2017 District 11-3A D1 Preview

Buna Cougars

2016 : (7-5)(4-2)
-Area Finalists

Key Loss: RB/DB - Remy Connell
Key Returning:

Head coach: Bradley Morgan

- If I'm honest, I don't know a whole lot about the football program over in Buna. What I do know is that Bradley Morgan is a heck of a football coach and the Cougars always come out and compete in every game they play. The team I saw last year lacked the speed to keep up with Woodville, but made up for alot of that with their aggressiveness and technique. I expect alot of the same out of Buna this year.

Coldspring-Oakhurst Trojans

2016 : (5-6)(4-2)
-Area Finalists

Key Loss: RB - Don Taylor
Key Returning: QB/FS - Richard "Trey" Higgins III - Sr.

Head coach: Mark Byrd

- The Trojans take one of the biggest hits from graduation, losing several key pieces on both sides of the ball, including All District back Don Taylor. Higgins is a good QB, but it will all depend on these young guys coming in and filling the gaps left in the backfield and out wide. In the end, Coldspring-Oakhurst will have the athleticism and size to compete well.

Kirbyville Wildcats

2016 : (8-4)(4-2)
-Area Finalists

Key Loss: RB - Ty Dennis
Key Returning: QB - Tadarian Jackson - Sr.

Head coach: Todd Doughty

- Kirbyville, much like Coldspring, took a heavy hit from graduation as well. The loss of Ty Dennis on offense is a major blow, along with the loss of All-State linebacker Austin Reeves on the defensive side, as well as two-way starter Joseph Fentress. QB Tadarian Jackson is shaping up to be a stud if he continues his improvement as well as he did a year ago.

Kountze Lions

2016 : (3-7)(1-5)

Key Loss: RB/DB - TJ Stanford
Key Returning: QB/OLB - Dallion Edwards - Sr.

Head coach: Duane Joubert

- The Lions were probably the youngest and most raw team in the district in 2016 and their inexperience showed at times, but so did the large amount of athleticism Coach Joubert has developed in his few years as head coach. QB Edwards is a great athlete with a great football IQ. RB Adams is a good athlete in the backfield who can grind away chunks of yards at a time. I don't think Kountze has the depth or size to compete in this district quite yet, but don't be surprised if they play some competitive games with the top 4 teams in this district.

Trinity Tigers

2016 : (3-7)(2-4)

Key Loss: RB/CB - Javonte Oliphant
Key Returning: QB - Brady Bauer - So.

Head coach: Eric Droddy

- The Tigers return a few starters from a team that underachieved a year ago, after making the playoffs in 2015. They showed spurts of the athleticism and discipline they possess, but looked very unorganized and overwhelmed in their game against Woodville. Trinity loses their best athlete in RB Oliphant and their best defender in MLB McMillen, but they do return a promising young QB in sophomore Brady Bauer. 

Warren Warriors

2016 : (1-9)(0-6)

Key Loss: OT - Kobi Evans
Key Returning: RB - Devin Hadnot - Jr.

Head coach: Jay Buckner

- Warren was an extremely young team in 2016, so naturally, they are bringing back alot of starters from last year's squad. I expect them to take a step forward and compete more this year. I don't see them being at the bottom of the district this year, but unfortunately, they're still a long ways from competing with the top of this district.

Woodville Eagles

2016 : (10-2) (6-0)

-Area Finalists

Key Loss: DE - Chris Castle
Key Returning: RB - Zackary Martin - Jr.

Head coach: Ty Robinson

- The Eagles are coming off one of the most successful regular seasons that Woodville has ever seen, going 9-1, with their only loss coming to a very good Liberty squad. The losses of Ivan Lockhart on offense and Chris Castle on defense will sting. Castle will be impossible to replicate in the upcoming year for the Eagles, but RB Zackary Martin should fill the void left by Lockhart very nicely. Team him with senior CJ Wooten and you have one of the best running back tandems in class 3A. They should win this district again this year. Should.

2017 Prediction:

1. Woodville  (6-0)

2. Coldspring-Oakhurst  (4-2)

3. Buna (4-2)

4. Kirbyville  (4-2)

5. Kountze (2-4)

6. Warren  (1-5)

7. Trinity  (0-7)

The Bauer kid is not playing football this year.  Look for one of the two qb's from last year's undefeated in district JV squad to take over the position.  While the loss of Oliphant looks to be big on the surface, look for the offense to take a big step forward and surprise some folks this season.  I don't think there is any way they go 0-6 and finish last in district.  

