Who is your team game(s) of the year 2017

pakronos

16 hours ago, Dawgs12345 said:

WOS had an all time great team last year, but that was a once in every 20 year team. Some schools go their whole history without a team that good. Big props and respect to WOS. But you are incorrect that WOS will kick everybody's butt regardless of classification. Some of the WOS stuff goes over the top. WOS didn't beat the top teams or win state in old 3a (since the late 80's anyway) until there was split divisions in the new 4a. WOS is an elite program at the 4a level regardless of DI or DII, but people need to stop acting like nobody can compete with them. They had an all time great team in 2016, but people get silly when talking about how they can beat everybody. Take away the split divisions and WOS will go back to just another great program. Don't get me wrong I have a ton of respect for their program, but like I said people go wayyy overboard when talking about them. Kick everybody's butt in 5a? OMG, hahaha.

Now I see that only the "elite" 6a teams could deal with WOS. Guys this is getting ridiculous. Hahaha.

COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER!!!

14 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

I think Brubaker was speaking strictly at the local level.  WO-S has had success against local 5A teams (14-2 against current 22-5A teams, 2-0 against Dayton since moving to 3A/4A) and teams in 4A Division I ranks (10-0 against 4A-I teams, including 4A-I state semifinalist Kennedale).

But outside of the areas above, I agree completely with you.  With that and a couple of state championships under the belt, some of our fans wish to think that they can whip anyone.  I don't follow that line of thinking as I know there are a number of teams across Texas that are capable of taking my beloved Stangs.  Would I mind facing those teams to see how they measure up?  Not at all.  Do I think it is vital to prove something?  No, WO-S has 2 trophies in their case from the UIL which is all Mustang fans need to point to show the Mustangs' worth. 

That is why I have refrained so far in this thread from listing what I would consider the Mustangs "game of the year."  Do the Mustangs have some marquee games? Yes.  Some intriguing games?  Absolutely, especially for the local crowd.  However, as far as I am concerned, there is only one "game of the year" that should be in consideration, that is the one that I hope that they are playing the weekend before Christmas.

And I am sure that you have the same considerations as a Carthage fan.  And your school provides the textbook example of what I am speaking of.  On 9/23, the Bulldogs travel to Gilmer.  They will play a game that will probably feature the #1 ranked teams in 4A-I and 4A-2.  A game with so much marquee value that it will be played on a Saturday instead of the usual Friday night.  However, can that really, for either Carthage or Gilmer, be considered their "game of the year?"  If the Bulldogs shut down Poppy Brown and company and win the game, the Bulldogs gain literally nothing out of the game with the exception of bragging rights and the experience of facing a tough team.  On the other hand, if Mr. Brown goes for 400 yards and the Buckeyes win, I don't see Susan Elza denying Scott Surratt the 4A-I trophy should they be so lucky to win the last 4A-I game of the season simply because Carthage lost to Gilmer.

I guess what I am trying to say is that your game of the year kinda depends on what you are trying to achieve.

I disagree with how said CURRENT 22-5A teams..the ONLY time WO-S strapped up against PAM was in a scrimmage when Jammal Charles was making them look silly and it was NO contest!(the scrimmage was played in game like format) until that match up happens, they haven't "beat" or "dominated" local teams until PAM goes down to them.

14 hours ago, Brubaker said:

I wasn't saying that WOS could beat anybody in 5A, I was referring to their defense.  I do think they had one of the top defenses in the state, even at the 5A level and I stick by that.  The comment was in reference to why I thought WOS last year would've beaten PAM, which I think they would have.  WOS 2016 defense was elite at any level, that doesn't mean I think they beat all of the 5A and 6A top teams.

the only weak cog in the equation last year was at the qb position. and even with that, PAM still was explosive.

It can be argued all day and night... you only have one score to compare and that was vs Nederland. WOS won 42-0. PAM won 42-12. WOS would most likely beat PAM because of coaching and discipline. PAM fans can tell me no way, no how. But from someone from a neutral point of view WOS would win by 13

25 minutes ago, pakronos said:

I disagree with how said CURRENT 22-5A teams..the ONLY time WO-S strapped up against PAM was in a scrimmage when Jammal Charles was making them look silly and it was NO contest!(the scrimmage was played in game like format) until that match up happens, they haven't "beat" or "dominated" local teams until PAM goes down to them.

I Just hope PAM gets out of the Reg.III this year ," is a drop down in classification really go help" This is what the PAM fans been calling for the past few years.....

1 hour ago, pakronos said:

Ya know, kronos.  I couldn't give a rats rear end whether WO-S and Memorial ever hook up in a game.  The Mustangs have proven all they had to, with this:

Image result for west orange-stark state championship trophy

and this

Image result for west orange-stark state championship trophy

Of course, even if I did care, it won't happen as the coaching staff at Memorial has a penchant to saying no to playing Mustangs.  I guess that comes from North Shore treating PAM like their red headed step child over the last few years.  So don't try to float some sort of false narrative about the boys from Orange being "afraid" to make this game happen.

