Study: AC/DC’s ‘Highway To Hell’ More Theologically Accurate Than 96% Of Modern Worship Songs

jv_coach

1 hour ago, jv_coach said:

This is the hidden content, please

either really funny Satire or a really sad truth

Highway To Hell is a very simplistic lyrically...it basically just says "I am a sinner and will pay for it in the end." I always laugh when someone brings up this song trying to link it to "devil worshiping". I think many feel that AC/DC was trying to glorify and influence people into bad behavior, thus the attack as anti-religious. Black Sabbath was probably the band most inaccurately labeled as "devil worshipers". Many of their songs spoke of mysticism and evil characters, which were described as evil, and where inaccurately construed as anti-Christian. I think the label came mostly from their band name combined with their audacity of "saying what should not be mentioned". Most of their critics did not bother to listen to the songs as a whole. If they did, they should have realized that the lyrics were describing evil, not condoning it. Jethro Tull's Aqualung album was wildly criticized as anti-Christian, but the lyrics are describing Man abandoning God's teachings. Many of the 1970s rock bands spoke about religious issues, and most were just pointing out the flaws of Man or spoken from the evil side. Many of these same bands had other songs in which the lyrics were interpreted as glorifying "bad boy" behavior, which led many people to conflate the two to mistakenly conclude the bands were "devil worshipers". Some 1970-1980s bands played up the "anti-Christian" angle just for the publicity. After his split with Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne became a master at this, as did Ronnie James Dio. Many bands did not delve into the spiritual realm at all, but still were labeled as anti-Christian. 

I think this article is just pointing out that many Christian bands/groups try to write lyrics that include their own interpretations of God's teachings, which in turn get interpreted by others. Whereas "Highway To Hell" is just a flat out admission of the simplistic concept of "evil doers go to hell", which frankly is not in dispute according to the Bible.

• 2 weeks later...