District 22-4A Shame

Parents, Coaches and fans. It is way past time for everyone to stop the endless, embarrassing support of your team while displaying terrible sportsmanship. District 22-4A is by far one of the very best districts in all of Texas in any sport. But the district has also become to be known as the least disciplined in the state. It is beyond support of your team when Umpires, referees, school administrators and law enforcement  are called upon at almost every District sporting event in order to keep players, fans and parents calm and stop any fights.

1) Silsbee/ LCM basketball fight

2) BC racial post of WOS player during football season

3) WOS baseball playoff game with Robinson

4) BC baseball playoff with China Spring

These are a few examples of what poor sportsmanship looks like and anyone who is involved should be ashamed of themselves and the example that they are showing these young kids and the black eye that it puts on the school and the District. Remember- It is just a game.

8 hours ago, 78Stang said:

Parents, Coaches and fans. It is way past time for everyone to stop the endless, embarrassing support of your team while displaying terrible sportsmanship. District 22-4A is by far one of the very best districts in all of Texas in any sport. But the district has also become to be known as the least disciplined in the state. It is beyond support of your team when Umpires, referees, school administrators and law enforcement  are called upon at almost every District sporting event in order to keep players, fans and parents calm and stop any fights.

These are a few examples of what poor sportsmanship looks like and anyone who is involved should be ashamed of themselves and the example that they are showing these young kids and the black eye that it puts on the school and the District. Remember- It is just a game.

What happened at Robinson/WO-S game?

9 hours ago, 78Stang said:

Think what you want, that's  your opinion, but The umpire involed in bc vs cs game should never be allowed to call LL much less high school baseball ever again. He blatantly did not call the CS batter out on strikes and everyone in the park knew it. He should be ashamed of himself. He stole a win from those boys who have worked very hard and battled relentlessly to get as far as thy did, For it to be taken away by a snowflake umpire that got his feelings hurt and decided to take it out on the kids.  shameful and flat out wrong that a single man in a game of many be able to control an outcome of a game and do it so blatantly. Proud of the bc baseball coaches, players and proud to be a cardinal. 

9 minutes ago, BalloutCoog00 said:

Fox where did you get your info about the WOS game.I was listening to the BC game last night and I know there were fans ejected from the game and the bench was warned.So if you get more information on the WOS game let me know...

danny shapiro form the beaumont enterprise twitted it during the WOS game.

There's nothing like hassling an ump to make sure that every other call goes against you. I've never understood that logic. Does anybody seriously believe that an ump hunches over behind the plate and says to himself, "you know, that fan that's screaming at me is right. I need to make whatever changes are necessary to make sure this contest is called fairly. In fact, I owe that fan a call or two to make up for my mistakes."

1 hour ago, fox said:

according to a news source WOS parents were ejected and the WOS bench were warned for their behavior.

According to actually being there, the umpire threw out a guy that was there just as a fan. A guy that would be thrown out of a game after a grandmother. That guy did nothing. He wasn't yelling, all he did was raise his hand up and was saying the pitch was high. The umpire accused him of flipping him off. Not even a little close to being true. The dugout warning was for speaking on balls and strikes. All I can say about that is, if you had been there you too may have gotten a warning. I can't speak on any of the other situations but maybe our district is very passionate about our sports because we are that competitive. I can agree that we (22-4A)had a few things happen that shouldn't have happened. Those were kids not making the right choice. Let's not go overboard and say the whole district is out of control and should be ashamed because of a couple of incidents. I'm very proud of 22-4A and the way they compete at every sport. 

54 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

There's nothing like hassling an ump to make sure that every other call goes against you. I've never understood that logic. Does anybody seriously believe that an ump hunches over behind the plate and says to himself, "you know, that fan that's screaming at me is right. I need to make whatever changes are necessary to make sure this contest is called fairly. In fact, I owe that fan a call or two to make up for my mistakes."

54 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Not sure I'm understanding the point you're r trying to make??

These are kids. Most of them young. Emotions happen, especially at their age. The ending of last nights game, though not condoning actions whatsoever, put the teenagers emotions in overdrive. Let's all look back when we were 14-18 years old, did we make the best decisions at the spur of a momment?? I know I didn't. Maturity comes with age. Thanks to the quick actions of the coaches and some fans that helped get the situation under control, because it could have been way worse. And to speak about some parents getting upset, etc. I don't believe in cussing, etc at the umps what so ever but if that was my my child that was robbed, I would be a little upset also. Unless any of us "bystanders" are in that situation, we wouldn't know how we would react. Speculation and assumptions only cause more damage and misunderstanding. Remeber, once again, these are kids....kids that aren't playing for money or fame, rather, the love of the game. Putting everything on the line with their hearts and soul.

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Hassling blue doesn't help your team. In fact, it hurts the team more often than not. 

10 minutes ago, JWB said:

Were you at the BC/CS game Cardinalbacker?

