Jasper 2018

14 hours ago, Fastballupandin said:

Will Westbrook his first head coaching winning season in Jasper 2018?

While I usually refrain from comments on a post's grammar, your lack of use of it makes this question completely intelligible.

1 hour ago, Fastballupandin said:

Waskom's record isn't any better for those years.  As a Jasper fan with young ones coming, I hope he is more of a winner than I can find.  Best I can find he's only won one playoff series in his career as a HC.  Not Jasper standards.

Beg Pardon?

I've known Coach Westbrook since the first time he was at WO-S and here is what I know about him.....he took over the WO-S program in 2002 and stayed through 2005 where he led WO-S to the playoffs twice.  

He left in 2005 to go work for a friend of his in the Dallas area.  He got back into coaching in 2007 where he took over a struggling Waskom program.  He led them to 9 wins the first year and 11 the second.  He stayed in Waskom for 2 years and then moved back closer to the Dallas area with his son.  

He took over a bad Scurry Rosser program and took them to the Playoffs in his second year as HC there.  It was their first Playoff in baseball in 17 years.

From Scurry he moved back to WO-S to be closer to his mother who is battling cancer.  As an assistant at WO-S he helped lead WO-S to 3 straight Playoff appearances including a State Finalist appearance in 2015 when he was named the THSBCA 4A Assistant Coach of the Year.  

He then took over the Jasper program this year where he led Jasper to the Playoffs in a year most thought would be a down year.  He is a very good coach and from everything I've seen and heard, Jasper is extremely happy with the job he did this year.

If you have young ones coming up as you claim, then Stephen Westbrook is PRECISELY the man you want to coach them.  As not only is Jasper happy with him, WO-S was so happy with him that they wanted him back.

He easily meets Jasper standards.  If he does not meet yours, maybe you need to review your standards.

First, I would never lower the standards of winning in Jasper baseball set by Mike Rodgers and Shawn Mixon to those of WOS.  The records available simply don't back your story of the coach.  Scurry Ross doesn't even list him as a HC.  In WOS 2 play offs in 4 years where almost everybody goes, then winning only one round in 4 years doesn't set anyone on their heals.  I am not against the man but some of the story reported about his great success is just BS.  One loss short of 4th place in a 5 team district does not impress.  Time will tell.

6 hours ago, Fastballupandin said:

First, I would never lower the standards of winning in Jasper baseball set by Mike Rodgers and Shawn Mixon to those of WOS.  The records available simply don't back your story of the coach.  Scurry Ross doesn't even list him as a HC.  In WOS 2 play offs in 4 years where almost everybody goes, then winning only one round in 4 years doesn't set anyone on their heals.  I am not against the man but some of the story reported about his great success is just BS.  One loss short of 4th place in a 5 team district does not impress.  Time will tell.

I guess time will tell.

But let's take this 1 by 1:

1.  "Scurry Ross doesn't even list him as a HC"

First of all, the school is Scurry-Rosser, not "Scurry Ross."  Perhaps that would help you in your research (if you actually ever looked at anything aside from Max Pres) and you probably would have found this:

This is the hidden content, please

Which talks about Scurry-Rosser making the playoffs for the first time in a looooooong time.

2.  "In WOS 2 play offs in 4 years where almost everybody goes, then winning only one round in 4 years doesn't set anyone on their heals."

Compared to whom, Ronnie Anderson?  Perhaps aside from his legendary tenure and that of the recently departed Shea Landry, 2 playoffs in 4 years was a vast improvement over anything WO-S had been doing in baseball.  In both of those years, WO-S was the runner up, not the 4th place team as you implied, for if they would have been the 4th place team, THEY WOULDN'T HAVE MADE THE PLAYOFFS.  With your limited research skills, you may not have noticed that 4A (then 3A) did not take 4 teams to the playoffs until 2014, 9 years after Coach Westbrook's first stint at WO-S.  So you fail on this one not only for lack of research skills but lack of basic high school sports history which brings me to:

3.  "First, I would never lower the standards of winning in Jasper baseball set by Mike Rodgers and Shawn Mixon to those of WOS."

Now, I won't even try to slander Coach Rodgers or Coach Mixon and saying anything remotely about them would be just that.  In fact, if Cornel Thompson were to be able to throw a Hail Mary and pry Mixon out of that softball dugout in Woodville to fill the vacant baseball dugout in West Orange, I for one would not be disappointed.  But here is a newsflash, Coach Mixon is actually happy in Woodville and the chances of that happening are about the same as the chance of the homecoming that you are so craving for that will never happen. 

