DCTF 22-5A Predictions - Do you agree?

WOSgrad

13 minutes ago, DannyShapiroBE said:

My District 22-5A preview for the Houston Chronicle.

This is the hidden content, please

Picking the district I have: 1. Memorial 2. PN-G 3. Vidor 4. Nederland 5. Central 6. Lumberton 7. Ozen 8. Livingston 9. Lee

Think 3-6 are very close.

Fire away with questions/comments/concerns.

I truly understand why they're picking PAM to win district.  I've watched them all play .  And I believe PAM is more talented then any of them.but I truly believe one of the biggest factors is dat they have to go to png.and I watching PAM last year get punched in the mouth by vidor and they couldn't stop them.it was all abt heart.and they didn't respond. With the crowd behind png at home.with that qb. I can't see them losing any district games. 

8 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

I'm not gonna come on here and say that we will do big things this year, but... we do return a pretty good amount of people who last year had a loss to Livingston in the last seconds that should not have happened, and only lost to central by 1 point on a decision to go for 2 instead of a field goal. So don't count us out either just yet. We were a lot closer than what people realize to being a playoff team last year, and we will have better experience this year. Might just make things a little more interesting.

Was out at Lumberton practice today, actually. Lots of big linemen and Babin's excited about Bridges at QB. Need to cut down on turnovers, though...

8 minutes ago, dj said:

I truly understand why they're picking PAM to win district.  I've watched them all play .  And I believe PAM is more talented then any of them.but I truly believe one of the biggest factors is dat they have to go to png.and I watching PAM last year get punched in the mouth by vidor and they couldn't stop them.it was all abt heart.and they didn't respond. With the crowd behind png at home.with that qb. I can't see them losing any district games. 

Yeah, I covered that PAM-Vidor game last season and I agree PAM was a bit overwhelmed. I listed the PAM-PNG as one of the games to watch because it could very much be the game that decides who wins district.

13 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

I saw the same thing yesterday. Very nice offensive line!

, I think that them and vidor will play for that 4th place. It will be a very interesting game. I know central has alot returning on there team. I think they're a year away. The road games this season will be to hard for them to overcome. 

Kind of finishing up my preseason research and looking at 22-5A it's hard for me to drop Central below second place. I use a athletes x coaching x experience = w equation to make assumptions prior to the season. 

Cemtral has the second best athletes in the district, in my opinion they have the best coach in the district and I can't find what they have returning but all this stuff is adding up to them having a Porter-like season. The way Nelson coaches he doesn't need a qb that is much more than serviceable, he does need a game-changer at the rb position though. I think given the athletes he'll also have a chance to put together a very good defense. 

1. PAM

2. Central

3. PNG

4. Nederland 

5. Vidor/Lumberton 

6. Lumberton/Vidor 

7. Ozen

8. Lee

9. Livingston 

58 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Kind of finishing up my preseason research and looking at 22-5A it's hard for me to drop Central below second place. I use a athletes x coaching x experience = w equation to make assumptions prior to the season. 

Cemtral has the second best athletes in the district, in my opinion they have the best coach in the district and I can't find what they have returning but all this stuff is adding up to them having a Porter-like season. The way Nelson coaches he doesn't need a qb that is much more than serviceable, he does need a game-changer at the rb position though. I think given the athletes he'll also have a chance to put together a very good defense. 

1. PAM

2. Central

3. PNG

4. Nederland 

5. Vidor/Lumberton 

6. Lumberton/Vidor 

7. Ozen

8. Lee

9. Livingston 

That's a fair assessment. I do disagree with the best coach part though. With Neumann gone I think that goes to Matthews.

29 minutes ago, dj said:

So in your opinion how does the District pan out for you

Pam 

PnG

Central

Nederland 

I think the Titans overall are too deep for us without some turnovers and a damn near perfect game, I think the game will still be close though.  Central has similar potential but they haven't consistently beaten mid county. Nederland kids will graduate without beating a Roschon Qb'd team

12 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

1. PAM

2. Central

3. PNG

4. Nederland 

5. Vidor/Lumberton 

6. Lumberton/Vidor 

7. Ozen

8. Lee

9. Livingston 

I think I've found my new best friend on here.  Bye bye Soulja...:)

8 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

I think I've found my new best friend on here.  Bye bye Soulja...:)

Hey, man.  I'm still here, just a tad detached from the program...  Gotta go hard for the seed, Brother.  Lol.

