Bridge City 10 China Spring 8/Gm2-FINAL/China Spring 10 Bridge City 9/Gm3-FINAL/China Spring wins series 2-1

17 minutes ago, Critter said:

can you tell where he was set up in the pics?  Because they look like different places to me.  You are right he got the hit when it mattered, but should the game have already been over?  Nobody will ever know why the ump called it like he did.

Was the pitch rt down the plate, or did it paint a corner? 

He was set up way inside in the pic that matters 

41 minutes ago, eknights88 said:

Was the pitch rt down the plate, or did it paint a corner? 

He was set up way inside in the pic that matters 

what pic are you looking at? the so called pic that "mattered" you can't tell where the catcher is set up at.  Even the Montgomery people and Robinson coaches said that the "second to last" pitch was right down the plate.  lets get the video from the CS side of the controversial pitch.

1 hour ago, Critter said:

can you tell where he was set up in the pics?  Because they look like different places to me.  You are right he got the hit when it mattered, but should the game have already been over?  Nobody will ever know why the ump called it like he did.

I see 2 things in the top pic, first, you can see that the catcher is setup a little away.  This can be seen by his right shin extending out a bit.  He does appear to catch it a little to the right of center, which would also mean the pitch was more over the plate.  Secondly, the hitter does not turn his shoulder nearly as much as in the bottom pic.  

You couple these 2 FACTS, and you can see where this pitch landed.  It was over the plate, and should have been called a strike.

The catcher is also my son, and he tells me that it was right down the middle, without question.  Before anyone says, well of course he would say that, notice in the video that he did start running to the pitcher celebrating before he realized that the ump did not call a strike.

We can sit here and talk until we are blue in the face.  The umpire called it a ball, CS got the game winning hit, and they are playing this week, not BC, even though BC should be.

I'll take an all district catchers word over somebody that didn't even go to the game any day.  Sky has never been one to say that a bad pitch was a good one, he's always been the one to say the pitch was up down or out.  It's funny to me that this thread died down but there are some that insist on bringing it back up again.

7 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Well, on a plus note, I didn't see any BC or CS kids throwing punches or fighting among themselves as was previously reported.  

BC kids were out of line, no doubt.  No excuse for that at all.  Very disappointing.  I don't have a problem with discipline being handed down from the UIL.  I'll be very disappointed if Landry/Dubois don't make a very strong statement by punishing the kids who touched or aggressively approached the umpire.  That's not who we are. 

Back to my original thought that was misunderstood by a lot of the faithful.  You have to wonder if this whole situation was worsened by the behavior of some BC fans.  I'm not justifying the calls.... I wasn't there and the video of the at bat in question looks bad, but who knows? I DO know that multiple fans from BC were ejected from the game prior to this altercation.  Did their behavior improve the umpire's performance?  Apparently not.  

How are players supposed to react when they've got an hour's worth of "Hey, Blue.... you're blind..... You're horrible..... Got to hell," etc, etc.? How can you expect kids to respond appropriately when their fans (and possibly family) have been disrespecting the officials for an hour or better?  

Nothing good comes from bashing the officials. 

You call yourself Cardinalbacker? You were not at the game, your kid doesn't even play baseball...how bout you either get onboard or find another team to back!

15 minutes ago, JWB said:

You call yourself Cardinalbacker? You were not at the game, your kid doesn't even play baseball...how bout you either get onboard or find another team to back!

Some people can't make it to every sporting event.. doesn't mean you don't back your town lol 

22 minutes ago, JWB said:

Oh, I'm onboard with the team... I just have a problem with fans who hassle the officials, then act surprised when future calls go against them, too.

I wasn't at the game... but I wouldn't have gotten tossed out and possibly hurt my team in the process, either.  

I'm a diehard BC fan, but I'm not dedicated enough to blindly support our fans and players abusing the officials... regardless of how bad the officials are. 

8 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Well, on a plus note, I didn't see any BC or CS kids throwing punches or fighting among themselves as was previously reported.  

BC kids were out of line, no doubt.  No excuse for that at all.  Very disappointing.  I don't have a problem with discipline being handed down from the UIL.  I'll be very disappointed if Landry/Dubois don't make a very strong statement by punishing the kids who touched or aggressively approached the umpire.  That's not who we are. 

Back to my original thought that was misunderstood by a lot of the faithful.  You have to wonder if this whole situation was worsened by the behavior of some BC fans.  I'm not justifying the calls.... I wasn't there and the video of the at bat in question looks bad, but who knows? I DO know that multiple fans from BC were ejected from the game prior to this altercation.  Did their behavior improve the umpire's performance?  Apparently not.  

