A public plea to the SETX board

Rake1

To all the SETX members,

It's time to take the board back and make it into the place we all enjoy. For quite some time this place has gone downhill for a variety of reasons. If you want a prime example read the BC vs Silsbee baseball game 2 thread starting on page 2, it's just over the top nonsense by both folks just trolling and moderators doing the same thing. There have been some really cool people who posted great information that just quit contributing due to all the trash that gets stirred up. Some of those folks completely left and that's a shame because they made this board a great place for people to get caught up on local high school athletics as well as college sports to some degree. I would like to humbly offer up a suggestion and that's to create a totally separate forum for those folks who just want to antagonize each other and let the trash talk flow. Let all those folks who constantly derail topics have at one another to their hearts content and stay out of topics where they disrupt everybody else. Hopefully this alternate forum can be created and the sports forums can go back to being about sports, the real reason most of us got here in the first place.

To the Moderators,

I personally appreciate the time you guys put in to keep this place going, I know that's a huge undertaking and thankless job. Hopefully you can "police" the site in the future and discourage all the "foolishness" by sending those unwanted comments to that "alternate forum". One more public appeal to "AAW" , you are an ultra knowledgeable guy who has done a fantastic job promoting local high school sports and I thank you for that. You were always super nice to my son while he was playing and you have been a stand up guy on other issues as well. I would encourage you to promote a little more positive responses to topics by yourself and others going forward because this board is the lifeline to local sports for people all over our area and beyond.

With respect to all,

Rake1

1 hour ago, Rake1 said:

To all the SETX members,

It's time to take the board back and make it into the place we all enjoy. For quite some time this place has gone downhill for a variety of reasons. If you want a prime example read the BC vs Silsbee baseball game 2 thread starting on page 2, it's just over the top nonsense by both folks just trolling and moderators doing the same thing. There have been some really cool people who posted great information that just quit contributing due to all the trash that gets stirred up. Some of those folks completely left and that's a shame because they made this board a great place for people to get caught up on local high school athletics as well as college sports to some degree. I would like to humbly offer up a suggestion and that's to create a totally separate forum for those folks who just want to antagonize each other and let the trash talk flow. Let all those folks who constantly derail topics have at one another to their hearts content and stay out of topics where they disrupt everybody else. Hopefully this alternate forum can be created and the sports forums can go back to being about sports, the real reason most of us got here in the first place.

To the Moderators,

I personally appreciate the time you guys put in to keep this place going, I know that's a huge undertaking and thankless job. Hopefully you can "police" the site in the future and discourage all the "foolishness" by sending those unwanted comments to that "alternate forum". One more public appeal to "AAW" , you are an ultra knowledgeable guy who has done a fantastic job promoting local high school sports and I thank you for that. You were always super nice to my son while he was playing and you have been a stand up guy on other issues as well. I would encourage you to promote a little more positive responses to topics by yourself and others going forward because this board is the lifeline to local sports for people all over our area and beyond.

With respect to all,

Rake1

Rake, I appreciate the post.  Any suggestion to make our little community that much better is always welcome.

While the forum that you suggested probably wouldn't be feasible, the thread you pointed to gave me a bit of an idea on a possible workable solution which will at the very least cut down on the issue.  I was thinking I will start it next week, but I can do it right now.

I agree 100% Rake.  When we stoop so far as to start minimizing other sports (one of which was by a fan of a school who has made a tremendous leap forward in that sport due to a great hire and dedication of its kids), we really need to evaluate why we post.  Kids do read this board and I'm sure they love to hear their accomplishments are unimportant.  Is that what is meant?  Of course not.  Is that the message that is sent?  Absolutely. 

I'm by no means a baseball guy anymore than I'm a soccer guy.  Both are too slow paced for my liking.  But I'm proud of all the kids from this area who have worked hard at their craft and are enjoying the fruits of their work.  Silsbee and BC included, both of whom had playoff seasons in all 3 of the major sports among others. 

I agree with WOSgrad about the feasibility of a "smack talk" board.  And who would want to moderate that.  As far as AAW, this board is not possible without all the time he devotes to it and who among us has not thoroughly enjoyed at least one of his many broadcasts, not only for the Tigers but also other schools.  And I don't know that I've ever seen him start one of these "detours"; I have seen him respond to some...he probably struggles like I do to jump in when someone posts something he believes is a bit ridiculous.  And as humans, we are never always correct in our beliefs and assumptions. 