But on the side note, I've had vicious wars with 14.2.  It's a different ballgame if you keep him close.  Lol.  

13 hours ago, L-Train11 said:

That's a fair assessment. I do disagree with the best coach part though. With Neumann gone I think that goes to Matthews.

I think Matthews probably gets the more out of his talent than maybe any other coach in the district, but as far as X's and O's go I think he's behind Nelson and Faircloth for sure. Maybe even Babin? He has too many seasons where Vidor isn't a factor and probably more than any other coach in the bi-district his results are direct reflection of the talent he has to work with.

Jim Holley took a 1-9 team and had a 7 game improvement the next year with the same kids, Westeberg took BH from 4-6 to 8-3 with similar circumstances, Riordan took Crosby from above average to averaging 10 wins per season. That's what X's and O's guys can do, I think Matthews deserves credit for being an excellent motivator though.

2 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Hey, man.  I'm still here, just a tad detached from the program...  Gotta go hard for the seed, Brother.  Lol.

But on the side note, I've had vicious wars with 14.2.  It's a different ballgame if you keep him close.  Lol.  

Now now Soulja, I still think Crosby would beat Central handily if both teams lined up healthy in bi-district. I just think Nelson makes Central a legitimate factor for the first time in almost a decade. Guy is legit, question is can he stay off the UIL's radar?

8 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Now now Soulja, I still think Crosby would beat Central handily if both teams lined up healthy in bi-district. I just think Nelson makes Central a legitimate factor for the first time in almost a decade. Guy is legit, question is can he stay off the UIL's radar?

At this point, I do agree with you, although I hope we get better as the year goes on and make a 2008 type improvement...

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Well I would love to play Crosby in  the bi-district round and if PA Memorial and Nederland get in along with us and PN-G, it could happen. 

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I think Matthews probably gets the more out of his talent than maybe any other coach in the district, but as far as X's and O's go I think he's behind Nelson and Faircloth for sure. Maybe even Babin? He has too many seasons where Vidor isn't a factor and probably more than any other coach in the bi-district his results are direct reflection of the talent he has to work with.

Jim Holley took a 1-9 team and had a 7 game improvement the next year with the same kids, Westeberg took BH from 4-6 to 8-3 with similar circumstances, Riordan took Crosby from above average to averaging 10 wins per season. That's what X's and O's guys can do, I think Matthews deserves credit for being an excellent motivator though.

Well after 6-5, 7-4, 5-6 and 5-6 (23-21 overall), I hope you are correct Cougar 14.2... 

Confident in the D-line and linebackers. Don't know about D-backs. Offensive-line, we will have to see. Inexperience there. As far as skill positions, I am very confident there. A lot of speed and shiftiness. RJ could have a great year passing with the receivers coming back, but it depends on our o-line. I just want all our kids to stay healthy this year.....

With that said:

PAM

PNG

Central

Vidor

(Vidor and Central could switch places. Been following Ned for years with this age group and don't see them having their normal year. Never know though 'cause Barrows could pull a rabbit out)

On August 9, 2017 at 4:32 PM, FrodoNDN said:

Confident in the D-line and linebackers. Don't know about D-backs. Offensive-line, we will have to see. Inexperience there. As far as skill positions, I am very confident there. A lot of speed and shiftiness. RJ could have a great year passing with the receivers coming back, but it depends on our o-line. I just want all our kids to stay healthy this year.....

With that said:

PAM

PNG

Central

Vidor

(Vidor and Central could switch places. Been following Ned for years with this age group and don't see them having their normal year. Never know though 'cause Barrows could pull a rabbit out)

I agree Frodo.  I think most everyone, if their life was on the line, would have PAM & PNG fighting for the 1 & 2 spots.  The 3 & 4 gets iffy, especially with the question marks.  Will the Vidor kids moving up from JV be successful?  Then Ned & Central with new coaches, plus Ned coming off of the season from "hail" (so un-Ned like I still find it hard to believe).  Edge on schedule to Vidor - they have Ned & Central at home.  Going to be exciting.  

