District 22-4A Shame

I've been watching fans acting like idiots for most of the years that I have been involved with high school sports. A couple of weeks ago at the second Silsbee versus Bridge City game I witnessed one of the most unlikely events that I have seen. Two Bridge City guys (both young men in high school or a few years out of it). They located themselves in the middle of the Silsbee fans and bad mouthed the officials the whole game. . 

When the game was over they were still at it.  Silsbee fans were yelling at them their team won  and they needed to just leave. Then the oddest thing happened. One of the officials came over to the Stands and started arguing with them. I could not figure out what they were trying to prove or what the official thought he was doing.

12 minutes ago, baseball_101 said:

Nobody cares what you think and it did make the difference between a win or loss of the game. So take your opinion and go shove it where the sun don't shine. Good night. 

Hey, I know there is still frustration over last nights events, but there is no place for that here.

26 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

very well saidSure, but it wouldn't be for anything you said.  The person I responded to decided to make you thread into going after fans of a particular school and nothing in his post did anything but go after that group.  I thought it was universally settled that it wasn't a proper thing to do (or at least to my satisfaction it was).

That prompted my comment and as long as such comments about a particular fan base are not repeated here, then this thread will continue.

As to the content of your argument, you will see my response below.

Very well said but you also must admit that there are many, many more game problems that have occurred than the .08% that I mentioned. Why defend out of control parents, fans, coaches or players. that makes little sence to me. You even state that you had to subdue a parent yourself, don't you see something wrong with that

3 minutes ago, 78Stang said:

Very well said but you also must admit that there are many, many more game problems that have occurred than the .08% that I mentioned. Why defend out of control parents, fans, coaches or players. that makes little sence to me. You even state that you had to subdue a parent yourself, don't you see something wrong with that

I was a college student from 1986-1990.  That happened, if I am not mistaken, in 1990 (27 years ago), I was just saying that parents and fans acting a fool is not a new phenomenon. 

You're right, these are not gestures that should be defended.  But by the same token, to declare it simply a 22-4A problem is a bit overreaching.

22 minutes ago, Uncle Pig said:

I'll go back to what I've been saying ever since I moved to this neck of the woods; while there are undoubtedly some great folks in this area, there are a ton of folks down here that have yet to become civilized. 

It's just that simple!

its sad to see any sporting event decided by an umpire or Referee's bad or biased call.  Virtually all of us have seen it.  What's really hard to take is a whole game of it, especially when all these bad calls are going against the same team.  I saw a basketball game in Cleveland several months back, that was the most bias officiating I've ever witnessed, in any sport.  Unfortunately, I get the impression that officials are getting harder to find, so I expect this problem to escalate.  But you shouldn't see it in a Forth Round playoff game.

4 hours ago, scoopno1 said:

I've been watching fans acting like idiots for most of the years that I have been involved with high school sports. A couple of weeks ago at the second Silsbee versus Bridge City game I witnessed one of the most unlikely events that I have seen. Two Bridge City guys (both young men in high school or a few years out of it). They located themselves in the middle of the Silsbee fans and bad mouthed the officials the whole game. . 

When the game was over they were still at it.  Silsbee fans were yelling at them their team won  and they needed to just leave. Then the oddest thing happened. One of the officials came over to the Stands and started arguing with them. I could not figure out what they were trying to prove or what the official thought he was doing.

The two BC fans you are referring to were still arguing with the ump about the fair call, of the triple. One of the guys also claimed to be an umpire himself. 

There was nothing that occurred at the Silsbee/BC game that can compare to what took place at Montgomery High in the BC/CS Gm...I've never seen anything like it...BC fans were ribbing the homeplate ump no more than any other team's fans do on any given game night in the state. IMO the Umpire behind the plate that was involved in two questionable calls at second base during Gm 1, was still irritated from being questioned by Coach Landry about those calls earlier that day. It was blatantly obvious by his body language, demeanor, or how ever you want to phrase it that he was ticked off at the BC coaches or fans or both.....He let that effect his calls concerning the strike zone and nobody can convince me otherwise....it wasn't even close to being consistently bad for both teams, it was as one sided as no other game I've ever witnessed.....There was also a scout or Coach from Waco Robinson that commented to a BC parent that "he couldn't believe what he had just saw"....It's hard to fully understand what took place by just reading comments on this board but if you were there or maybe listening to the KOGT broadcast it was absolutely unbelieveable...I would imagine there will be an article in the Orangeleader about the game...

