Who is your team game(s) of the year 2017

pakronos

6 hours ago, Kegger said:

Cleveland @ Huffman                     The last 2 years this game has felt close but youth and depth has hampered the Indians.  This years seniors are the most talented group since Cleveland was consistently going to the playoffs. If they want to return they need to win this game and & 1 more.

2015 56-21, 2016 33-14. I wouldn't call those scores close. 

5 hours ago, Bronco94 said:

I know our games of the year are always when we play Crosby and The Barbies Hill. Crosby who only won the past two contest with OT, and the Barbies Hill whom only won last year, won't have the same luck this year. Manny is gone, his OT run got the W last year, and the Hill, I just don't know, I was there and I couldn't believe what I was seeing, for one, a couple ints., one resulting in a TD from a linebacker and the rest is HISTORY!!!!! 2017 Broncos take revenge out on these two teams this year, I once said if we didn't win any games but the Crosby and the Barbies Hill game we'd be fine with it, but this team will be not only doing that, they gonna do way more than that. We are young, but talented. We are young, but determined. We can beat the Coogs. We can, We will, Kill the Hill. We will be a top contender, Again. 2017 Dayton Broncos, a force to reckon with. 

So, just to be clear, you think Dayton will be back in the mix in 2017? ;-)

I agree with you in that Dayton and Barbers Hill are our big games too. 

For accuracy purposes, Crosby's last 2 victories vs Dayton were not OT games. OT was in 2014 & 2016. 2015 was a 10 point win for Crosby in Dayton. It's easy to get the years mixed up due to all the Crosby victories in a row.

Although it's easy to identify Dayton and BH as Crosby's 2 big games, they get that status in two very different ways. 

Crosby vs   Dayton / BH

2013             33-27 / 63-26

2014       OT 41-35 / 30-7

2015             30-20 / 40-21

2016       OT 41-34 / 42-18

Crosby is 8-0 vs Dayton & BH over the last 4 years but the Dayton game is always close (7.25 avg margin) while BH has struggled to be competitive (25.75 avg margin). 

Its interesting that most odds makers would give BH a better chance than Dayton of competing with the Coogs in 2017. Although I agree that BH is more of a lock for the playoffs in 2017 than Dayton, I'd give Dayton a better chance of beating the Cougars due to their history of being able to keep the game vs Crosby close until the end. With that said Crosby will be 2-0 vs their two biggest rivals again in 2017. 

Go 21-5A

Go Crosby!!!

14 hours ago, raideroldtimer said:

You know that's the common argument that this division will even the playing field. If that's the case then how do you explain West Orange Stark? They kick everybodies butt regardless of if they are division 2, 1 or even if they are up in 5-A and I'll bet they aren't the only ones like that.

WOS had an all time great team last year, but that was a once in every 20 year team. Some schools go their whole history without a team that good. Big props and respect to WOS. But you are incorrect that WOS will kick everybody's butt regardless of classification. Some of the WOS stuff goes over the top. WOS didn't beat the top teams or win state in old 3a (since the late 80's anyway) until there was split divisions in the new 4a. WOS is an elite program at the 4a level regardless of DI or DII, but people need to stop acting like nobody can compete with them. They had an all time great team in 2016, but people get silly when talking about how they can beat everybody. Take away the split divisions and WOS will go back to just another great program. Don't get me wrong I have a ton of respect for their program, but like I said people go wayyy overboard when talking about them. Kick everybody's butt in 5a? OMG, hahaha.

Now I see that only the "elite" 6a teams could deal with WOS. Guys this is getting ridiculous. Hahaha.

29 minutes ago, Red Dawn said:

So, just to be clear, you think Dayton will be back in the mix in 2017? ;-)

I agree with you in that Dayton and Barbers Hill are our big games too. 

For accuracy purposes, Crosby's last 2 victories vs Dayton were not OT games. OT was in 2014 & 2016. 2015 was a 10 point win for Crosby in Dayton. It's easy to get the years mixed up due to all the Crosby victories in a row.

