Lamar softball got screwed!

bullets13

For those that didn't read the article and want the short version, lamar made the finals of the inaugural National Invitational Softball Tournament, which as best as I can tell is the new NIT tourney of college softball.  Lamar lost to liberty in the first game of the finals, leading to a final winner take all game.  in the top of the sixth inning Lamar scored 5 runs to take a 6-3 lead, then got two outs in the bottom of the sixth.  Heavy rain came, and after 19 minutes tourney officials declared the field unplayable and called the game, with the stats reverting back to the last completed inning.  At the end of the 5th inning Lamar was down 3-1, so Liberty was declared the tournament winner.  Pretty cheap way to win, if you ask me. 

3 hours ago, ECBucFan said:

Had the roles been reversed, would the Lady Cards take the win? 

Theoretically.  But one would wonder if the game would've been called if the roles were reversed, or if they might would've tried a little harder to complete the inning,  since the tourney was being held at Liberty.  

Guest ECBucFan
44 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Theoretically.  But one would wonder if the game would've been called if the roles were reversed, or if they might would've tried a little harder to complete the inning,  since the tourney was being held at Liberty.  

I don't even know where Liberty U. is located, but the feed I read said "torrential rains" made it unplayable. 

Do you think there was a conspiracy, and the game officials were "Liberty U. homers" that threw the game for Liberty? 

Ugly way to end the final game of your inaugural tournament. It had rained pretty much off and on all week. I've seen the rule invoked like this once in little league baseball due to time restrictions on finishing a tournament but this is different imho. The time I saw it was due to the lightning monitor going off. This was just rain, plain old rain just like every other day of the tournament. You've GOT to find a way to get that last out done in this situation. I'm pretty sure the director realized that later as he tweeted that he made a bad decision and it's all on him. On a lighter point, AWESOME showing by the Lady Cards. You made us all proud!! #PeckEm

54 minutes ago, ECBucFan said:

I don't even know where Liberty U. is located, but the feed I read said "torrential rains" made it unplayable. 

Do you think there was a conspiracy, and the game officials were "Liberty U. homers" that threw the game for Liberty? 

Nope. That's the way most "select" tournaments are set up to ensure a champion is named.

Rules are known in advance. 

1 hour ago, ECBucFan said:

It rained all week, and they delayed games all week, but in the finals that the home team was about to lose, after playing in rain the off and on the whole game, one out away from finishing the inning that would've given it to Lamar, they call the game in a manner that reverses the score back in favor of the home team?  And after only 19 minutes?  Yeah, I'm fairly confident there was some homer crap going on 

The stadium has an Astroturf outfield so that would not have deteriorated.  The infield has artificial dirt.  I think it was chicken to call it after 19 minutes.  As much rain as they had already played in they could have found a spot for that final out.  I figure it is all about money anyway since Liberty was the host school.  That is a poor introductory start to a new tournament if you want to lend it some credibility and attract more big names in the future that missed the NCAA tournament.

On the other hand, congratulations to senior pitcher Ciara Luna for putting the team on her back and pitching most of the innings in the tournament.  Also, to two other seniors catcher Brynn Baca and Ashley McDowell...to coach Holly Bruder...and to all the team for getting to the championship game and fighting to the very end.  You brought pride and class to Lamar University and our local area.

2 hours ago, snakehead26 said:

The stadium has an Astroturf outfield so that would not have deteriorated.  The infield has artificial dirt.  I think it was chicken to call it after 19 minutes.  As much rain as they had already played in they could have found a spot for that final out.  I figure it is all about money anyway since Liberty was the host school.  That is a poor introductory start to a new tournament if you want to lend it some credibility and attract more big names in the future that missed the NCAA tournament.

On the other hand, congratulations to senior pitcher Ciara Luna for putting the team on her back and pitching most of the innings in the tournament.  Also, to two other seniors catcher Brynn Baca and Ashley McDowell...to coach Holly Bruder...and to all the team for getting to the championship game and fighting to the very end.  You brought pride and class to Lamar University and our local area.

This! Very well said! The Lady Cards were the underdog in practically every game in the regionals and the finals tournaments. They sure didn't act like it. Gritty team!