12 minutes ago, JWB said:

There was nothing that occurred at the Silsbee/BC game that can compare to what took place at Montgomery High in the BC/CS Gm...I've never seen anything like it...BC fans were ribbing the homeplate ump no more than any other team's fans do on any given game night in the state. IMO the Umpire behind the plate that was involved in two questionable calls at second base during Gm 1, was still irritated from being questioned by Coach Landry about those calls earlier that day. It was blatantly obvious by his body language, demeanor, or how ever you want to phrase it that he was ticked off at the BC coaches or fans or both.....He let that effect his calls concerning the strike zone and nobody can convince me otherwise....it wasn't even close to being consistently bad for both teams, it was as one sided as no other game I've ever witnessed.....There was also a scout or Coach from Waco Robinson that commented to a BC parent that "he couldn't believe what he had just saw"....It's hard to fully understand what took place by just reading comments on this board but if you were there or maybe listening to the KOGT broadcast it was absolutely unbelieveable...I would imagine there will be an article in the Orangeleader about the game...

There was:

This is the hidden content, please

13 hours ago, T-daddy said:

Typical BC whinnying !!! Problem is yall are shown favoritism by local umps all year that when you get an impartial one yall blame the blue... Maybe China Springs was just better

It is my understanding that the ump in this game you call "impartial" is from the chapter that covers CS...Just saying!

The point is that they seem to do it every game. Silsbee had a school board  member who had to have the last word with an official a few years ago. He did not start to say as much as the BC fan  in the game with Silsbee. He was unable to attend games until after the school year was over and his son was the star player for Silsbee.

I got interrupted there. The point is that for every athletic event there are at least two teams on the field and one set of officials. It is the responsibility of the schools to make sure that their fans behave in an acceptable manner and sometimes that means telling some of them that they are not the official and that they are not welcome at the game. 

I have taken pictures and written stories at games for years and one of my goals has been to make sure I am not involved in what is happening on the field or court. If you work at it you get to be fairly good at doing just that. 

8 hours ago, JWB said:

That is a real shame.  The higher level you go, the less likely you will find one of these hacks that get caught up in their feelings.  Refs, umps, officials should NEVER get involved with fans unless they are being belligerent with the kids or being profane.  I just returned from an event where the refs were high major college or even D League officials.  And you can tell.  

Yes, they are better in general but the biggest difference is how they "handle" games.  They make mistakes just like players and coaches.  But they don't go on the defensive as soon as they do.  I've seen on multiple occasions a ref come over and say, "I blew that one coach" or something similar.  Without fail, the coach replied that he could respect that. 

For those officials who aspire to move up or just do their job as well as they can, you know you are doing your job when you aren't becoming a focus of what is occurring on the field/court.  No one came to see you do your job and you will have done it well if they barely noticed you were there...

On 5/29/2017 at 9:43 PM, baseball_101 said:

Nobody cares what you think and it did make the difference between a win or loss of the game. So take your opinion and go shove it where the sun don't shine. Good night. 

Thank you for making 78Stang's point for him, severe lack of sportsmanship, personal attacks and inability to maintain self-control.

Makes the whole District look bad.

Ok, I'm going to say this once and it applies to all,  discussion of the game and calls are fine as long as it stays within the rules.  Start bashing another city, team, players, other users on this board, or the umpires personally and you are going to get a vacation.  End of story.

1 hour ago, bigdog said:

Ok, I'm going to say this once and it applies to all,  discussion of the game and calls are fine as long as it stays within the rules.  Start bashing another city, team, players, other users on this board, or the umpires personally and you are going to get a vacation.  End of story.

But if you notice over the years it's the same city or communities that continue to have these issues... It's a culture within the communities that continues to fester year after year

22 minutes ago, T-daddy said:

But if you notice over the years it's the same city or communities that continue to have these issues... It's a culture within the communities that continues to fester year after year

Then they can do that elsewhere 

8 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

Thank you for making 78Stang's point for him, severe lack of sportsmanship, personal attacks and inability to maintain self-control.

Makes the whole District look bad.

I am glad to know that someone else sees the same things I do. This district has a very bad sportsmanship reputation and honestly it is not just one school. Every school has been part of the problem but some schools more than others.

If you were an umpire or referee, don't you think that your attitude would be affected when every time you officiated certain teams a parent, fan, coach or player of that team was throwing a fit over every decision that you made if it did not go their way. Usually it is the same people every game.