Is Trump truly the president of all the people?

Fee Dee

From the article:

Some, however, believe the Obama administration relied on consent decrees too often and sometimes took advantage of vulnerable cities unable to effectively defend themselves against a well-resourced DOJ.

“I think a recalibration would be welcome,” said Richard Epstein, a professor at New York University School of Law and a fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford, adding that consent decrees should be used in cases where clear, systemic issues of discrimination exist.

4 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

From the article:

Some, however, believe the Obama administration relied on consent decrees too often and sometimes took advantage of vulnerable cities unable to effectively defend themselves against a well-resourced DOJ.

“I think a recalibration would be welcome,” said Richard Epstein, a professor at New York University School of Law and a fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford, adding that consent decrees should be used in cases where clear, systemic issues of discrimination exist.

It is funny you posted that because that is exactly what jumped out at me from the article. 

Another quote “They are key to civil rights enforcement,” he said. “That’s why Sessions and his ilk don’t like them.”  When this is the statements they use from the other side, I tend to disregard them as a credible opinion.

1 hour ago, texanabroad said:

It is funny you posted that because that is exactly what jumped out at me from the article. 

Another quote “They are key to civil rights enforcement,” he said. “That’s why Sessions and his ilk don’t like them.”  When this is the statements they use from the other side, I tend to disregard them as a credible opinion.

Great minds... 

How so, Obama is a Halfrican he is just as white as he is black, so racist toward who? People who personally know Trump says he is not a racist, and I have never called him one, however, if it is true he is rolling back civil right laws and practices, he is not the president of all the people! I hear that often that Obama is a racist but no one has come forward with specific information., 

It's been my observation that virtually anything the Govt gets involved with, however warranty, or needed initially, eventually gets to the point of abuse.  For example, the EPA.  I'll readily admit that in 1970, when the EPA was founded, it was needed.  Industry was polluting the water and air with total disregard for the resulting problems.  In the last few years, that same EPA was trying to obtain control of millions of acres of private land by getting ditches or any low areas water may drain off brought under their power.  The EPA has unbridled power to make demands.  Essentially, they've become an abusive Agency of the Govt. A perfect example of "power corrupts".  Personally, I'm glad that Trump has reined in the EPA.  We still need it, but we don't need abuse.

Another example recently was the IRS' Lois Lerner, in charge of the Exempt Organization Unit.  She allowed her personal political bias to use her power to discriminate against conservative organizations seeking exempt status.

Based on Prof Epstein's rebuttal in the article, there's evidence that the DOJ, via "consent decrees", abused their power.  And the article states "consent decrees can be a powerful tool".   Anytime any Govt. agency has a lot of power over others, that agency should be under constant scrutiny for abuse.  The (shortened) term, "power corrupts", is not some by gone reference to the Roman Empire.  It is now, and will forever be, a weakness in mankind, and we shouldn't allow it in our Govt.

8 hours ago, Fee Dee said:

How so, Obama is a Halfrican he is just as white as he is black, so racist toward who? People who personally know Trump says he is not a racist, and I have never called him one, however, if it is true he is rolling back civil right laws and practices, he is not the president of all the people! I hear that often that Obama is a racist but no one has come forward with specific information., 

Remember when he said about his Grandmother that she was a "typical white person?"

12 hours ago, Reagan said:

It's time to face facts:  Between the two -- obama was/is the racist, not Trump. 

Trump and his dad were sued by the Dept. Of Justice for discriminatory practices against blacks in regards to their housing complexes in the 70s. A black person was sent into a complex to inquire about housing, they were told that there were not any units available. Three minutes later, a white person was sent in and miracleously there were apartments available.

30 minutes ago, Big girl said:
30 minutes ago, Big girl said:

Trump and his dad were sued by the Dept. Of Justice for discriminatory practices against blacks in regards to their housing complexes in the 70s. A black person was sent into a complex to inquire about housing, they were told that there were not any units available. Three minutes later, a white person was sent in and miracleously there were apartments available.

Proof?     I wonder over the years how many jobs Trump has created for minorities?

2 hours ago, new tobie said:

You always have to bring race into the situation, just like Englbert 

I never bring race into the situation, I just follow your lead. We all know it. You are the only one on here that is totally oblivious to your failed thought processes, but still think you are superior with moral authority. That's why we are constantly laughing at you.

15 hours ago, Reagan said:

Remember when he said about his Grandmother that she was a "typical white person?"

So what does that mean, in what context did he say it That is neither bad nor good, most people are good despite the color. However, since I join this group, I see more division than other groups I participate in. 

15 hours ago, Reagan said:

17 hours ago, REBgp said:

It's been my observation that virtually anything the Govt gets involved with, however warranty, or needed initially, eventually gets to the point of abuse.  For example, the EPA.  I'll readily admit that in 1970, when the EPA was founded, it was needed.  Industry was polluting the water and air with total disregard for the resulting problems.  In the last few years, that same EPA was trying to obtain control of millions of acres of private land by getting ditches or any low areas water may drain off brought under their power.  The EPA has unbridled power to make demands.  Essentially, they've become an abusive Agency of the Govt. A perfect example of "power corrupts".  Personally, I'm glad that Trump has reined in the EPA.  We still need it, but we don't need abuse.

Another example recently was the IRS' Lois Lerner, in charge of the Exempt Organization Unit.  She allowed her personal political bias to use her power to discriminate against conservative organizations seeking exempt status.

Based on Prof Epstein's rebuttal in the article, there's evidence that the DOJ, via "consent decrees", abused their power.  And the article states "consent decrees can be a powerful tool".   Anytime any Govt. agency has a lot of power over others, that agency should be under constant scrutiny for abuse.  The (shortened) term, "power corrupts", is not some by gone reference to the Roman Empire.  It is now, and will forever be, a weakness in mankind, and we shouldn't allow it in our Govt.

It's okay to set limits, but not to roll back the progress that was made, I think under these new changes dumping and air pollution will increase and to take off the emission standard off the automobile industry is a big mistake in my opinion. 

26 minutes ago, Fee Dee said:

It's okay to set limits, but not to roll back the progress that was made, I think under these new changes dumping and air pollution will increase and to take off the emission standard off the automobile industry is a big mistake in my opinion. 

What are you basing your opinion on? Could it be "D" or "R"?

5 hours ago, Fee Dee said:

I'll admit I'm uninformed as to the extent of the roll back, but some of the auto requirements are already severe, and the future demands virtually unrealistic.  The fact that two automakers have been caught cheating on emissions indicates to me that we're close to maximizing what can be done.  Science and Engineering can only do so much.  Car engines will emit exhaust. You'll never be able to "clean" that exhaust so it comes out as breathable air.  Ain't a gonna happen.  The improvements achieved, plus the improved gas mileage of current cars, is remarkable.  My first car, a 1964. got 14 mpg.  My current, 30 mpg.  Great strides, but as I said, there is a point where you've exhausted current technology.