Although it's easy to identify Dayton and BH as Crosby's 2 big games, they get that status in two very different ways. 

Crosby vs   Dayton / BH

2013             33-27 / 63-26

2014       OT 41-35 / 30-7

2015             30-20 / 40-21

2016       OT 41-34 / 42-18

Crosby is 8-0 vs Dayton & BH over the last 4 years but the Dayton game is always close (7.25 avg margin) while BH has struggled to be competitive (25.75 avg margin). 

Its interesting that most odds makers would give BH a better chance than Dayton of competing with the Coogs in 2017. Although I agree that BH is more of a lock for the playoffs in 2017 than Dayton, I'd give Dayton a better chance of beating the Cougars due to their history of being able to keep the game vs Crosby close until the end. With that said Crosby will be 2-0 vs their two biggest rivals again in 2017. 

Go 21-5A

Go Crosby!!!

We will see!!!!!!!!!!!

18 minutes ago, Bronco94 said:

I do think Dayton will be much improved this year all around, unlike Crosby with exception of a healthy rb. Won't be enough.

Bronco94, you are definitely at the top of my list for 2017 fan of the year. I respect your support of your team. 

Crosby will lose to Dayton or BH again at some point. I don't see it being this year. But then again, I thought Crosby should have blown Dayton out the last 3 years and didn't. So you never know. 

"That's why they play the games."

1 hour ago, Dawgs12345 said:

WOS had an all time great team last year, but that was a once in every 20 year team. Some schools go their whole history without a team that good. Big props and respect to WOS. But you are incorrect that WOS will kick everybody's butt regardless of classification. Some of the WOS stuff goes over the top. WOS didn't beat the top teams or win state in old 3a (since the late 80's anyway) until there was split divisions in the new 4a. WOS is an elite program at the 4a level regardless of DI or DII, but people need to stop acting like nobody can compete with them. They had an all time great team in 2016, but people get silly when talking about how they can beat everybody. Take away the split divisions and WOS will go back to just another great program. Don't get me wrong I have a ton of respect for their program, but like I said people go wayyy overboard when talking about them. Kick everybody's butt in 5a? OMG, hahaha.

Now I see that only the "elite" 6a teams could deal with WOS. Guys this is getting ridiculous. Hahaha.

The comment was SPECIFIC to their defense and made no comment about scores or outcomes of games.  It was specific to how good the WOS defense was last year... at any level.

Crazy as it sounds I think Daytons biggest game will be against Splendora. The kid from Splendora ran for well over 300 yds against Dayton last year which is by far the most yds by a rb against Dayton in at least the last 20+ years. It's a game Dayton should win but it's also a game if they lose will most likely put Dayton finishing under .500 again. I think their other big game will be Humble because that game could possibly be for the 4th playoff spot.

6 minutes ago, bronco pride said:

Crazy as it sounds I think Daytons biggest game will be against Splendora. The kid from Splendora ran for well over 300 yds against Dayton last year which is by far the most yds by a rb against Dayton in at least the last 20+ years. It's a game Dayton should win but it's also a game if they lose will most likely put Dayton finishing under .500 again. I think their other big game will be Humble because that game could possibly be for the 4th playoff spot.

For playoff purposes you are 100% correct. That loss to Splendora last year was a back breaker. 

19 minutes ago, Red Dawn said:

For playoff purposes you are 100% correct. That loss to Splendora last year was a back breaker. 

16 minutes ago, bronco pride said:

Yes sir that's why I think it's a big game. 

That and Porter's victory over Crosby hurt the Broncos a lot. 

I actually like it when Crosby, Dayton and BH are the top 3 in 21-5A but if Crosby hopes to go D2, that only leaves room for me to root for 1 of the 2 (Dayton or BH). 