Soooo, my suggestion for those who do enjoy some ribbing and smack talk - venture over to the college or pro sports board and fire away.  PhatMack, UTfanatic, BandwagonRanger, baddog, BSWildcats, teamfirst, king, myself, and others enjoy plenty of that over there.  And unlike with our HS kids, these subjects involve guys who are either paid a lot of money to play or coach, or are getting a high priced education to do so.  They aren't reading this board and if they do, they are adults who can take it.  My 2 cents. 

Thanks again for the thread Rake.  We don't always agree but I do ALWAYS enjoy your contributions to this board :) 

2 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Rake, I appreciate the post.  Any suggestion to make our little community that much better is always welcome.

While the forum that you suggested probably wouldn't be feasible, the thread you pointed to gave me a bit of an idea on a possible workable solution which will at the very least cut down on the issue.  I was thinking I will start it next week, but I can do it right now.

Why not just lock the thread causing the issues?

36 minutes ago, BS Wildcats said:

Because when I close a thread, I catch all sorts of crap (interestingly enough by the folks who are usually causing the need for a thread to be locked) that I am favoring one school or protecting another.  And quite frankly, I am growing pretty sick and tired of that accusation.  

I start the game thread for one reason, so that others are informed.  Once a game goes final and the final score is listed in the thread title, the utility of that thread ceases to exist.  And I have found that not only in this forum, but in the other high school sports forums once a thread goes final is when most of the stuff that folks do not like occurs.  They go after a coach or a kid (which has been against our policy from Day One and is codified in our rules), they talk about another town, which is pretty doggone distasteful and other things that Rake spoke of (and he was one of the first to speak up publicly, others have done so privately).  The single best way to prevent it is to shut down any game thread after the score goes final.

It is not without regret.  The post game is also when legitimate kudos for the effort of the kids  are given and sadly, this new method will prevent that as well.  I would suggest for those that do so, a comment thread to give them that kudos.

Sorry, it is imperfect.  But it is the best I can do for now.

29 minutes ago, BS Wildcats said:

The thread that prompted Rake to start this one is locked.  What's sad, some attempts at humor are responded to with unnecessary rigidity.  I know one thing in particular that raises my ire, is a poster criticizing a players performance by name, or even a playing position.  Example:  John Smith isn't making the tackles - or - WOS Middle Linebacker isn't making the tackles.  Jmo, but anyone who does that should be suspended.

14 minutes ago, REBgp said:

The thread that prompted Rake to start this one is locked.  What's sad, some attempts at humor are responded to with unnecessary rigidity.  I know one thing in particular that raises my ire, is a poster criticizing a players performance by name, or even a playing position.  Example:  John Smith isn't making the tackles - or - WOS Middle Linebacker isn't making the tackles.  Jmo, but anyone who does that should be suspended.

Along with others

Ok... I'll jump in here. If you go back and read the initial Silsbee vs. BC thread, I said that I picked BC to win in three because our bats had recently gotten hot. Period. 

That was closely followed by a proud Silsbee fan/dad popping back that we haven't faced pitching yet... it escalated into board managers trying to bet me $500 on the series, etc...

i was the ONLY person picking BC to win the series, and I was right. I'm a big guy.... I can take it, and I can dish it out.  In fact, I enjoy it. If you don't like trash talk, don't start it. It's that easy. 

But you can't say "you haven't seen pitching (because you haven't faced MY boy) yet" and then gripe about "class" when it doesn't work out like you'd hoped. 

You can't challenge people to bets and then be mad because you lose and the other guy is taking a victory lap. 

But I agree. That did kinda get outta hand.  Sorry for some of that.  

11 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Ok... I'll jump in here. If you go back and read the initial Silsbee vs. BC thread, I said that I picked BC to win in three because our bats had recently gotten hot. Period. 

That was closely followed by a proud Silsbee fan/dad popping back that we haven't faced pitching yet... it escalated into board managers trying to bet me $500 on the series, etc...

i was the ONLY person picking BC to win the series, and I was right. I'm a big guy.... I can take it, and I can dish it out.  In fact, I enjoy it. If you don't like trash talk, don't start it. It's that easy. 

But you can't say "you haven't seen pitching (because you haven't faced MY boy) yet" and then gripe about "class" when it doesn't work out like you'd hoped. 

You can't challenge people to bets and then be mad because you lose and the other guy is taking a victory lap. 