How are players supposed to react when they've got an hour's worth of "Hey, Blue.... you're blind..... You're horrible..... Got to hell," etc, etc.? How can you expect kids to respond appropriately when their fans (and possibly family) have been disrespecting the officials for an hour or better?  

Nothing good comes from bashing the officials. 

I noticed a ton of that in the only BC game I saw live this year as well.  an umpire isn't  likely to give your team the borderline calls if he's been harassed all night.  That being said, I'm still not convinced this was a borderline call.

11 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Oh, I'm onboard with the team... I just have a problem with fans who hassle the officials, then act surprised when future calls go against them, too.

I wasn't at the game... but I wouldn't have gotten tossed out and possibly hurt my team in the process, either.  

I'm a diehard BC fan, but I'm not dedicated enough to blindly support our fans and players abusing the officials... regardless of how bad the officials are. 

I didn't have a dog in the fight but was there and I witnessed him kick several fana out of the ball park  of which several hand not  said a word either way I was sitting really close to a couple who were asked to leave and they hadn't said anything at all day ....ump definitely had it in for the BC side .....Really obvious...

8 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Vidor would have a problem if they ever started winning. 

If I remember right, Vidor tied PAM & PNG for District Champs in the recent football season.  That was a cheap shot CardinalBacker.  Just acknowledge that the kids in Vidor's athletic program appear to be more disciplined, and move on.

Here is a reply from a coach who played Bridge City in the playoffs prior to CS playing them. I would say it was pretty accurate. This is copied word for word prior to the game.

"They try to make things happen and put pressure on you. The players, their fans, and their coaches are very mouthy and disrespectful. They will try to get your players fired up about stupid things".

It's not exactly what I want being said about my team. 

3 hours ago, John Baseball said:

Here is a reply from a coach who played Bridge City in the playoffs prior to CS playing them. I would say it was pretty accurate. This is copied word for word prior to the game.

"They try to make things happen and put pressure on you. The players, their fans, and their coaches are very mouthy and disrespectful. They will try to get your players fired up about stupid things".

It's not exactly what I want being said about my team. 

LOL. Where exactly is this copied then pasted from? Sounds like the coach may have been a little upset about getting handed a loss. You know what they say, "pressure busts pipes" I love the style of play BC played with this year. Often times in HS baseball if you can continually put pressure on the other team you'll do very well and BC did that. A shame the way their season ended but the immediate future is very bright.  

Overall, I'd rate BC's overall athletic program "Very Good" this year.  Coach Dubois and his staff have done an excellent job.  As for basketball, Silsbee rules 4A.  Silsbee, as a town, is enthusiastic about basketball.  Some towns aren't.  I lived in Vidor most of my life, and very few follow basketball, while the stands would be packed for football even when they didn't win much.  Moved to Evadale, this is a basketball/baseball town. They love it.  Our boys beat many 3A & some 4A schools.  Our girls beat many 5A in basketball.  Thank goodness our boys don't have to play Silsbee or HJ.  So BC overall is competitive.

On the downside of HS athletics, it appears the officiating in all sports is getting more bias, or  just worse.  Not sure why, unless it's the need for officials.  Not as many want to do it, so people that shouldn't be officiating still get in the programs.  Officials are human, so they bring with them all those human frailties and biases.  Some, the really good ones, can overcome most of that, but many can't.  It's not fair to the kids, and it drives us fans crazy (I'm surprised my head didn't explode when we played Cleveland in basketball lol).

well when we played bridge city this year their coaches were very good to our kids during the game, their fans were very good to our fans and the umpires during the game, I had several of their fans after the game come up to us and say great things about our kids and program. Bridge City players were very respectful to me and my asst during the game if we spoke to anyone it was yes sir no sir.  Chad runs a great program 

35 minutes ago, REBgp said:

Overall, I'd rate BC's overall athletic program "Very Good" this year.  Coach Dubois and his staff have done an excellent job.  As for basketball, Silsbee rules 4A.  Silsbee, as a town, is enthusiastic about basketball.  Some towns aren't.  I lived in Vidor most of my life, and very few follow basketball, while the stands would be packed for football even when they didn't win much.  Moved to Evadale, this is a basketball/baseball town. They love it.  Our boys beat many 3A & some 4A schools.  Our girls beat many 5A in basketball.  Thank goodness our boys don't have to play Silsbee or HJ.  So BC overall is competitive.

