Goose Creek ISD Scheduling

sahen

So, I am not going to pretend I know a lot about scheduling, but I have seen a lot of football over the years. I was making out my yearly spreadsheet and I saw some weird stuff going on with Baytown Sterling's scheduling. Sterling plays all their non-district games away and doesn't play a home game until October 6th. I have never seen that happen before. So I decide to check Memorial's schedule. Other than their game against Lee which has to be in Baytown they don't play a game in Baytown until October 5th. So then I go check out Lee's schedule. Lee only has 2 non-district games and both of them are away (they do have the one against Memorial which is "away" but in Baytown). I understand there is no control over district scheduling so I am not complaining about that, but of the 3 Baytown schools there is only 1 home game in nondistrict and that is when Memorial plays Lee. Whats the deal here? Seems like whoever schedules for Goose Creek ISD is doing a really poor job. Am I missing something here?

8 hours ago, sahen said:

So, I am not going to pretend I know a lot about scheduling, but I have seen a lot of football over the years. I was making out my yearly spreadsheet and I saw some weird stuff going on with Baytown Sterling's scheduling. Sterling plays all their non-district games away and doesn't play a home game until October 6th. I have never seen that happen before. So I decide to check Memorial's schedule. Other than their game against Lee which has to be in Baytown they don't play a game in Baytown until October 5th. So then I go check out Lee's schedule. Lee only has 2 non-district games and both of them are away (they do have the one against Memorial which is "away" but in Baytown). I understand there is no control over district scheduling so I am not complaining about that, but of the 3 Baytown schools there is only 1 home game in nondistrict and that is when Memorial plays Lee. Whats the deal here? Seems like whoever schedules for Goose Creek ISD is doing a really poor job. Am I missing something here?

Sounds like the goose is on the loose

8 hours ago, sahen said:

This season is the tradeoff the GCCISD schools having all of their non-district games at Stallworth last year.  Most coaches try to balance home and away, but sometimes you have to take what you can get.

5 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

This season is the tradeoff the GCCISD schools having all of their non-district games at Stallworth last year.  Most coaches try to balance home and away, but sometimes you have to take what you can get.

To me that sounds like poor scheduling in both years. I just don't see how there was no way they couldn't have worked out at least one game in Baytown for non-district for Sterling and Memorial. Lee is more restrained as their bye is in the middle of District play so they have 2 weeks to take what they can get, but both Sterling and Memorial have their bye the 4th week of the season. Seems like they could have worked something out to get 1 of the 3 games in Baytown. This year this effects Sterling more than Memorial as Memorial gets to play Lee as a non-district, but if they keep up this scheduling eventually it will bite Memorial as well. Hopefully, the scheduler can work out a mix of home and away in the future.

34 minutes ago, sahen said:

To me that sounds like poor scheduling in both years. I just don't see how there was no way they couldn't have worked out at least one game in Baytown for non-district for Sterling and Memorial. Lee is more restrained as their bye is in the middle of District play so they have 2 weeks to take what they can get, but both Sterling and Memorial have their bye the 4th week of the season. Seems like they could have worked something out to get 1 of the 3 games in Baytown. This year this effects Sterling more than Memorial as Memorial gets to play Lee as a non-district, but if they keep up this scheduling eventually it will bite Memorial as well. Hopefully, the scheduler can work out a mix of home and away in the future.

I might be wrong on this, but my understanding is that even in school districts with multiple schools e.g. BISD and GCCSID), coaches of the individual schools have pretty much complete autonomy in making their non-district schedule. There is no one "scheduler" to sort things out.  I guess the coaches could run their game schedules by the district AD, but that delay might cost them some games.

It is unusual that Sterling decided to agree to a schedule that left it without a home game in pre-district as most coaches with 3 non-district games will try to get at least one road game and one home game to keep some sort of balance in the following season.  But with competing desires from the coaches you are dealing with, I guess that is sometimes hard to achieve.

The area around the stadium is also be converted into the new bus facility. Lots of cosmetics left. Parking is not as abundant as it once was. Pretty much half the east side of the stadium has been devoted to buses.

They may have included that factor into the schedule cause we all know an 8 month project is really 12 months. Lol

25 minutes ago, LP0175 said:

The area around the stadium is also be converted into the new bus facility. Lots of cosmetics left. Parking is not as abundant as it once was. Pretty much half the east side of the stadium has been devoted to buses.

They may have included that factor into the schedule cause we all know an 8 month project is really 12 months. Lol

They should build another parking lot across the street next to Gentry Junior High.

On 8/4/2017 at 8:25 PM, LP0175 said:

I guess that is possible, but that work is being done on the away side. Not to mention its not like the Baytown schools are filling up the stadium anymore. Just a really odd scheduling set up this year I guess. 

On 8/5/2017 at 9:37 PM, sahen said:

I guess that is possible, but that work is being done on the away side. Not to mention its not like the Baytown schools are filling up the stadium anymore. Just a really odd scheduling set up this year I guess. 

I guess it will only affect them hosting playoff games. Some schools bring the whole town like PNG and Nederland. Parking becomes an issue then. Lol

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, panamamyers said:

Stallworth was not close to being ready to have a real game after going to the Lee scrimmage.

Bathrooms under construction. Had to use port a potties. 

This is probably why they scheduled how they did along with the new bus barn being built.

Good info panama. I didn't know they were working on the stadium itself. I thought they were just adding the bus barn.