I am thinking about opening up the SETXsports Rankings to fans

WOSgrad

One of the things that we have done since the inception of the site is to hold football rankings.  They have taken different forms over the years, first just one poll. Then split to 2, and then to its latest form, three polls: 6A/5A, 4A/3A, 2A-Private.  To this point, we have kept the rankings strictly among moderators and administrators.

I am, for the first time, thinking about opening up the SETXsports Rankings to folks outside of the staff members.  So for those who have thought that they could do just as good of a job as us, this could be your chance.  If you are interested in participating in the rankings, pm me, adding your school rooting interest....I'll explain why as there are things to consider whether or not you are actually the man (or woman) for the job.

Sure these rankings are non-binding, but they do appear on KFDM, so there is some need to keep some to keep them credible, which brings me to the these considerations;

1.  A pollster must be willing to rank in ALL 3 POLLS.  To have a bunch that are willing to do the 6A/5A, yet hardly anyone doing the 2A-Private rankings would hurt credibility of the polls.  In fact, I would like to see a number of folks from the smaller schools step into this so that they are represented;

2.  We do have a weekly deadline to meet for these rankings as for Heather Healy to be able to get them on Sports Extra on Sunday night, I must have the rankings (which means not only votes in on Sunday but tabulated) completed and emailed to Heather Healy (or Mike Friedman) as KFDM by 3:00 pm on Sundays, which means I need your vote in by 2 pm.  I know that is also usually the time you are in front of your TV or other chosen device following the goings on in the NFL.  But for your rankings to count, I really need them by that time;

3.  If you agree, I need you to be able to participate EVERY WEEK.  Something that hurts the credibility of the rankings is when different numbers of rankings are used every week.  It makes for wild changes in the rankings that are not easily explained;

4.  For this, I need pollsters, not superfans.  I understand that all have their school favorites and biases.  I place no guidelines (other than those that are eligible for the poll) on what pollsters must consider in their rankings.  That being said, we won't agree on the specific place in the rankings all of the time, all usually have a good "general" idea as to who does and does not belong in the rankings and where they do or do not belong within the rankings.  Ranking a school higher just because you back them or lower just because you detest them can widely skew the rankings, which again hurts their credibility;

5.  One school, one non-staff pollster.  This is why if you are interested, I need to know the school "affiliation."  If a school has a bunch of pollsters representing it doing the rankings, they will be skewed.

So, if you are interested. Please pm me with your school affiliation.  Once I have made the decision as to what form the "fan" rankings will take.  I'll pm those participating with more details.

Thanks,

Todd Broussard

Administrator

SETXsports.com

6 minutes ago, STiger85 said:

Just a thought, maybe have two rankings. One from SETXsports staff and one from the fans, kinda like NCAA football rankings. The ranking to go by would be the SETXsports staff and the other to see where the fans rank the teams. Like I said just a thought.

That has been a thought of mine, too.  And it may take that form.

And my initial thought as that poll would be constitute one "vote" in the official rankings.

But like I said, I am just spit balling here.

I think the balloting should be limited to moderators and administrators. I have voted on statewide polls. The problem often is that you only know about teams in your part of the state. That is a real problem on a statewide poll but not necessarily on a SETX poll. 

There is something to be said to be able to sit back and think to yourself...... Those moderators are nuts. They don't know anything about what they are doing. 

You guys do a great job. Keep doing the polls yourself. 

1 hour ago, scoopno1 said:

I think the balloting should be limited to moderators and administrators. I have voted on statewide polls. The problem often is that you only know about teams in your part of the state. That is a real problem on a statewide poll but not necessarily on a SETX poll. 

There is something to be said to be able to sit back and think to yourself...... Those moderators are nuts. They don't know anything about what they are doing. 

After a few seasons, you will learn to study the smaller school and even may become a fan of one here or there. Like I have become a fan of Shelbyville and a couple of others. 

I see your points, I have thought about rankings in various soorts through the years.  I have my opinions sure but other than postings on here and the little bit I see elsewhere I really don't have much to go on most schools as I really only see the schools that play Silsbee.  Especially on the football side.  I see a few more usually in basketball but still nowhere near enough to rank the schools outside of the area 4A teams.  I wouldn't mind participating but it would take more effort than I or most realize.

1 hour ago, Red Dawn said:

I think it could be fun but:

1) I don't think us regular fans can be impartial. 

2) I really only know 21-5A. 

Everybody has their biases.  If they say that they don't.....they're lying.  The best way to run a poll is to make sure that the biases are in some way cancelled out.  That is why I always thought that more is better so that one wayward soul cannot skew a set of rankings. 

There are just some that a better than others at suppressing those biases.  Many have laid their capabilities, or lack of it, out in their various posts throughout the years.  If you can't, that doesn't make you a bad person, just a not so good pollster.

And to your No. 2, I fully realize there are those that hardly ever look outside of their district, much less out of their classification, in viewing teams.  In fact, I think you'll agree that is the case for the majority of the posters here.  Again, no problem.  The scope you choose to follow is completely up to you.  But in terms of rankings that could be a problem as this is an area that has all 6 classes and some private schools represented and we at SETXsports don't wish to exclude smaller teams from our rankings.

13 hours ago, Red Dawn said:

I think it could be fun but:

1) I don't think us regular fans can be impartial. 

2) I really only know 21-5A. 

On 7/4/2017 at 1:17 PM, scoopno1 said:

. I was somewhat knowledgeable with some of the smaller school stuff but not all. Just have to look at it like a fantasy football team you may hate the Giants if you are a Cowboys fan, but if you want to win you will draft Beckam. Same apply's Just know it's your reputation as a voter on the line instead of 60 bucks....I have learned so much about small school football and even a touch of 6 man. Voting has been good to me.