Best Program in SETX? (Golden T)

D3zii

Yes WOS is the best with Newton next. After that, it could be a few teams depending on your parameters. Last 20 years I'd go with Nederland and Dayton. Last 10 years maybe Crosby. There is just no one close to WOS. Newton is on another level than most here in SETX but still not close to the Stangs. If someone out there has not come to respect WOS for who they are then they have a totally blind eye to the situation.  Hats off to WOS and it is well deserved....now I wish my Indians could get them back on the schedule. Very few teams in SETX get you ready for what the playoffs look like better than WOS

On 7/19/2017 at 10:06 AM, ROSCHONSBIGBRO said:

Before last year, I had no information about PNG. I had always seen them as a rival. As I should, every single person from my family's last generation on both sides are Lincoln graduates and proud of it. I wanted that too. Fast forward, today, though I don't have the emotional attachment to the school or history as other PNG fans do, I can definitely appreciate that wins and losses record. That's a long list of arses kicked in the history of an old football program. 

Question- what would memorials record be if, SFA, TJ, and LHS records were included in theirs?

Though I am sad that those wonderful historic programs were shut down I and all PNG fans are happy and thankful for your family being Indians now. I talk of those schools at work all the time. So much tradition and history closed down. Think about all of those basketball teams from Lincoln. All those teams from TJ in multiple sports that were stellar. SFA even threw a couple of great seasons and some awesome sports player. Those schools were truly historic and were a great loss to our area's history.  I often wonder how the landscape would have been changed had they not been consolidated. I remember some great games against two of those schools. 

If the last 10-15 years is the gauge, then Kirbyville would be a top 5 program.  They played for 2 state titles, and made it 3/4 rounds several other times.

Going back 30-40 years I'd have:

1A.  WOS

1B.  Newton

3.  PNG

Nederland

West Brook

Jasper has had some great teams and probably the best talent in SE Texas yet has, IMO, underachieved.

1 hour ago, prepballfan said:

Though I am sad that those wonderful historic programs were shut down I and all PNG fans are happy and thankful for your family being Indians now. I talk of those schools at work all the time. So much tradition and history closed down. Think about all of those basketball teams from Lincoln. All those teams from TJ in multiple sports that were stellar. SFA even threw a couple of great seasons and some awesome sports player. Those schools were truly historic and were a great loss to our area's history.  I often wonder how the landscape would have been changed had they not been consolidated. I remember some great games against two of those schools. 

Precisely, so much gone. But hey, its the Titans time now.They have their own legacy to forge. I'm just happy that PNG has taken good care of my bro.

The post said best Programs all time in SETX. I didnt see 2006, or last 15 years are Crosby this, or 3 rounds that. If you are going to rank them. Rank them from day 1. Its a no brainer. Who has the most hardware. Its WOS. Period.

No one cares about anything but hardware................ Just ask Dan Marino..................

41 minutes ago, Stattrax said:

The post said best Programs all time in SETX. I didnt see 2006, or last 15 years are Crosby this, or 3 rounds that. If you are going to rank them. Rank them from day 1. Its a no brainer. Who has the most hardware. Its WOS. Period.

No one cares about anything but hardware................ Just ask Dan Marino..................

Why you got to throw Crosby under the bus. I didn't rank us as one of the best of all time. Did I miss something?

My point is everyone tries to go from a certain point to help their school. The Cowboys are not Americas team because of 1986-1991 or 2001-2009. They are Americas team for all time stats. Limiting it is just plain ridiculous. Actually, the whole post is. As I said, W.O.S. by a mile. People say Brady is the GOAT. Why, because he has a house full of hardware. I don't care for him, but its hard to go against a house full of hardware. To me, winning percentage, and hardware, just does not lie.

7 hours ago, MackLewis said:

If the last 10-15 years is the gauge, then Kirbyville would be a top 5 program.  They played for 2 state titles, and made it 3/4 rounds several other times.

Going back 30-40 years I'd have:

1A.  WOS

1B.  Newton

3.  PNG

Nederland

West Brook

Jasper has had some great teams and probably the best talent in SE Texas yet has, IMO, underachieved.

