Hurricane Season 2017

PhatMack19

I have a question concerning the instances of price gouging.  Most of the incidents I have seen are concerning bottled water.  I see these cases of people paying up to I think $42 for a 24 pack of water from convenience schools.  Horrible but my question is, if these stores don't  normally sale cases is it really price gouging if they are charging 24 times the bottle price or is that going to be their loop hole?

31 minutes ago, westend1 said:

I don't see it as a loophole.  They can break up the cases and sell them individually or they can do you a favor and leave them in cases.   

But, they do not cost $42 a case.  No favors at that price, when a case of water is typically around $4.  If someone pays $42, they are a little touched in the head.

3 hours ago, westend1 said:

I don't see it as a loophole.  They can break up the cases and sell them individually or they can do you a favor and leave them in cases.   

Are you a free market Conservative now?  You sure you're ok?  

I'll start a topic on this in the Political forum tomorrow 

On August 27, 2017 at 5:56 PM, BS Wildcats said:

When every newscast that you see is calling for 25-30" of rain days ahead of the storm, you would think something should have been done.  This, knowing that it only takes 2-3" to flood homes in some parts of Houston, just doesn't look good for the mayor.  As far as the storm moving out of the way, anybody watching the news knew that wasn't happening.  This is one time the weathermen pretty much got it right.

If they would've jammed the roads trying to evacuate millions of people, the death toll would've been in the thousands, maybe tens of thousands.  Lots of the evacuation routes ended up under 8 or more feet of water very quickly.

It's been awesome seeing all of the stories of people helping one another this last week.  We were blessed to stay dry in fannett, but most of our neighbors were not so lucky.  We're doing what we can to help out.  We've got a family of 5 from up the road staying with us right now.  We only knew them to wave to in passing, but I saw them try to get out Tuesday morning and have to turn around and return to their flooded house.  I told them to grab what they could and come on, and they've been here 4 days.  Turns out we've made some great new friends.  We're also having people come from Beaumont to get a hot shower, refill water containers, and wash clothes.  We have 3 showers (including two walk-ins that are fairly handicap friendly, and two sets of washer and dryers.  If any of my setxsports buddies need to bring your families out, get ahold of me tomorrow (today) at (409)781-3185. due to the uniqueness of my relationship with you guys, as we've mostly never met, this offer is only extended to people who've been well established on this board.  I feel like I know many of you, despite not meeting face to face, but I'm a little leery of some stranger seeing this post and trying to take advantage of my generosity and trying something. Never hurts to be a little cautious. 

As an aside, my wife got a little upset with me this morning.  I had to explain to her that, although our freezers have a pretty good supply of meat, she needed to take down her Facebook offer to feed any and all people involved in the local rescue efforts.  While I'm grateful for what they're doing, supplies are tough to replenish right now, and we're currently feeding 9 mouths a meal.  She didn't consider the fact that if the Cajun navy showed up for dinner we'd be reduced to eating dry cereal and canned beets for the next week :)

On the price gouging issue, it is illegal and if you believe you spot it and feel the need or duty to report it, the Texas Attorney General, consumer protection division would be the place.  I suppose they would determine whether they believe it to be the case in any particular instance and whether they choose to prosecute it.  

I have been to a few stores and haven't seen it personally.  I did see where the HEB in Cypress was selling bread for 10 cents a loaf.  I can tell you that the HEB will be getting even more of my business in the future.  

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

It's been awesome seeing all of the stories of people helping one another this last week.  We were blessed to stay dry in fannett, but most of our neighbors were not so lucky.  We're doing what we can to help out.  We've got a family of 5 from up the road staying with us right now.  We only knew them to wave to in passing, but I saw them try to get out Tuesday morning and have to turn around and return to their flooded house.  I told them to grab what they could and come on, and they've been here 4 days.  Turns out we've made some great new friends.  We're also having people come from Beaumont to get a hot shower, refill water containers, and wash clothes.  We have 3 showers (including two walk-ins that are fairly handicap friendly, and two sets of washer and dryers.  If any of my setxsports buddies need to bring your families out, get ahold of me tomorrow (today) at (409)781-3185. due to the uniqueness of my relationship with you guys, as we've mostly never met, this offer is only extended to people who've been well established on this board.  I feel like I know many of you, despite not meeting face to face, but I'm a little leery of some stranger seeing this post and trying to take advantage of my generosity and trying something. Never hurts to be a little cautious. 

As an aside, my wife got a little upset with me this morning.  I had to explain to her that, although our freezers have a pretty good supply of meat, she needed to take down her Facebook offer to feed any and all people involved in the local rescue efforts.  While I'm grateful for what they're doing, supplies are tough to replenish right now, and we're currently feeding 9 mouths a meal.  She didn't consider the fact that if the Cajun navy showed up for dinner we'd be reduced to eating dry cereal and canned beets for the next week :)

You have cold beer?  If so, I'm there!