25 minutes ago, Dawgs12345 said:

WOS had an all time great team last year, but that was a once in every 20 year team. Some schools go their whole history without a team that good. Big props and respect to WOS. But you are incorrect that WOS will kick everybody's butt regardless of classification. Some of the WOS stuff goes over the top. WOS didn't beat the top teams or win state in old 3a (since the late 80's anyway) until there was split divisions in the new 4a. WOS is an elite program at the 4a level regardless of DI or DII, but people need to stop acting like nobody can compete with them. They had an all time great team in 2016, but people go over the top. Take away the split divisions and WOS will go back to just another great program. Don't get me wrong I have a ton of respect for their program, but like I said people go wayyy overboard when talking about them. Kick everybody's butt in 5a? OMG, hahaha.

I think Brubaker was speaking strictly at the local level.  WO-S has had success against local 5A teams (14-2 against current 22-5A teams, 2-0 against Dayton since moving to 3A/4A) and teams in 4A Division I ranks (10-0 against 4A-I teams, including 4A-I state semifinalist Kennedale).

But outside of the areas above, I agree completely with you.  With that and a couple of state championships under the belt, some of our fans wish to think that they can whip anyone.  I don't follow that line of thinking as I know there are a number of teams across Texas that are capable of taking my beloved Stangs.  Would I mind facing those teams to see how they measure up?  Not at all.  Do I think it is vital to prove something?  No, WO-S has 2 trophies in their case from the UIL which is all Mustang fans need to point to show the Mustangs' worth. 

That is why I have refrained so far in this thread from listing what I would consider the Mustangs "game of the year."  Do the Mustangs have some marquee games? Yes.  Some intriguing games?  Absolutely, especially for the local crowd.  However, as far as I am concerned, there is only one "game of the year" that should be in consideration, that is the one that I hope that they are playing the weekend before Christmas.

And I am sure that you have the same considerations as a Carthage fan.  And your school provides the textbook example of what I am speaking of.  On 9/23, the Bulldogs travel to Gilmer.  They will play a game that will probably feature the #1 ranked teams in 4A-I and 4A-2.  A game with so much marquee value that it will be played on a Saturday instead of the usual Friday night.  However, can that really, for either Carthage or Gilmer, be considered their "game of the year?"  If the Bulldogs shut down Poppy Brown and company and win the game, the Bulldogs gain literally nothing out of the game with the exception of bragging rights and the experience of facing a tough team.  On the other hand, if Mr. Brown goes for 400 yards and the Buckeyes win, I don't see Susan Elza denying Scott Surratt the 4A-I trophy should they be so lucky to win the last 4A-I game of the season simply because Carthage lost to Gilmer.

I guess what I am trying to say is that your game of the year kinda depends on what you are trying to achieve.

7 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

I think Brubaker was speaking strictly at the local level.  WO-S has had success against local 5A teams (14-2 against current 22-5A teams, 2-0 against Dayton since moving to 3A/4A) and teams in 4A Division I ranks (10-0 against 4A-I teams, including 4A-I state semifinalist Kennedale).

But outside of the areas above, I agree completely with you.  With that and a couple of state championships under the belt, some of our fans wish to think that they can whip anyone.  I don't follow that line of thinking as I know there are a number of teams across Texas that are capable of taking my beloved Stangs.  Would I mind facing those teams to see how they measure up?  Not at all.  Do I think it is vital to prove something?  No, WO-S has 2 trophies in their case from the UIL which is all Mustang fans need to point to show the Mustangs' worth. 

That is why I have refrained so far in this thread from listing what I would consider the Mustangs "game of the year."  Do the Mustangs have some marquee games? Yes.  Some intriguing games?  Absolutely, especially for the local crowd.  However, as far as I am concerned, there is only one "game of the year" that should be in consideration, that is the one that I hope that they are playing the weekend before Christmas.