Gilmers game of the year is always the goal of a state championship game. Doesn't always work out that way, but the goal is always the same. 

Now as for our 10 game schedule, of course the district games are important, but...........there is a little dustup in Gilmer on a Saturday night in September that the whole state will be interested in. That would be the Buckeyes vs those mighty Carthage Bulldogs. That's one the fans can't wait for!!!!

17 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

I think Brubaker was speaking strictly at the local level.  WO-S has had success against local 5A teams (14-2 against current 22-5A teams, 2-0 against Dayton since moving to 3A/4A) and teams in 4A Division I ranks (10-0 against 4A-I teams, including 4A-I state semifinalist Kennedale).

But outside of the areas above, I agree completely with you.  With that and a couple of state championships under the belt, some of our fans wish to think that they can whip anyone.  I don't follow that line of thinking as I know there are a number of teams across Texas that are capable of taking my beloved Stangs.  Would I mind facing those teams to see how they measure up?  Not at all.  Do I think it is vital to prove something?  No, WO-S has 2 trophies in their case from the UIL which is all Mustang fans need to point to show the Mustangs' worth. 

That is why I have refrained so far in this thread from listing what I would consider the Mustangs "game of the year."  Do the Mustangs have some marquee games? Yes.  Some intriguing games?  Absolutely, especially for the local crowd.  However, as far as I am concerned, there is only one "game of the year" that should be in consideration, that is the one that I hope that they are playing the weekend before Christmas.

And I am sure that you have the same considerations as a Carthage fan.  And your school provides the textbook example of what I am speaking of.  On 9/23, the Bulldogs travel to Gilmer.  They will play a game that will probably feature the #1 ranked teams in 4A-I and 4A-2.  A game with so much marquee value that it will be played on a Saturday instead of the usual Friday night.  However, can that really, for either Carthage or Gilmer, be considered their "game of the year?"  If the Bulldogs shut down Poppy Brown and company and win the game, the Bulldogs gain literally nothing out of the game with the exception of bragging rights and the experience of facing a tough team.  On the other hand, if Mr. Brown goes for 400 yards and the Buckeyes win, I don't see Susan Elza denying Scott Surratt the 4A-I trophy should they be so lucky to win the last 4A-I game of the season simply because Carthage lost to Gilmer.

I guess what I am trying to say is that your game of the year kinda depends on what you are trying to achieve.

This is an excellent post. 

3 hours ago, pakronos said:

the only weak cog in the equation last year was at the qb position. and even with that, PAM still was explosive.

Agreed Memorial is explosive.  Only way to keep the PAM score down is for the other team to move the ball & score often.  You will also need some defensive breaks & Memorial offensive mistakes, as well.  That being said, the reason the game is played is too see what will happen!  Just ask Vidor, PNG & Memorial ... I think all these teams will agree, regardless of team skill, speed, power etc...We all want to see those games played!!!  Let's get that football started!!!

2 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Ya know, kronos.  I couldn't give a rats rear end whether WO-S and Memorial ever hook up in a game.  The Mustangs have proven all they had to, with this:

and this

Of course, even if I did care, it won't happen as the coaching staff at Memorial has a penchant to saying no to playing Mustangs.  I guess that comes from North Shore treating PAM like their red headed step child over the last few years.  So don't try to float some sort of false narrative about the boys from Orange being "afraid" to make this game happen.

Northshore is Northshore Wos would of been the red headed step child to.

29 minutes ago, pakronos said:

ummm...redheaded step child means they "dominated us...ummm one game was a blowout. other than that it was a battle and THOSE mustangs are way better than the little phillies of WOS...that's the truth!!

2013 - North Shore 49, Memorial 20

2014 - North Shore 40, Memorial 28

2015 - North Shore 38, Memorial 7

Yeah, y'all really hung with 'em!

On 7/9/2017 at 8:39 AM, pakronos said:

THAT'S TO BE SEEN UNTIL THEY GET GUTS TO PLAY PAM!!!!!

On 7/9/2017 at 8:51 AM, WOSgrad said:

When Harrison decides he wants to play, he knows Thompson's number.  It is on his caller ID from the phone call Thompson made when he called to schedule a game and Harrison turned him down.

Just ask Harrison.  I would hope he wouldn't deny Cornel called him.  He probably will have a reason other than he was skeered.  

WOS was the best football team I saw last year.  PAM was by far the most talented.  That being said, I would have laid 10 points with the Stangs had they played.  Too much discipline vs. not so much.  This year, I would take the Titans right now but you never know with the Mustangs.  

10 hours ago, aTmfan06 said:

It can be argued all day and night... you only have one score to compare and that was vs Nederland. WOS won 42-0. PAM won 42-12. WOS would most likely beat PAM because of coaching and discipline. PAM fans can tell me no way, no how. But from someone from a neutral point of view WOS would win by 13

Discipline?  That word again....  And it's used to describe PAM...