CardinalBacker....  Can not let you pretend you are the innocent victim here when you ARE the problem!!  I don't post a lot, but I do read a lot.  You troll almost every thread that has to do with Silsbee in every sport.  Even when games or the subject has nothing to do with Bridge City, you chime in with your negative Silsbee comments and of course you have to throw in your classic "Smoketown" even though no one on the thread has referred to Silsbee as such.  You obviously have a thing against Silsbee,  Do not think for one second that this thread is not about you, because IT IS!!!  So, just like Rake asked AAW to try to be more positive.  I am personally going to ask you to do the same, and if you can not, then stay off Silsbee threads that have nothing to do with Bridge City.  If non of that works, WOSgrad you should do the right thing and BLOCK HIM FROM THE SITE!!! 

Coming from someone who has no ties to either side and was just checking in after the weekend to see the result of this series, after reading the Silsbee v BC threads, but both sides were way out of line. Grown men acting like kids, both sides. It was hard to read and quite embarrassing. Most notably and tasteless, IMO, was the absurd $500 bet placed after someone claimed their team would win the series. If I get banned or whatever by the moderators then so be it, this forum has gone downhill fast and its sad to see. Definitely enjoy getting on here to get caught up on scores and such. 

I think some take the support or dissatisfaction of their home teams to personally. These young men and young ladies deserve our positive support. Some just need to agree to disagree! Like my Momma taught me, "If you don't have anything nice to say; Don't say anything at all!" Or in this case type it. I love watching all our area succeed in sports and especially our kids from this area on to the next level!!!!  Just my two cents... 

I have been thinking about what to say on this thread.  I for one dont have a problem with a LITTLE fun "trash talk", even though I don't do a whole lot of it.  I still do some.  But at times it definitely goes overboard.  I don't get too involved usually because ''tis is high school sports and just like we saw I the series that pushed us here, anything can happen. I personally do not like the present solution at all.  I enjoy the discussions on the games after they are played. I understand why it's being done but it takes a lot out of the experience for me.

12 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Well for one when I said real pitching I was talking about the team ... not my kid .... I don't have to come on here and brag about my kid ... he takes care of his business on the field .. so that can be dropped. And as far as pitching your first two rounds you played decent teams with ... so so pitching ... you can try and twist my words all you but you have basically come on here looking like a complete jack ass and completely disrespected the BC community and the fine baseball program that they have. And you don't even have a dog in this fight .. All city's have that one person ... don't be that guy ... stay classy 

Again congratulations to BC and the coaches for playing excellent baseball ... 

7 minutes ago, HOTROD309 said:

Well for one when I said real pitching I was talking about the team ... not my kid .... I don't have to come on here and brag about my kid ... he takes care of his business on the field .. so that can be dropped. And as far as pitching your first two rounds you played decent teams with ... so so pitching ... you can try and twist my words all you but you have basically come on here looking like a complete jack ass and completely disrespected the BC community and the fine baseball program that they have. And you don't even have a dog in this fight .. All city's have that one person ... don't be that guy ... stay classy 

Again congratulations to BC and the coaches for playing excellent baseball ... 

You hit the nail on the head. Every city has that one guy....

it is a shame that we don't always think of the kids first. I don't post a lot either but I read a lot. I generally only post in the Silsbee thread unless it's playoffs and I'm congratulating someone or giving credit were it's due but sometimes people just get on our threads and make it something personal towards Silsbee for whatever reason and it just gets to me. am I perfect no and any time I feel I've gone over board I've always apologized for it on the thread and got back on track. I don't mind playing but the personal grudges is just ridiculous. some people seem to get away with whatever they want and some get warnings for twitching an eye. it is what it is on that and whatever has to be done just has to be done. we play with a lot of kids from all over and I know they enjoy reading the support we give them in no matter what sport it is. each of us parents who are playing have a lot of time and money invested into this with our children and enjoy reading up on them. support doesn't just come from this site it also comes from how we act at the sporting event as well. like I said I'm not perfect but the trolling and the personal issues with rivals is just too much. it's better to be a part of the solution than the problem.

Guys, y'all need to realize how blessed you are to have a site like this. The work that goes into getting scores, schedules, providing game threads etc. Not to mention the time spent keeping it going. This is the best site in Texas. Smoaky and the Old Coach (even though good sites) can't hold a candle to setx. What if this site didn't exist?  It seems that people get their feelings hurt to easy these days. Just enjoy the ride.