And I am sure that you have the same considerations as a Carthage fan.  And your school provides the textbook example of what I am speaking of.  On 9/23, the Bulldogs travel to Gilmer.  They will play a game that will probably feature the #1 ranked teams in 4A-I and 4A-2.  A game with so much marquee value that it will be played on a Saturday instead of the usual Friday night.  However, can that really, for either Carthage or Gilmer, be considered their "game of the year?"  If the Bulldogs shut down Poppy Brown and company and win the game, the Bulldogs gain literally nothing out of the game with the exception of bragging rights and the experience of facing a tough team.  On the other hand, if Mr. Brown goes for 400 yards and the Buckeyes win, I don't see Susan Elza denying Scott Surratt the 4A-I trophy should they be so lucky to win the last 4A-I game of the season simply because Carthage lost to Gilmer.

I guess what I am trying to say is that your game of the year kinda depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Ok. I change mine to Crosby vs anyone in the State Championship Game then!!! 

13 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

I wasn't saying that WOS could beat anybody in 5A, I was referring to their defense.  I do think they had one of the top defenses in the state, even at the 5A level and I stick by that.  The comment was in reference to why I thought WOS last year would've beaten PAM, which I think they would have.  WOS 2016 defense was elite at any level, that doesn't mean I think they beat all of the 5A and 6A top teams.

8 minutes ago, Brubaker said:

I wasn't saying that WOS could beat anybody in 5A, I was referring to their defense.  I do think they had one of the top defenses in the state, even at the 5A level and I stick by that.  The comment was in reference to why I thought WOS last year would've beaten PAM, which I think they would have.  WOS 2016 defense was elite at any level, that doesn't mean I think they beat all of the 5A and 6A top teams.

Sorry, bru.  I actually meant to change the first part of the quote as it wasn't you who said that, you are correct.

4 minutes ago, Brubaker said:

I've always thought the discussions about hypothetical games vs other classifications as well as downplaying playoff success bc of being in D2 vs D1 was a bunch of hooey. The kids play who the bracket puts in front of them. If you win 6 Texas High School Football playoff games in a row, regardless of classification or division, you're pretty dad-gum-good. 

And WOS is an ELITE program. The pride of SETX imo. Time for the rest of us to pull our weight. 

23 minutes ago, Red Dawn said:

Why not? I know Coach Riordan is thinking that way!

I am not trying to discount any regular season games.  In fact, I know that the Mustangs have several tough tests ahead of them in their 2017 schedule.  And there are several games involving local teams (a lot of them have already been mentioned) that will be worthy of getting large attention because of either tradition or the strength of the teams involved.

But it you want to win big, you gotta think big.

13 minutes ago, Brubaker said:

My thoughts are this. Last year would have been a good game against W.O.-S. and P.A.M. If both teams would have been at full strength, (hypothetically speaking)... I would call it a toss up. What one needs to understand, is that P.A.M. has the same speed as W.O.-S. But what they have that W.O.-S. does not have is depth. That could very well be the difference. While coaching goes to Cornell, which could make a difference. P.N.-G. has played W.O.-S. every year, minus last year with little success. However, they have been decent games, with a few that could have been won by P.N.-G.. Both PAM and W.O.-S. are a cut above P.N.-G. when it comes to size and speed. With all this being said. I would always rank P.A.M and W.O.S. among the top 3 teams in the area, with a W.B. and a few other in the mix from year to year.

1 hour ago, Dawgs12345 said:

WOS had an all time great team last year, but that was a once in every 20 year team. Some schools go their whole history without a team that good. Big props and respect to WOS. But you are incorrect that WOS will kick everybody's butt regardless of classification. Some of the WOS stuff goes over the top. WOS didn't beat the top teams or win state in old 3a (since the late 80's anyway) until there was split divisions in the new 4a. WOS is an elite program at the 4a level regardless of DI or DII, but people need to stop acting like nobody can compete with them. They had an all time great team in 2016, but people go over the top. Take away the split divisions and WOS will go back to just another great program. Don't get me wrong I have a ton of respect for their program, but like I said people go wayyy overboard when talking about them.

