Livingston ISD Claims Realignment Sanctons Unfair

WOSgrad

I've heard of schools hiding kids in the Alternative School for years. Then when Livingston got caught, I just assumed that they were the ones that got caught for doing something that a lot of schools do. After reading this article it seems that they got punished for doing something that others have been caught doing. Pretty crazy that the UIL ruled that 2 schools doing the same thing were in compliance with policies. 

41 minutes ago, Kegger said:

I've heard of schools hiding kids in the Alternative School for years. Then when Livingston got caught, I just assumed that they were the ones that got caught for doing something that a lot of schools do. After reading this article it seems that they got punished for doing something that others have been caught doing. Pretty crazy that the UIL ruled that 2 schools doing the same thing were in compliance with policies. 

There are 2 ways to run an AEP Campus 1. withdraw from main campus and enroll in AEP (Vidor does this)

2. Stay enrolled at main campus and be "placed" in a different locale

Guest ECBucFan

If Livingston has initiated a UIL open records request for 30 other districts, that indicates to me they might be on firm footing here. Hope Livingston wins.    

Guest ECBucFan

I agree. In reality though, non-uniform policy enforcement is the norm, rather than the exception, unfortunately. Look at what the NCAA does. The "majors" (like Notre Dame, for instance) can commit murder, and then get less than a slap on the wrist. A mid major (Lamar, SFA, Sam, etc) can have the tiniest, most non-consequential infraction and get scholarships revoked, placed on probation, and threatened with the Death penalty by the NCAA.

The old joke was:

The NCAA was SOOOO furious with Ohio State, that they placed Southwest Missouri State on probation, suspended them from playoffs for five years, and revoked 10 scholarships.

Not far from the truth.  

2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Maybe students at AEP shouldn't count.  Just make it a stipulation that when/if enrolled in AEP for any reason then you aren't allowed to play sports for that alignment period (2 years).  That'll solve that.  Not to mention schools have to pay for a kid being in an alternative setting.  

I could not agree with this more. If a student does something that bad to be placed in AEP, that student should be suspended for that year and the next. If not a UIL rule, schools should be adopt this.

3 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

I could not agree with this more. If a student does something that bad to be placed in AEP, that student should be suspended for that year and the next. If not a UIL rule, schools should be adopt this.

Then you wouldn't have to count them.  You would only be counting the kids that are potential UIL participants anyway.  Which is what the count is for.  Right?  Having schools compete with other schools with similar populations..

And the fact that schools have to pay for "seats" at alternatice campuses would stop schools from just hiding them over there...that combined with them not being able to participate.  

I don't know...just a thought.  The problem is I can already see ways of getting around that and working the system... I don't know the answer.

4 hours ago, Tigers2010 said:

AEP doesn't always work that way.   Most kids may get a week or 2 in there depending on the infraction.   Or , one Saturday.  ( Not speaking from experience) :)  Although this seems to be a little different than most Alternative campuses.

2 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

The Livingston campus in question is not a discipline based alternative campus. It is a computer based, credit recovery campus put in place to allow students who are over 19 years of age, more than one year behind in credits earned or are wishing to graduate early.

Yeah, I saw that after reading through the whole article.   Nederland's alternative campus is discipline based but also offers classes for credits to students who are trying to catch up on credits.