Re-Alignment Changes

WOSgrad

10 hours ago, walldrill said:

Wouldn't BISD petition to keep Ozen in 5A? I think their numbers were low enough last time to drop them into the local 4A district.

All BISD has to do is change the attendance zones of a couple of elementary schools east of I-10 and Ozen's numbers issues would be solved....

3 hours ago, SFA85 said:

All BISD has to do is change the attendance zones of a couple of elementary schools east of I-10 and Ozen's numbers issues would be solved....

Would the majority of BMT residents be happy if the ISD had not closed/consolidated some of the schools?  Would there be more school pride and overall community unity had the ISD left open the following schools and required children to attend the schools in their neighborhoods?  

Hebert

South Park

Forest Park

French

BC-P

When I was in school, it seemed all of BMT had pride in their community schools.  I can remember BMT rallying around Hebert in the late seventies, rallying around French in 1984 ("Solid as a Rock" by Asford and Simpson).  I'm not discounting the success of WB, e.g., 1982 State Championship, but would BMT ISD be better or worse if Hebert, SP, FP, French, and BC-P existed in 2017?

I don't pretend to know the answer.  Just wondering if the concept of neighborhood schools and community pride would have boosted BISD's numbers.  Maybe not.  The increasing numbers of private schools have changed all public school districts.  The options I remember were public school, Bishop Byrne, and Kelly.  Now, there are too many to name...plus home schooling.

You think BMT will follow PA's path and consolidate to one large HS with mega numbers or keep the schools in place now?

Go Indians.  Peace.

3 hours ago, 1989NDN said:

Would the majority of BMT residents be happy if the ISD had not closed/consolidated some of the schools?  Would there be more school pride and overall community unity had the ISD left open the following schools and required children to attend the schools in their neighborhoods?  

Hebert

South Park

Forest Park

French

BC-P

When I was in school, it seemed all of BMT had pride in their community schools.  I can remember BMT rallying around Hebert in the late seventies, rallying around French in 1984 ("Solid as a Rock" by Asford and Simpson).  I'm not discounting the success of WB, e.g., 1982 State Championship, but would BMT ISD be better or worse if Hebert, SP, FP, French, and BC-P existed in 2017?

I don't pretend to know the answer.  Just wondering if the concept of neighborhood schools and community pride would have boosted BISD's numbers.  Maybe not.  The increasing numbers of private schools have changed all public school districts.  The options I remember were public school, Bishop Byrne, and Kelly.  Now, there are too many to name...plus home schooling.

You think BMT will follow PA's path and consolidate to one large HS with mega numbers or keep the schools in place now?

Go Indians.  Peace.

From where I sit, no.  That would put BISD's adm north of 4100ish.  Again, some tweeks at the elementary level and hard MS zoning, Ozen's number would come up, WB numbers would drop maybe to the point they could be 5A with the rest of BISD.  If you look at I-10/69 as the line of demarcation, BISD is already using the neighborhood school concept

17 hours ago, walldrill said:

Wouldn't BISD petition to keep Ozen in 5A? I think their numbers were low enough last time to drop them into the local 4A district.

No, they hit just above the 5A floor in 2016.  The bottom was 1100 and Ozen turned in 1121.

On 7/26/2017 at 6:37 AM, Jag Insider said:

It's hard to believe that Ozen has ever had higher attendance numbers than Central. 

At one time they had the highest attendance numbers in the district, that was back when they first moved to 20-4a from 19.  This was only 4 years or so after they opened.