Seriously, I feel you.  I have a house full of people myself.  They have all been pretty great except for that 1(my dad), that touches every single button on my washer/dryer/stove/microwave/etc..even after I've told him 57 times not to touch anything electronical in my house.

On the bright side, College Football starts tomorrow and I have half a bottle of Crown left.  The sad part is that I'm supposed to be in Vegas right now getting ready to drive to LA for the A&M/UCLA game.  Anyways I need to get some sleep.  I gotta set my alarm for that Texas/Maryland kickoff before breakfast.

2 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

Seriously, I feel you.  I have a house full of people myself.  They have all been pretty great except for that 1(my dad), that touches every single button on my washer/dryer/stove/microwave/etc..even after I've told him 57 times not to touch anything electronical in my house.

On the bright side, College Football starts tomorrow and I have half a bottle of Crown left.  The sad part is that I'm supposed to be in Vegas right now getting ready to drive to LA for the A&M/UCLA game.  Anyways I need to get some sleep.  I gotta set my alarm for that Texas/Maryland kickoff before breakfast.

We HAD cold beer, but cooked ribs day before yesterday and fried fish last night.  But the convenience store got a fresh shipment yesterday, so we could probably make it happen for you 

5 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

Even in times of natural disaster, he's got his mind on his Daddy and his Daddy on his mind. 

7 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Even Harvey can't make Texans eat tofu.

This is the hidden content, please

And doesn't that say a lot of good things about Texans!

What really says volumes, all the people helping people, and the folks coming down to help, or sending supplies down.  With our electricity off and water well not working, we needed more drinking water.  Went down to EVFD and they had stacks of all kinds of supplies, including drinking water folks had brought down.  To all those able to help in anyway, thank you, and God Bless.

10 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Even Harvey can't make Texans eat tofu.

I was telling Reb I swung by the store right before the storm and the only bread we could get was gluten free.  As I told him, I don't know what Gluten is but trust me when I say you're going to want it in your bread...

6 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I was telling Reb I swung by the store right before the storm and the only bread we could get was gluten free.  As I told him, I don't know what Gluten is but trust me when I say you're going to want it in your bread...

Speaking of swinging by the store, in this age of Internet shopping, and Amazon getting in the food business:  When warned of Harvey, we got our usual amount of extra supplies.  This one has, and will, lasted much longer, and caused more devastation than anyone expected.  Our family has been to the Silsbee Wal Mart, and Brookshire Bro's numerous times after the storm made it through.  Didn't always get what we wanted, but usually we could get what we really needed.  Now, had I gotten on line and ordered food and water from Amazon - guess what - I wouldn't get nothing.  How could they deliver?  They can't.  No Fed Ex, or UPS can deliver.  So, we have Wal Mart, Market Basket, Brookshire Bro's, Krogers, supplying what they can, and Amazon, nothing.  And they'll have their stores restocked before you'll be able to get anything from Amazon.  You might want to remember that.

And if you want a little icing on the cake, here it is:  Wal Mart has donated $20 Million to help the victims of Harvey.  The GIANT Amazon is matching up to $1 million donated on Amazon.  So call me hard headed, but I can't ever imagine anyone in my family buying food from Amazon. I'll support our local Wal Marts and grocery chains for the remainder of my life.

Being halfway around the world, I cannot begin to imagine how everyone is doing there. With internet I have been able to follow the storm and to be honest I never thought there would be a storm that could turn Allison into a kids meal. I was 7 when Allison came through and living on the south side. Places that did not flood then were 6-12 feet deep after this one. Really tough because there are many students and faculty members that have family in Houston and yet I was the only one knew just how bad this storm was. Hope everyone there is okay.

If there is one thing that everyone around the world should know is that while these storms give the Texas Coast there best shot and bring us to our knees, ain't no storm can knock us out.

JUDGE MC DANIEL: Please pass the word along that we will be grilling chicken for All First Responders, police departments, sheriff departments, ambulance personnel , linemen, volunteer fireman, city and county workers .....ANY ONE THAT WAS INVOLVED WITH EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AND RESCUE !!!!!
In any part of Hardin, Jefferson, or jasper county!!!!
We will be set up at the ole Walmart parking lot in SILSBEE and serving by 12:00 noon on Tuesday, September 5th!!!!
PLEASE PLEASE PASS THE WORD ... WE HAVE 40,000 pounds of chicken to serve ( 18 wheeler load)
From the GOOD OLE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI .... MR RONNIE JOE KEYES  DONATING THE CHICKEN AND TEXAS LAND BANK WILL BE GRILLING!!! Their appreciation of the splendid response of our GREAT RESPONDERS!!!
Any questions please feel free to contact me Anna Tanton at Silsbee Oaks Healthcare 409-385-5571...