On the downside of HS athletics, it appears the officiating in all sports is getting more bias, or  just worse.  Not sure why, unless it's the need for officials.  Not as many want to do it, so people that shouldn't be officiating still get in the programs.  Officials are human, so they bring with them all those human frailties and biases.  Some, the really good ones, can overcome most of that, but many can't.  It's not fair to the kids, and it drives us fans crazy (I'm surprised my head didn't explode when we played Cleveland in basketball lol).

People used to ref because they loved the games and liked making a little extra $$$. I strongly believe that the overall climate of how we treat one another is largely to blame. Why would I want to dedicate my nights and weekends to going out and getting disrespected and possibly attacked? Maybe 25 years ago when you might catch a little heat over a blown call, but to have to hear that crap over every call you make is ridiculous. Every close call an official makes will elicit a prompt howl form whichever side feels like they were wronged. "Love of the game" isn't enough to make most guys want to put up with that crap. 

Video evidence has made their job that much harder. Now we can pick which camera angle we prefer as evidence that the ump screwed up during his fraction of a second that he had to look at the pitch... and still be carrying on a week later. 

So if guys that actually love the game won't officiate, who gets left? Guys who just need the money, or guys who wouldn't have cut it as an official back before so many good refs stopped officiating. 

I'd be willing to bet that none of the "experts" that got tossed out of the stands last week have ever geared up and called an actual game.... but they know the ref stunk. 

19 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

People used to ref because they loved the games and liked making a little extra $$$. I strongly believe that the overall climate of how we treat one another is largely to blame. Why would I want to dedicate my nights and weekends to going out and getting disrespected and possibly attacked? Maybe 25 years ago when you might catch a little heat over a blown call, but to have to hear that crap over every call you make is ridiculous. Every close call an official makes will elicit a prompt howl form whichever side feels like they were wronged. "Love of the game" isn't enough to make most guys want to put up with that crap. 

Video evidence has made their job that much harder. Now we can pick which camera angle we prefer as evidence that the ump screwed up during his fraction of a second that he had to look at the pitch... and still be carrying on a week later. 

So if guys that actually love the game won't officiate, who gets left? Guys who just need the money, or guys who wouldn't have cut it as an official back before so many good refs stopped officiating. 

I'd be willing to bet that none of the "experts" that got tossed out of the stands last week have ever geared up and called an actual game.... but they know the ref stunk. 

When I was an asst coach in Mustang baseball, we'd take turns umpiring the 7 & 8 year olds.  My first round I was behind the plate.  About halfway thru, I was kneeling because my legs were pooped from squatting.  I was so sore for 3 or 4 days I was couldn't hardly walk lol.  I'd gladly gave my mask & chest protector to an irate fan. :) 

I for one do not envy umpires in any way.  And yes I am one at times hollering in the stands.  But I have been been on the other side once as well and once was enough for me. I was conned into calling third base years ago in a little league game. This was the only time I ever called a game and was to use to just watching the game.  Runners on first and second. A ball hit in the air that fell I believe.  It was thrown to third where the third baseman while kneeling on the bag caught it and attempted to tag the runner.  He missed the tag and I called him safe.  The fans went nuts.  And after a moment I realized it was a force out and I had to correct the call.  That was enough for me. 

19 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

20 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

yeah, could say the same about guys like you backer, ever been behind the plate? you have been commenting nothing but negatives for the past week and you call yourself a cardinal fan..smh! i am seeing all these comments and bc bashers on here that dont have a clue including you backer. you weren't at the game and surely didn't wittiness what we did. blatant bias from the start to finish starting with game one on Saturday and it was obvious. y'all sit up behind your computer screen typing away on your keyboards with your opinions about how bc fans were acting so let me set the record straight, since i was there. it was one fan that voiced his opinion at the time of the ejection about the umpires strike zone so he decided he wanted to be a little man with a big complex and and a chip on his shoulder and throw a whole section of fans that were in the vicinity out the park. that's it, that's all. and as far as kids shouldn't be doing this or that. let me ask you this? what if it was your kid that had been treated so blatantly unfair after doing everything right up to that point, for that moment to be taken away by an umpire that's upset with the way the fans were heckling him.  it wasn't the kids who said he sucked or he was making bad calls, so why take it out on them?  would you as a parent just stand back and watch it and not voice your opinion? some you snowflakes probably would, but not me, im going to stand up for mine till the day i die if i feel like hes being wronged and don't deserve it and that goes for each one of those boys on that team you can count on that and don't really care what anyone thinks of me. now saying all that i don"t condone putting hands on or confronting an umpire for any reason but lets give it a break already  it was a heat of the moment incident that was fueled by a lapse of judgement from an umpire can we just please put this bed.   

