Republican Scalise and Aide Shot

baddog

2 hours ago, Englebert said:

So you think guns should be less available. My question is who should be denied the right to defend themselves, family and property based on an arbitrary set of rules that have no measurable set of statistical results. That is, how the hell do you think you, or anyone else, can determine who should be denied the right of self protection. Please enlightened us on this set of criteria that you would implement that would determine who is competent versus who is incompetent to own a means of self protection. Keep in mind, when you list these qualifications, use the simple test of "would Stephen King be disqualified" with your qualification test.

I've asked this question on this site at multiple times, and not one single person can come up with a comprehensive, or even partial set of qualifications that indicate the slightest evidence of future violence. To be fair, no one on this Earth has done any better.

Forgive me, but I've just heard a few incompetent Liberal nut-cases spouting off about more gun control, and I apologize for attacking your post. Yours was the first I saw on this topic, and I would have started my own topic if I couldn't find a thread to attack. Having said that, let me restate my question. What laws would you enact to disqualify someone from self-protection? (This is not directed specifically at Fee Dee, but an open question for everyone on this board.)

This is a tough issue. I am very pro gun. I own many myself and won't give them up to anybody. I have had to take serious thought as to whether we still deserve the right to keep and bear arms due to these idiots shooting everyone up. I did research to convince myself that guns should be outlawed and I couldn't change my opinion on it. Looking at all the evidence from around the world and the US on places that have enacted gun bans, I determined that the constitution got it right. However, I have no problem with more thorough background checks and I suspect most conservatives have little problem with that as well. On a side note, I find it ironic that liberals support better background checks on gun purchases, but don't want them on people coming from countries with large numbers of people hoping to blow us up. Be consistent people That is another subject though. Anyway, back on topic. I feel that many gun related issues have to do with mental health issues. I believe that is where everyone's energy should be directed rather than at the VAST majority of gun owners, who are no threat to anyone. And no, I don't believe more laws are the answer. 

My whole question is still being ignored. So I'll try again. What questions need to be added to background checks or mental competency checks that would help determine who is a future risk for gun violence. I hear this rhetoric constantly that we need more and better background checks and to close the loop-holes. Okay, make some suggestions on what would help determine the competency of a (potential) gun-owner. I've asked this question numerous times, and have yet to get any kind of suggestions on what would make competency checks better.

The Liberals nut-cases have already offered a few suggestions. One Congressman has tried to introduce a bill that would ban gun ownership from anyone going through a divorce. Dianne Feinstein has proposed banning guns from all military veterans. She has also tried to ban all guns that have a barrel shroud attached. Do these people seem competent enough to enact laws designed to curb gun ownership. Once background checks become mandatory, more and more of the nut-cases will get so many restrictions passed that even the Pope would not qualify to own a gun.

Another point of emphasis is who should pay for these background checks and the privilege to own a gun. I read about places like Chicago that charge exorberent yearly fees just to exercise your right to own a gun. Lawmakers will undeniably use this avenue to curtail gun ownership, to the point that only the top 1% can afford to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights. It's already happening.

So when contemplating on what needs to be done to keep guns out of the hands of bad guys, don't forget to look long and hard about how our lawmakers will skew and distort sane laws and inject insane laws/regulations just to achieve their goal of total gun bans (except for their own private security of course).  

I bought a new pistol yesterday, well actually 2.  Academy has a Father's Day sale, buy one get a revolver free which was nice of them.  

It took maybe 20 min.  They took my license and ran that.  I filled out a questionnaire on a tablet saying I was a citizen and not a felon.  That was pretty much it.  The manager has to come walk you to the front, pay and leave.  Pretty easy process

5 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

I bought a new pistol yesterday, well actually 2.  Academy has a Father's Day sale, buy one get a revolver free which was nice of them.  

It took maybe 20 min.  They took my license and ran that.  I filled out a questionnaire on a tablet saying I was a citizen and not a felon.  That was pretty much it.  The manager has to come walk you to the front, pay and leave.  Pretty easy process

Did you skip the ethnicity question on the questionnaire? Why is that question on there? What business is it of the government to require that question? The last time I filled out the background check questionnaire I checked all seven ethnicities. The guy told me it would be rejected if I picked more than three, but it went through.

15 minutes ago, Englebert said:

Did you skip the ethnicity question on the questionnaire? Why is that question on there? What business is it of the government to require that question? The last time I filled out the background check questionnaire I checked all seven ethnicities. The guy told me it would be rejected if I picked more than three, but it went through.

I picked white.  I'm surprised it didn't get flagged.....

2 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

Buying them new and registering them just makes sure that Big Brother will know where to pick yours up when the time comes.  

I'll stick to used ones.  