Yea Jasper put out some really good teams back in the day...Kinda reminded me of Yale, small but none of the big schools wanted to play them , cus they'd beat you up 

2 hours ago, Stattrax said:

My point is everyone tries to go from a certain point to help their school. The Cowboys are not Americas team because of 1986-1991 or 2001-2009. They are Americas team for all time stats. Limiting it is just plain ridiculous. Actually, the whole post is. As I said, W.O.S. by a mile. People say Brady is the GOAT. Why, because he has a house full of hardware. I don't care for him, but its hard to go against a house full of hardware. To me, winning percentage, and hardware, just does not lie.

Just wanted to hear some opinions , that's all 

i think at the end of the day we all know W.O.S is head and shoulders above the rest

20 hours ago, Stattrax said:

Yes, but its an apples to orange comparison.  WOS has only been around since '79.  BMT WB and Central since '82.   Ozen since '98 and PAM didn't start until 2002. PNG, NED and some other teams have been playing since 1925.

18 hours ago, Stattrax said:

And this is the breakdown of football state championships that I could find.

First, a key

UIL=University Interscholastic League

PVIL=Prairie View Interscholastic League

TAPPS=Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools

TCIL= Texas Catholic Interscholastic League

And here is the list:

Beaumont Kelly Catholic (5): 1979 (TCIL 3A), 1987 (TCIL 3A), 1992 (TCIL), 1993 (TCIL Co-Champ), 1998 (TAPPS 5A)

West Orange-Stark (4): 1986 (UIL 4A), 1987 (UIL 4A), 2015 (UIL 4A-II), 2016 (UIL 4A-II)

Baytown Carver (3): 1955 (PVIL 2A), 1958 (PVIL 2A), 1961 (PVIL 3A)

Beaumont Hebert (3): 1958 (PVIL 3A), 1966 (PVIL 4A), 1976 (UIL 3A)

Groveton (3): 1985 (2A), 1989 (UIL 2A), 1990 (UIL 2A)

Newton (3): 1974 (UIL 2A), 1998 (UIL 3A-II), 2005 (UIL 2A-II)

Port Neches-Groves (3): 1953 (UIL 3A), 1955 (UIL 3A), 1975 (UIL 4A)

Barbers Hill (2): 1971 (UIL 1A Co-Champ), 1975 (UIL 1A)

Burkeville (2): 1986 (UIL 1A), 2001 (UIL 1A)

Corrigan-Camden (2): 1988 (2A) 2002 (UIL 2A-I)

Orange Wallace (2): 1949 (PVIL 1A), 1954 (PVIL 2A)

Port Arthur High/Port Arthur Jefferson (2): 1929 (1A), 1944 (UIL 2A)

Port Arthur Bishop Byrne (2): 1951 (TCIL), 1952 (TCIL)

Port Arthur Lincoln (2): 1953 (PVIL 3A), 1955 (PVIL 3A)

Baytown Christian (1): 2016 (TAPPS 6man DIII)

Beaumont St. Anthony (1): 1955 (TCIL)

Beaumont French (1): 1984 (UIL 5A Co-Champ)

Beaumont West Brook (1): 1982 (UIL 5A)

Bridge City (1): 1966 (UIL 3A)

Hull-Daisetta (1): 1979 (UIL 1A)

Jasper Rowe (1): 1967 (PVIL 2A)

Nederland (1): 1957 (UIL 3A)

San Augustine (1): 2003 (UIL 2A-I)

Sources:

This is the hidden content, please

Just my opinions. Almost like people are begging to be recognized. I'll just be happy with the hardware and be quiet! If playing in 6A or making it to the semis one year makes you a power than so be it..... The rah rah section can feel good about themselves... But I assure you, only a few of these SETX teams are, and ever have been considered contenders. If we go by some of these folks ideas, maybe we should put Lumberton in the mix. they have made the playoffs a few times in the past 10 years and even went about as far as Crosby. So, now everyone gets my point....... PEACE!!

WOS by a mile.......

1 hour ago, Old school eagle said:

Sure would like to see a list of those 15 teams that could beat Newton every year

West Brook

Almost anybody from 22-5A or 21-5A

WOS

BC

OF

Liberty

LCM

Silsbee

etc, etc, etc......

Newton would win a game or two here and there, but even in Newton's best years there are plenty of teams in the area that will whip them, hands down. 

No offense, but if Legacy wins a state championship, you really can't put them up as the pound-for-pound best in SETX, in spite of their shiny award.  Same goes for Newton.  