On 5/29/2017 at 10:49 AM, HAWK85 said:

Another general statement ....and remember they are just kids easy to stand back when you were not involved and on outside looking in .....

On 5/29/2017 at 10:49 AM, HAWK85 said:

Another general statement ....and remember they are just kids easy to stand back when you were not involved and on outside looking in .....

19 minutes ago, baseball_101 said:

yeah, could say the same about guys like you backer, ever been behind the plate? you have been commenting nothing but negatives for the past week and you call yourself a cardinal fan..smh! i am seeing all these comments and bc bashers on here that dont have a clue including you backer. you weren't at the game and surely didn't wittiness what we did. blatant bias from the start to finish starting with game one on Saturday and it was obvious. y'all sit up behind your computer screen typing away on your keyboards with your opinions about how bc fans were acting so let me set the record straight, since i was there. it was one fan that voiced his opinion at the time of the ejection about the umpires strike zone so he decided he wanted to be a little man with a big complex and and a chip on his shoulder and throw a whole section of fans that were in the vicinity out the park. that's it, that's all. and as far as kids shouldn't be doing this or that. let me ask you this? what if it was your kid that had been treated so blatantly unfair after doing everything right up to that point, for that moment to be taken away by an umpire that's upset with the way the fans were heckling him.  it wasn't the kids who said he sucked or he was making bad calls, so why take it out on them?  would you as a parent just stand back and watch it and not voice your opinion? some you snowflakes probably would, but not me, im going to stand up for mine till the day i die if i feel like hes being wronged and don't deserve it and that goes for each one of those boys on that team you can count on that and don't really care what anyone thinks of me. now saying all that i don"t condone putting hands on or confronting an umpire for any reason but lets give it a break already  it was a heat of the moment incident that was fueled by a lapse of judgement from an umpire can we just please put this bed.   

You know, there will always be those guys that can get pulled over for a busted taillight and talk their way into a ride in the back of a new Crown Vic. 

And still claim it was the cop's fault for over-reacting to a good cussing.  

Hey Baseball101...... I never got a response on my "what if it were your kid getting wronged" so I wouldn't expect any now.  Either people will agree and say they would say something if it involved their kid or you'll just hear crickets.... I am a old school Cardinal and I am right there with you on taking up for ALL of those boys, if we don't then who will?

35 minutes ago, Critter said:

Hey Baseball101...... I never got a response on my "what if it were your kid getting wronged" so I wouldn't expect any now.  Either people will agree and say they would say something if it involved their kid or you'll just hear crickets.... I am a old school Cardinal and I am right there with you on taking up for ALL of those boys, if we don't then who will?

I have seen my kid(s) come up wrong on a few calls, or not get calls that I felt they deserved. I didn't get ejected over it, if that's what you're asking.

"Life's not fair and the world is mean. You're going to get passed over for a promotion you deserve. Tons of cars will fly by you right before you get pulled over for speeding. Your wife might leave you for somebody else... but your ol' Daddy won't be there to cuss somebody for you.  And you're not going to get very far out of BC if your plan "a" is to flip your lid every time you feel slighted."

For what it's worth, I wonder if we'd still be playing this weekend if so many Cardinal fans weren't trying so hard to take up for the team. 

4 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I have seen my kid(s) come up wrong on a few calls, or not get calls that I felt they deserved. I didn't get ejected over it, if that's what you're asking.

"Life's not fair and the world is mean. You're going to get passed over for a promotion you deserve. Tons of cars will fly by you right before you get pulled over for speeding. Your wife might leave you for somebody else... but your ol' Daddy won't be there to cuss somebody for you.  And you're not going to get very far out of BC if your plan "a" is to flip your lid every time you feel slighted."

For what it's worth, I wonder if we'd still be playing this weekend if so many Cardinal fans weren't trying so hard to take up for the team. 

first off the group that got ejected wasn't even the group that was yelling at the ump just to let people know.  And who ever said life was fair? Things happen and sometimes you can't control them.  And who needs to leave BC as long as your life is good? well maybe a little north after the flood :)

Well, once again you didn't go to the game like most of the people that is keeping this thread going so you don't know that it's a shame that WE/Real BC fans had to take up for the boys from the first pitch of the first game.