1 hour ago, REBgp said:

I agree Frodo.  I think most everyone, if their life was on the line, would have PAM & PNG fighting for the 1 & 2 spots.  The 3 & 4 gets iffy, especially with the question marks.  Will the Vidor kids moving up from JV be successful?  Then Ned & Central with new coaches, plus Ned coming off of the season from "hail" (so un-Ned like I still find it hard to believe).  Edge on schedule to Vidor - they have Ned & Central at home.  Going to be exciting.  

The only games the Jags have away from the Jungle involving "the contenders" Is the Vidor and Lumberton games.  PAM, Nederland and PN-G must come to us.

1 hour ago, Jag Insider said:

The only games the Jags have away from the Jungle involving "the contenders" Is the Vidor and Lumberton games.  PAM, Nederland and PN-G must come to us.

I was only thinking about heads up play between the three teams I see as primary contenders for the last two playoff spots.  But you're correct, there's a lot more involved than just playing each other.  I've seen where Vidor has gone to Ltown & lost a game everyone thought they'd win.  If you want to make the playoffs, you better not blink.

1 hour ago, REBgp said:

I was only thinking about heads up play between the three teams I see as primary contenders for the last two playoff spots.  But you're correct, there's a lot more involved than just playing each other.  I've seen where Vidor has gone to Ltown & lost a game everyone thought they'd win.  If you want to make the playoffs, you better not blink.

Dead on assessment there at the end of your statement, it's going to be interesting.

Coaching may very well help Central. They Definitely need to change the losing mentality over that way. TF teams just did not appear to have the fire for some reason. But that being said, I did not see any standout athletes last year that made me cringe. But reguardless, I see Central anywhere from 2-4. Definately making the playoffs. It's hard to go against the team with the 2nd best athletes. I see PAM winning the district. IMO they will only get a few tight games in the race. My wild card is Nederland. MB will have to do a spectacular job with what he has to get in the race... But never say never with those guys... 

In Alphabetical order these are your playoff teams

Central

Nederland

PAM

PNG

As for coaching. Everyone is high on Mathews. But he is not the best coach in the district. He runs a vanilla, simple offense and defense. When it works it's ok, but percentages show it works a lot less than one would want. He gets everything out of his kids. But it's a crazy stretch to say he is the best.... 

PAM needs no motivation to play PNG. You will get all PAM has to offer during this game. I see PAM going into the Rez and making a statement. To many offensive weapons plus a dual threat spells doom for PNG. I hope PNG keeps it respectable... would take a perfect game and key PAM injuries for the Indians to pull this out.

PNG Central is iMO a pick em. Both teams have the players to win it, so turnovers will be the key.... prevent them and more than likely you win... Central has home field, but I'm not sure the miracle season the Jag fans are hoping for will come true. But I still have it as a pick em.

MCM is at Nederland, so it will be enjoyable to get one on their field. Nederland would need the perfect game to win it, but stranger things have happened. See how MB works when the pressures on.....

Vidor is Vidor, maybe a wild card, but you don't have to be a genius to stack the box and stop the run. JV football never adds up on the Varsity level... Look for another outside looking in unless they can beat Nederland.... But never say never.

Lumberton just does not have the benefit of many athletes, I'm not really sure what they are doing on offense, but it kinda reminds me of Coach Klein..... The kids do play hard, but I'm just not sure about the whole scenario. But I won't complain.... Because you all know, I only litter in Chumperton....

Ozen is the best of the rest, but lack depth for sure........

12 hours ago, REBgp said:

I will admit some teams can stop the Vidor Offense, but since Vidor scored over 40 points on five teams last year, maybe there's a little more to it than just stacking the box.  Heck, I've seen seasons when Vidor didn't score 40 points.

PNG has been fairly successful at beating Vidor. I believe that it lies in the offense, not the defense of PNG.