideration for defensive MVP of the district, I doubt anybody blocks him all year.

Offensively, the ball has rarely hit the ground during the scrimmage or team portion of practices. I would say we're a little less talented than we have been the past 5 or 6 years at the receiver spot but I'm not sure you need a bunch of big time playmakers when you have an efficient qb. That being said, I still feel like we'll have the strongest receiving core in the district along with maybe Porter.

If Crosby stays healthy, which is a BIG if, we're going to be very hard to play with for four quarters if you can't out-athlete us. We're about three kids stepping up away from having a special squad/season.

On 8/14/2017 at 9:02 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

Really liking what I've seen from Crosby so far. I know a lot of Crosby fans have been worried about how the defense was going to look and if you watched the scrimmage Friday you probably walked away still wondering? I don't think the defense stopped the O one time when they went good on good but I really think the offense is just going to be that efficient with Howard at the helm.

On defense I feel like we have playmakers at all three levels. I think the defensive line may have been the biggest question mark on the team but it looked like we have some big bodies and nice depth at that position. If Crosby is going to beat a squad like FB Marshall the defensive line has to play at a high level, especially against the run game between the tackles. I think the strongest position on defense may be the linebacker spot. Hunter Moore will be a kid that plays on Saturday's for sure and Rashad Singleton(Raelon's little brother) might be the most freakish athlete in the district. I expect Singleton to be in consideration for defensive MVP of the district, I doubt anybody blocks him all year.

Offensively, the ball has rarely hit the ground during the scrimmage or team portion of practices. I would say we're a little less talented than we have been the past 5 or 6 years at the receiver spot but I'm not sure you need a bunch of big time playmakers when you have an efficient qb. That being said, I still feel like we'll have the strongest receiving core in the district along with maybe Porter.

If Crosby stays healthy, which is a BIG if, we're going to be very hard to play with for four quarters if you can't out-athlete us. We're about three kids stepping up away from having a special squad/season.

I agree with this assessment. Especially the part about health. If relatively injury free it could be a fun year. Like most programs there are a few keys players that are very difficult to replace if injured.