It's unfair, but it's true.  T

2 hours ago, Old school eagle said:

Sure would like to see a list of those 15 teams that could beat Newton every year

Katy

Northshore

Allen

Lake Travis

Westlake

Manvel

Aledo

DeSoto

Cedar Park

George Ranch

Cedar Hill

Denton Guyer

Carthage

Southlake Carroll

Spring Dekaney

100's more. Lol

Did you mean local?

1 hour ago, Stattrax said:

Just my opinions. Almost like people are begging to be recognized. I'll just be happy with the hardware and be quiet! If playing in 6A or making it to the semis one year makes you a power than so be it..... The rah rah section can feel good about themselves... But I assure you, only a few of these SETX teams are, and ever have been considered contenders. If we go by some of these folks ideas, maybe we should put Lumberton in the mix. they have made the playoffs a few times in the past 10 years and even went about as far as Crosby. So, now everyone gets my point....... PEACE!!

WOS by a mile.......

I'm glad somebody finally acknowledged us lol jk!

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

West Brook

Almost anybody from 22-5A or 21-5A

WOS

BC

OF

Liberty

LCM

Silsbee

etc, etc, etc......

Newton would win a game or two here and there, but even in Newton's best years there are plenty of teams in the area that will whip them, hands down. 

No offense, but if Legacy wins a state championship, you really can't put them up as the pound-for-pound best in SETX, in spite of their shiny award.  Same goes for Newton.  

It's unfair, but it's true.  T

LCM has 11 wins and 4 L against Newton a lot of those games were long time ago when Little cypress was a smaller school. LCM vs Orange County schools: LCM 22-19 against BC, LCM 12-0-1 against Orangefield, LCM 14-11 against Vidor and against the Mighty WOS we have a losing record of 2-26. 

7 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

And this is the breakdown of football state championships that I could find.

First, a key

UIL=University Interscholastic League

PVIL=Prairie View Interscholastic League

TAPPS=Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools

TCIL= Texas Catholic Interscholastic League

And here is the list:

Beaumont Kelly Catholic (5): 1979 (TCIL 3A), 1987 (TCIL 3A), 1992 (TCIL), 1993 (TCIL Co-Champ), 1998 (TAPPS 5A)

West Orange-Stark (4): 1986 (UIL 4A), 1987 (UIL 4A), 2015 (UIL 4A-II), 2016 (UIL 4A-II)

Baytown Carver (3): 1955 (PVIL 2A), 1958 (PVIL 2A), 1961 (PVIL 3A)

Beaumont Hebert (3): 1958 (PVIL 3A), 1966 (PVIL 4A), 1976 (UIL 3A)

Groveton (3): 1985 (2A), 1989 (UIL 2A), 1990 (UIL 2A)

Newton (3): 1974 (UIL 2A), 1998 (UIL 3A-II), 2005 (UIL 2A-II)

Port Neches-Groves (3): 1953 (UIL 3A), 1955 (UIL 3A), 1975 (UIL 4A)

Barbers Hill (2): 1971 (UIL 1A Co-Champ), 1975 (UIL 1A)

Burkeville (2): 1986 (UIL 1A), 2001 (UIL 1A)

Corrigan-Camden (2): 1988 (2A) 2002 (UIL 2A-I)

Orange Wallace (2): 1949 (PVIL 1A), 1954 (PVIL 2A)

Port Arthur High/Port Arthur Jefferson (2): 1929 (1A), 1944 (UIL 2A)

Port Arthur Bishop Byrne (2): 1951 (TCIL), 1952 (TCIL)

Port Arthur Lincoln (2): 1953 (PVIL 3A), 1955 (PVIL 3A)

Baytown Christian (1): 2016 (TAPPS 6man DIII)

Beaumont St. Anthony (1): 1955 (TCIL)

Beaumont French (1): 1984 (UIL 5A Co-Champ)

Beaumont West Brook (1): 1982 (UIL 5A)

Bridge City (1): 1966 (UIL 3A)

Hull-Daisetta (1): 1979 (UIL 1A)

Jasper Rowe (1): 1967 (PVIL 2A)

Nederland (1): 1957 (UIL 3A)

San Augustine (1): 2003 (UIL 2A-I)

Sources:

So Kelly is the best program in SETX?

No debate at all, or even a close call. Anyone who even tries to make an argument that WOS is not by far the top football program regardless of classification in SETX knows nothing at all about high school football. Second place is miles behind them. Come on Man!