1 hour ago, marionrobertmorrison said:

The Bauer kid is not playing football this year.  Look for one of the two qb's from last year's undefeated in district JV squad to take over the position.  While the loss of Oliphant looks to be big on the surface, look for the offense to take a big step forward and surprise some folks this season.  I don't think there is any way they go 0-6 and finish last in district.  

Trinity is also one of those teams I don't know a whole lot about. Thanks for your input.

I still think Woodville is the clear favorite to win this district.  After that the next 3 spots are up for grabs.  Buna always manages to put together scrappy, competitive squads.  I agree with a whole lot of what you have put together.  Kirbyville was hit hard by graduation and as good as Dennis was they lost some other really good players and sub-varsities won't have a lot to contribute.  I think the next three spots go to any mix of Buna, Coldspring and Trinity.  Kountze and Warren will be better but I still think they end up on the outside looking in.  

1 hour ago, Turn back the clock said:

Allen, that must've hurt putting your Kirbyville Wildcats so far down the list.  I heard the new coach was already getting ring sizes since they are winning state this year.

I think the last thing Kirbyville is worried about now is ring sizes. The way it looks with all these lawyer fees and lawsuits we may have to drop athletics 

3 hours ago, Makemineaconvertible said:

I think the last thing Kirbyville is worried about now is ring sizes. The way it looks with all these lawyer fees and lawsuits we may have to drop athletics 

Let's not go there, please. This is a football thread. Please keep it that way so you don't get this thread locked or removed. 

Of coarse these are all just assumptions on how the district will unfold. Not too many of us know a whole heck of a lot about other towns and teams. Most of this is based on what they did last year and who all graduated. Who knows maybe  Warren had 6 D1 athletes move in over the summer nobody really knows. It's a crap shoot based on last years performance and who all is coming back. I would never base it on " kirbyville was hit hard by graduation as was Trinity". Doesn't Katy get hit hard by graduation every year but they are always in the mix by seasons end. I will say Woodville is the favorite for this year but don't sleep on Trinity or Kountze this year. They have got some talent coming up. As far as Coldsprings they are a 4a school playing in a 3a district so they will compete well. Buna is always scrappy but their offense is a ball control, clock eater. Get them down by a couple scores and it takes them out of their element. Warren let's just say would be lots better off in a 2a district where they could compete better. Kirbyville I think will struggle this year because they are so far behind with a new hire and new offense and defense. Yea we may be the laughing stock this year but I wouldn't laugh too hard or too long because my wildcats will be back on top of that mountain before you know it. Maybe not next year or the next but their time is near. The cream always rises to the top. 

34 minutes ago, Makemineaconvertible said:

Of coarse these are all just assumptions on how the district will unfold. Not too many of us know a whole heck of a lot about other towns and teams. Most of this is based on what they did last year and who all graduated. Who knows maybe  Warren had 6 D1 athletes move in over the summer nobody really knows. It's a crap shoot based on last years performance and who all is coming back. I would never base it on " kirbyville was hit hard by graduation as was Trinity". Doesn't Katy get hit hard by graduation every year but they are always in the mix by seasons end. I will say Woodville is the favorite for this year but don't sleep on Trinity or Kountze this year. They have got some talent coming up. As far as Coldsprings they are a 4a school playing in a 3a district so they will compete well. Buna is always scrappy but their offense is a ball control, clock eater. Get them down by a couple scores and it takes them out of their element. Warren let's just say would be lots better off in a 2a district where they could compete better. Kirbyville I think will struggle this year because they are so far behind with a new hire and new offense and defense. Yea we may be the laughing stock this year but I wouldn't laugh too hard or too long because my wildcats will be back on top of that mountain before you know it. Maybe not next year or the next but their time is near. The cream always rises to the top. 

When you have a community that supports it's football program as much as the people in Kirbyville do, they will always rebuild and return to success. This may be a year of change and rebuilding for the Wildcats, but I'll never take our game against them lightly. Especially with it being in Kirbyville this year.