I was wondering the same thing. Probably not. So basically what he's saying it was the fans who made the umpire make a horrible no call to end the cardinals season. Is that how you see it cardinalbacker??

1 hour ago, baseball_101 said:

I was wondering the same thing. Probably not. So basically what he's saying it was the fans who made the umpire make a horrible no call to end the cardinals season. Is that how you see it cardinalbacker??

Nothing but crickets.... LOL... if you weren't at the game you don't realize how bad the umpiring actually was.  

3 hours ago, baseball_101 said:

Guys, that's not what Cardinalbacker is saying for the love of all thing Holy. He is pointing out that these guys, the ups, already take enough crap. Their whole existence is judgement calls. Last I checked there is no instant replay in HS baseball, hell, any baseball. He is saying that riding the up all game will NOT help in the decision making of his said calls. And it might actually be detrimental to the team that is doing it. Not in spite from the ump, but just the ump getting fed up in general. Now, with that said, we all saw the pitch and all of us can agree it was a strike, probably CS people also. But that is baseball, it doesn't always go your way. CB is trying to say that riding an ump all day won't help the cause period, even if he shakes it off!!

Back to my original point in my post. As I was sure would be the case, most parents and homer fans are excusing actions of bad behavior or fighting because of a bad call or bad umpiring as they see it. Everyone needs to get real. Most of us have played a sport or two and been on the wrong side of a bad umpire or bad referee, there is no possible way that what is occurring in this district would ever, ever happen years ago. Coaches, umpires, administrators and parents would never tolerate the behavior back in the day and the player would be lucky to ever get on the field again. Stop making excuses for parents, fans, coaches and players lack of sportsmanship.

Remember- I am talking about every sport not just baseball, The lack of a good clean competitive sporting event is hard to find anymore. Every parent, fan or coach is constantly gripping about bad calls or non calls. Let the kids play the game, stay out of it.

If you are going to say that one strike call in a 7 inning game made the difference in a win or loss, then look at the score book. There were plenty of errors, walks, runners left on base and questionable balls and strikes for both teams.

5 minutes ago, 78Stang said:

Close it. I don't care!

Whether this topic it is closed or not, please look in the mirror tonight and ask yourself, Did I conduct myself at the football, baseball, softball, basketball, or soccer game in a manner that I am proud of and did I show team spirit while not embarrassing myself, my school, my child or my community.

19 minutes ago, 78Stang said:

Close it. I don't care!

Sure, but it wouldn't be for anything you said.  The person I responded to decided to make you thread into going after fans of a particular school and nothing in his post did anything but go after that group.  I thought it was universally settled that it wasn't a proper thing to do (or at least to my satisfaction it was).

That prompted my comment and as long as such comments about a particular fan base are not repeated here, then this thread will continue.

As to the content of your argument, you will see my response below.

1 hour ago, 78Stang said:

Back to my original point in my post. As I was sure would be the case, most parents and homer fans are excusing actions of bad behavior or fighting because of a bad call or bad umpiring as they see it. Everyone needs to get real. Most of us have played a sport or two and been on the wrong side of a bad umpire or bad referee, there is no possible way that what is occurring in this district would ever, ever happen years ago. Coaches, umpires, administrators and parents would never tolerate the behavior back in the day and the player would be lucky to ever get on the field again. Stop making excuses for parents, fans, coaches and players lack of sportsmanship.

Remember- I am talking about every sport not just baseball, The lack of a good clean competitive sporting event is hard to find anymore. Every parent, fan or coach is constantly gripping about bad calls or non calls. Let the kids play the game, stay out of it.

If you are going to say that one strike call in a 7 inning game made the difference in a win or loss, then look at the score book. There were plenty of errors, walks, runners left on base and questionable balls and strikes for both teams.

Just a look at the numbers, the schools of 22-4A (Bridge City, Hamshire-Fannett, Little Cypress-Mauriceville, Orangefield, Silsbee and West Orange-Stark) participated in at least 481 boys team sports events in the 2016-17 school year...you pointed out 4.  If you put pen to paper that is ,08% of the events that 22-4A teams participated in.

Now I don't mean to downplay the events you noted, as you correctly noted, they do require self reflection by those who participated.  However, to take these four events and declare some sort of epidemic of a lack of sportsmanship smacks a little bit of a "Chicken Little" syndrome. 

The only thing as old as sport is claiming that you have been wronged by the official.  I have seen it in Little League, Pop Warner and Little Dribblers forever.  As a young college student nearly 30 years ago, I had to hold back the father of a WO-S baseball player who promised to settle affairs with an umpire in the parking lot and this was after WO-S had just won a playoff game and series.  Suffice it to say, the conduct you lament is not a new event nor has the severity gotten worse.  It is just more publicized because of social media.

Hopefully, what you ask for fans and parents to do, they have been doing all along, but even the best of folks lose their heads.

1 hour ago, 78Stang said:

Nobody cares what you think and it did make the difference between a win or loss of the game. So take your opinion and go shove it where the sun don't shine. Good night.