8th Grader

Somehow, I don't think I would just pull these things out of my behind.  He was born on 3/12/02.  I will be waiting anxiously to see if my math was correct.  

Somehow, if someone knew he's been playing 17u for the last two years, they wouldn't wonder about his age affecting offers.  

22 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Somehow, I don't think I would just pull these things out of my behind.  He was born on 3/12/02.  I will be waiting anxiously to see if my math was correct.  

Somehow, if someone knew he's been playing 17u for the last two years, they wouldn't wonder about his age affecting offers.  

If you really read my remark the way it was intended it was directed at the other participant in this thread thinking he was in 8th grade...like I stated I don't think many offers would be coming for a 16 year old 8th grader!

On 8/9/2017 at 7:55 AM, ST413 said:

If you really read my remark the way it was intended it was directed at the other participant in this thread thinking he was in 8th grade...like I stated I don't think many offers would be coming for a 16 year old 8th grader!

Yes there would be. Grade Exceptions are a premium at that level. Especially at AAU Nationals.

• 4 weeks later...

I watched a couple videos.  The kid has skill for sure but hard for me to come to a conclusion.  I wish I could've seen him play some defense....or see how he responds to some actual defense being played on him.  I truly do hate AAU scenarios because of that.  5 defenders standing inside the 3 point line seeing who can allow the best highlight reel.

52 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I watched a couple videos.  The kid has skill for sure but hard for me to come to a conclusion.  I wish I could've seen him play some defense....or see how he responds to some actual defense being played on him.  I truly do hate AAU scenarios because of that.  5 defenders standing inside the 3 point line seeing who can allow the best highlight reel.

Depends on the scenario I guess.  "AAU" is a broad and misused term but I am guessing most use it for summer basketball in general.  On the highest level (the shoe circuits), they actually vary greatly in style.  On the EYBL (Nike) where Boo Williams plays, I would tend to agree with you on lack of defense.  On the UAA (Under Armour) where there is a heavy dose of East Coast teams, there is a premium on tough, physical defense.  I saw him play a couple of intercircuit games.  He can play against tough defense and is a decent defender.  Only real limitation I saw was size.  But as an 8th grader starting at the point on a 13-3 17u EYBL team, I have a sneaking suspicion the offers will be flowing.  

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

Depends on the scenario I guess.  "AAU" is a broad and misused term but I am guessing most use it for summer basketball in general.  On the highest level (the shoe circuits), they actually vary greatly in style.  On the EYBL (Nike) where Boo Williams plays, I would tend to agree with you on lack of defense.  On the UAA (Under Armour) where there is a heavy dose of East Coast teams, there is a premium on tough, physical defense.  I saw him play a couple of intercircuit games.  He can play against tough defense and is a decent defender.  Only real limitation I saw was size.  But as an 8th grader starting at the point on a 13-3 17u EYBL team, I have a sneaking suspicion the offers will be flowing.  

There's no doubt the kid can play.  And if he was given ANY offers then I trust that a college coach recognizes the potential to produce in a college game.  Which is impressive.  I'm just stating that I didn't see a whole lot on the defensive side in the couple of videos I saw.  And I'm a defense guy...so I like seeing a kid lock down someone and utilize help and floor spacing.  All I'm saying.  Best of luck to the kid.  I hope it all works out.

21 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

There's no doubt the kid can play.  And if he was given ANY offers then I trust that a college coach recognizes the potential to produce in a college game.  Which is impressive.  I'm just stating that I didn't see a whole lot on the defensive side in the couple of videos I saw.  And I'm a defense guy...so I like seeing a kid lock down someone and utilize help and floor spacing.  All I'm saying.  Best of luck to the kid.  I hope it all works out.

Unfortunately, highlight videos rarely feature any defense whatsoever.  As a defensive guy myself, i put little to no stock in them.  Prefer to see a kid with my own eyes. 

6 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Unfortunately, highlight videos rarely feature any defense whatsoever.  As a defensive guy myself, i put little to no stock in them.  Prefer to see a kid with my own eyes. 

I'm exactly the same way.  Which is why I said I can't draw a definite conclusion from those particular videos.  I knew it would happen...but was hoping to at least see someone trying to stop him from scoring.  Rather than just kind of standing in the way and then zero help being offered from anyone else.  But I could tell immediately that he has skill.  Offensively anyway..

6 hours ago, ST413 said:

To me it depends on why you are 16 in the 8th grade more so than his skills at this point.  

He turns 16 this fall year as a freshman.  Was 15 this summer playing on a level higher than you will see in high school ball.  So he's just a one year reclass, which is not that uncommon.  Silsbee has at least two of those, that I'm aware of, on this year's team.  As do a LOT of schools.  And both, like this kid, did it before they ever got to high school.  

• 3 weeks later...