However, please don't try to make the Bulldogs appear to be a Lakes area version of Bellaire....the facts belie that:

This is the hidden content, please
And if you remember correctly, the last team from SETX to be in the dugout for a Class 3A/4A state championship game wore "Mustangs" across their chest, not "Bulldogs."  And by coincidence one of those that wore that uniform was Stephen Westbrook.  A fact that you should recognize as Darrell Barbay, a guy who comes from a family who knows a bit about winning and has done a fair share of his own at Jasper High, did.  So please spare me the "Jasper standards are higher than everyone else" crap.  That is pretty much an insult to all of the other programs in the area, including about 20 guys on Merriman St. in Port Neches who currently have gold medals around their neck and a nice big trophy with gold plating to add to the trophy case.

Now, sweetheart.  I know I am not going to sway you from your opinion as your hatred (and yes, that is the correct characterization) seems to run much deeper than his record.  I don't know if you are the parent of a little Johnny who didn't get to play the position he wanted or didn't get as many at bats as he thought he should have.  Or if you are related to someone at Jasper ISD that you think got a raw deal.

But you want to try and dismiss my laying out of the facts as BS?  You better bring a lunch 'cause ask around, I pretty good at this research stuff.

9 minutes ago, Fastballupandin said:

No, Hatred is your word only.  I actually hope he is better than the record shows.  You can get as personal as you want but if he doesn't win but one playoff series in 4 years as in WOS,  he will be looking for a job.  Ask Kirkland.

I'll leave it to the learned members of the forum as to who decided to make this personal.

And fortunately, the employment status lands strictly in the hands of Darrell Barbay, not you.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:58 PM, WOSgrad said:

Beg Pardon?

I've known Coach Westbrook since the first time he was at WO-S and here is what I know about him.....he took over the WO-S program in 2002 and stayed through 2005 where he led WO-S to the playoffs twice.  

He left in 2005 to go work for a friend of his in the Dallas area.  He got back into coaching in 2007 where he took over a struggling Waskom program.  He led them to 9 wins the first year and 11 the second.  He stayed in Waskom for 2 years and then moved back closer to the Dallas area with his son.  

He took over a bad Scurry Rosser program and took them to the Playoffs in his second year as HC there.  It was their first Playoff in baseball in 17 years.

From Scurry he moved back to WO-S to be closer to his mother who is battling cancer.  As an assistant at WO-S he helped lead WO-S to 3 straight Playoff appearances including a State Finalist appearance in 2015 when he was named the THSBCA 4A Assistant Coach of the Year.  

He then took over the Jasper program this year where he led Jasper to the Playoffs in a year most thought would be a down year.  He is a very good coach and from everything I've seen and heard, Jasper is extremely happy with the job he did this year.

If you have young ones coming up as you claim, then Stephen Westbrook is PRECISELY the man you want to coach them.  As not only is Jasper happy with him, WO-S was so happy with him that they wanted him back.

He easily meets Jasper standards.  If he does not meet yours, maybe you need to review your standards.

Or send him back to WOS. We would love to have him.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 3:41 PM, Fastballupandin said:

No, Hatred is your word only.  I actually hope he is better than the record shows.  You can get as personal as you want but if he doesn't win but one playoff series in 4 years as in WOS,  he will be looking for a job.  Ask Kirkland.

Kirkland? You mean the guy the fine members of the Jasper community cussed at as he left the field a few years ago after losing a hard fought game in the playoffs? Coach Kirkland is doing fine and is better off out of Jasper, but unfortunately you are still there. Coach Barbay has it under control, if he needs poorly worded and spelled opinions I am sure he will reach out to you.

On July 14, 2017 at 10:53 PM, Booster said:

if jasper has Westbrook in 2016 they are possibly adding a second state championship banner to their 2007 state championship banner.  

What in the world makes you say that? That team ended w/ a 27-5 record? That team lost by a combined 6 runs the entire year. Jasper lost in the regional semifinal, the team that beat them (LCM) lost the next round (Robinson) which, in turn, lost their 1st game in the state tournament. So, not only was it a very impressive year by Jasper, they had a long way to go to win the state championship. You could, maybe, make an argument that they should have gotten past LCM, but thats about it. Saying coaching was the reason is ignorant. Team was 27-5 and competitive in every game they played.