9 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I have a hard time believing Rush can hit the ground when he's peeing ;) 

I'm not sure about the peeing, but I heard a story many years ago that he overindulged and hit the ground.  But to be fair, it's rather easy to do.  I to in my younger days managed that feat.  Amazingly, I found I could still move around, albeit on my hands and knees.  But I must warn you, if in a crowed establishment (especially a country dance hall), the cowboy boots will play havoc with your hands. :) 

13 hours ago, texanabroad said:

This is a tough issue. I am very pro gun. I own many myself and won't give them up to anybody. I have had to take serious thought as to whether we still deserve the right to keep and bear arms due to these idiots shooting everyone up. I did research to convince myself that guns should be outlawed and I couldn't change my opinion on it. Looking at all the evidence from around the world and the US on places that have enacted gun bans, I determined that the constitution got it right. However, I have no problem with more thorough background checks and I suspect most conservatives have little problem with that as well. On a side note, I find it ironic that liberals support better background checks on gun purchases, but don't want them on people coming from countries with large numbers of people hoping to blow us up. Be consistent people That is another subject though. Anyway, back on topic. I feel that many gun related issues have to do with mental health issues. I believe that is where everyone's energy should be directed rather than at the VAST majority of gun owners, who are no threat to anyone. And no, I don't believe more laws are the answer. 

1 hour ago, stevenash said:

Tobie, do you believe that stricter gun laws would have prevented what happened to the politicians yesterday?

I have never mentioned on this board that we need stricter gun laws. That won't solve anything, just need to be aware of idiots that may attain one. I will watch anyone closely that has a gun in their possession even my siblings. The kid in nederland didn't mean to shoot is twin brother .  Yet I pray for him and his family . 

25 minutes ago, new tobie said:

I have never mentioned on this board that we need stricter gun laws. That won't solve anything, just need to be aware of idiots that may attain one. I will watch anyone closely that has a gun in their possession even my siblings. The kid in nederland didn't mean to shoot is twin brother .  Yet I pray for him and his family . 

Be careful, Tobie- you are espousing a conservative viewpoint. 

1 hour ago, stevenash said:

Be careful, Tobie- you are espousing a conservative viewpoint. 

my only diffrence on (free stuff) is that I believe that some folks deserve help and some on this board believe in not helping anyone. im not trying to help the lazy. im trying to help the person that has worked for 45 years and has retired but can't afford medicine, food, and air condition/heat. or the couple whose child has cancer and they both had to quit their jobs, sell everthing and move to tennesee to take their child to St Jude Research Hospital. Its hard to help the true needy and keep the greedy away at the same time.

1 hour ago, new tobie said:

my only diffrence on (free stuff) is that I believe that some folks deserve help and some on this board believe in not helping anyone. im not trying to help the lazy. im trying to help the person that has worked for 45 years and has retired but can't afford medicine, food, and air condition/heat. or the couple whose child has cancer and they both had to quit their jobs, sell everthing and move to tennesee to take their child to St Jude Research Hospital. Its hard to help the true needy and keep the greedy away at the same time.

Can you name a single person on this board who does not believe in helping anyone? That is a pathetic statement, a blatant lie, and you know it. Trump would have to work night and day trying to compete with you in the lying category.

Everyone on this board has made it crystal clear that they think the Federal systems are ripe with fraud and abuse, even you. But somehow you do your little mental gymnastics to interpret that as "some on this board does not believe in helping anyone". How you can strain yourself so badly to twist simple statements into what you want to hear is incomprehensible to me. You must be incredibly tired writhing in that sea of hate.

5 minutes ago, Englebert said:

Can you name a single person on this board who does not believe in helping anyone? That is a pathetic statement, a blatant lie, and you know it. Trump would have to work night and day trying to compete with you in the lying category.

Everyone on this board has made it crystal clear that they think the Federal systems are ripe with fraud and abuse, even you. But somehow you do your little mental gymnastics to interpret that as "some on this board does not believe in helping anyone". How you can strain yourself so badly to twist simple statements into what you want to hear is incomprehensible to me. You must be incredible tired writhing in that sea of hate.

Did you retire from the circus because you sound like a clown.

9 minutes ago, new tobie said:

Did you retire from the circus because you sound like a clown.

And I'm suppose to even recognize your comprehension skills. You've shown them to be highly deficient, and your retorts don't even reach 1st grade level. That must be some blinding hate distorting you view of reality. What's incredible is how you can twist and turn it into something you think is admirable, while trying (laughably) to admonish every poster on this board. Sometimes you just need to stop and listen for the laughter.

4 minutes ago, Englebert said:

And I'm suppose to even recognize your comprehension skills. You've shown them to be highly deficient, and your retorts don't even reach 1st grade level. That must be some blinding hate distorting you view of reality. What's incredible is how you can twist and turn it into something you think is admirable, while trying (laughably) to admonish every poster on this board. Sometimes you just need to stop and listen for the laughter.

I only admonish the one toddler that im writing to right now. 

5 minutes ago, Englebert said:

You would have to skip two years in order to act like a five year old.