+1 good post. Yea I agree if your trying to play deep in the playoffs, then those games in late November and December will be the "games of the year".

32 minutes ago, Red Dawn said:

4 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Why not? I know Coach Riordan is thinking that way!

I am not trying to discount any regular season games.  In fact, I know that the Mustangs have several tough tests ahead of them in their 2017 schedule.  And there are several games involving local teams (a lot of them have already been mentioned) that will be worthy of getting large attention because of either tradition or the strength of the teams involved.

But it you want to win big, you gotta think big.

I agree. But My goodness, how much grief have us Crosby fans caught for mentioning that we thought we had a shot at a State Championship?

23 minutes ago, Red Dawn said:

I've always thought the discussions about hypothetical games vs other classifications as well as downplaying playoff success bc of being in D2 vs D1 was a bunch of hooey. The kids play who the bracket puts in front of them. If you win 6 Texas High School Football playoff games in a row, regardless of classification or division, you're pretty dad-gum-good. 

And WOS is an ELITE program. The pride of SETX imo. Time for the rest of us to pull our weight. 

Agree. We have divisions in Texas for a reason. You play who is on your schedule. No matter the class, if you win a state championship it is a heck of an accomplishment. None, in my opinion, are better than the others. No matter if people say this division is more competitive than this division, and so on. A ship is the ultimate goal. WOS has played in 3 straight, and won 2 in a row. They are the class of their division, and defintley recognized around the state as an elite program. 

And don't worry we have these same conversations on another site about playing teams in higher classifications. There are always arguments whether Carthage and Gilmer can play with Longview or John Tyler. Although there are some homers from Carthage and Gilmer, I think everbody that knows football understands that those games would be blowouts 9 out of 10 years. Longview and John Tyler have the same kind of athletes as Carthage and Gilmer, but they have 3-4 times as many. That is just too much to overcome. When it comes down to it, it's all about the jimmies and joes. When the jimmies and joes are close to equal, then it comes down to the X's and O's.

11 minutes ago, Red Dawn said:

I agree. But My goodness, how much grief have us Crosby fans caught for mentioning that we thought we had a shot at a State Championship?

Sure, it is arrogant.  But then again, I don't know that setting high goals and expressing those goals is the issue.

The issue is that some, some being Crosby fans but they are in no way the only offenders, tend to use words to indicate that they are looking down their nose at other programs, usually because they are smaller.  And because ANYBODY that gets on this board is by no means a shrinking violet, there will be push back when they feel that has happened.  Heck, that is why we are all here! LOL!

3 hours ago, LCM17 said:

2015 56-212016 33-14. I wouldn't call those scores close. 

I believe both games were within 7-10 points at half. They really just fell apart after halftime. That's why I said they felt closer. I think at least 10 of this years seniors are returning for their 3rd year on varsity. This is supposed to be a really talented group of kids.

8 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Sure, it is arrogant.  But then again, I don't know that setting high goals and expressing those goals is the issue.

The issue is that some, some being Crosby fans but they are in no way the only offenders, tend to use words to indicate that they are looking down their nose at other programs, usually because they are smaller.  And because ANYBODY that gets on this board is by no means a shrinking violet, there will be push back when they feel that has happened.  Heck, that is why we are all here! LOL!

Gotcha. And as much as a Crosby Cougar fan as I am I try to be realistic. 

I thought we had a shot at it all in 2015. I thought that the #2 ranking was high but I thought being ranked somewhere between 6-8 would have been legit. 

Then we played a poor game vs a very good Ft Bend Ridge Point team and the dream was over. 

The team that went to the semis in 2014 had moderate expectations and look what they did. 

I think this 2017 team should compete for and win the district championship. After that, I'm not sure. If they stay healthy, play together, and a few unknowns emerge...