Bridge City 2 Silsbee 1/Gm2-FINAL/Bridge City wins series 2-0

From an outsider looking in, a typical Bridge City vs Silsbee sporting event.  Hard fought, close game between two good teams.  Congrats to both teams.  Good luck to the Cards as they advance. And Tigers, hold your heads up.  Great season.

3 hours ago, REBgp said:

From an outsider looking in, a typical Bridge City vs Silsbee sporting event.  Hard fought, close game between two good teams.  Congrats to both teams.  Good luck to the Cards as they advance. And Tigers, hold your heads up.  Great season.

Close? Typical?

This past season's basketball scores:

Jan. 27 - Silsbee at Bridge City, 94-60*

Feb. 14 - Bridge City at Silsbee, 102-35*

These are typical scores when BC plays Silsbee in basketball. ;)

11 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Close? Typical?

Oh, yeah? What about the One Act Play? $500 says our marching bad scores higher!

Silsbee and HJ are the only 4a schools in the area that care about basketball. So congratulations on that basketball state championship. I'll compare it to our '06 cross country state championship. 

32 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Hmm... only schools that care. Easy for a BC person to say that.  By the way the only numbers that matter this school year are 3-0.  Yeah that's the number of state championships in Silsbee compared to Bc this year.  

Newton baseball won their first ever playoff baseball game this year. Think about that. They've never won a playoff baseball game, EVER. They don't care about baseball. So crowing at Newton about beating them in baseball is kinda like crowing at the rest of us about winning in basketball. 

Most 4A schools around here don't care about basketball. 22-4a very, VERY definitely cares about baseball. 

And we just sent the #6 ranked Silsbee Tigres home. 

58 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Close? Typical?

Lol, you've been reading to many Crosby football post.  Speaking of football BC won 42-41.  That's close.  BC won 2-1 in the baseball game.  That's close.  Yes, Silsbee managed to squeak out a substantial win in basketball, but I understand that BC drupped Silsbee in Chess, so I'd think overall the schools match up pretty evenly.. :) 

Btw, BC only beat lil Evadale by 10 (in BC), so with all due respect to BC, basketball is not their forte.  On the other hand, Silsbee is freaking awesome, and got a State Title to prove it.

Of the three major sports (football, basketball and baseball) only baseball has BC had the upper hand over Silsbee.

Silsbee holds a 34-9-1 record over BC in football.

Other than this past season's 42-41 BC win, look at the other scores of the football games of late between these two.

This is the hidden content, please

Not close, typically.

Bridge City has beat Silsbee just twice in basketball in 44 basketball seasons. Cards are 2-86 lifetime against Silsbee.

Bridge City won when it most mattered, in the playoffs. Congrats, job well done.

Just pointing out it's not all that typical for the games to be close when BC and Silsbee play in those three sports.

17 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Of the three major sports (football, basketball and baseball) only baseball has BC had the upper hand over Silsbee.

Other than this past season's 42-41 BC win, look at the other scores of the football games of late between these two.

Not close, typically.

Bridge City has beat Silsbee just twice in basketball in 44 basketball seasons. Cards are 2-86 lifetime against Silsbee.

Bridge City won when it most mattered, in the playoffs. Congrats, job well done.

Just pointing out it's not all that typical for the games to be close when BC and Silsbee play in those three sports.

I missed the part about your football SC.  

If you want to play the way-back-when game. 

We all agree that y'all are the Kountze of 22-4a without the rings. 

25 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Not close, typically.

Ok historically, you've done your research.  But this year, it's been close.  Wasn't this year the first State Championship for Silsbee, in any sport?   I know BC won State in football in '66.  If that's their only one, in any sport, the schools are tied there.  Anyway, I'd like to see them stay competitive (omitting basketball).  Imo, good for both schools.  For instance, if Silsbee didn't seek out competition in Bball this year, they'd went stagnant in this area.  

Hey, football will be starting up in the twinkling of an eye (especially for us old folks - as Andy Rooney said, "life is like a roll of toilet paper.  The closer to the end you get, the faster it goes".  And I can verify that, and I think I've got Hoops believing it.

5 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I missed the part about your football SC.  

If you want to play the way-back-when game. 

We all agree that y'all are the Kountze of 22-4a without the rings. 

Didn't know REBgp was talking about state championships. Thought he was talking about how typically games are close when BC and Silsbee play each other in sports, not just baseball.

That is what I was commenting on.

6 minutes ago, REBgp said:

Ok historically, you've done your research.  But this year, it's been close.  Wasn't this year the first State Championship for Silsbee, in any sport?   I know BC won State in football in '66.  If that's their only one, in any sport, the schools are tied there.  Anyway, I'd like to see them stay competitive (omitting basketball).  Imo, good for both schools.  For instance, if Silsbee didn't seek out competition in Bball this year, they'd went stagnant in this area.  

Hey, football will be starting up in the twinkling of an eye (especially for us old folks - as Andy Rooney said, "life is like a roll of toilet paper.  The closer to the end you get, the faster it goes".  And I can verify that.

To answer your question, Silsbee has won a state track championship (1988).

A 1 point football win coupled with splitting 4 games in baseball while getting completely blown out in basketball, I guess one could say that is close.

I am just saying it is not typical for BC to play Silsbee close in football and basketball.

Here's the honest question. How does a football team stacked with recruiter D1 talent like Silsbee come down here and lose to a bunch of unathletic kids (2 of which got D3 schollys)? How does a #6 ranked baseball team like Silsbee come down here and get swept by a bunch of underclassmen?

I'll be the first to admit that we don't have the quantity of outstanding athletes that Smoketown has. So why has Silsbee so woefully underperformed this year when facing the Cards? Is it coaching? Is it heart? Or do we just have the Tigers number?

So woefully performed?? Take baseball and football. A one point difference in the football game where the only difference amounted to BC having a consistent kicker and we didn't.  Yes all that matters there is a win and an even 2-2 record on the baseball field where if I am not mistaken BC was ranked as well this year at least at one point with a combined score of something like 22-15.  I wouldn't say that was woeful in anyway.  Yes BC won when it counted but that's baseball.  Errors and no runs scored at the wrong time and you lose.

14 minutes ago, ST413 said:

So woefully performed?? Take baseball and football. A one point difference in the football game where the only difference amounted to BC having a consistent kicker and we didn't.  Yes all that matters there is a win and an even 2-2 record on the baseball field where if I am not mistaken BC was ranked as well this year at least at one point with a combined score of something like 22-15.  I wouldn't say that was woeful in anyway.  Yes BC won when it counted but that's baseball.  Errors and no runs scored at the wrong time and you lose.

Are we blaming the kicker now? Y'all should have KILLED us based on all of the talent on that side of the field. Recruited talent like Tyler and Jones, Barnes (aka the fastest kid on the planet) A. Thomas, Newton, etc, etc, etc...... don't blame the kicker. 

Anyways, the horse has passed on so there's no reason for me to keep beating her. Like we beat Silsbee. 

Bottom line is if we didn't have teams like WOS, Silsbee, OF, LCM, and HF in our tough district making us better we'd subcome to an early exit in the playoffs... this proves once again that 22-4a is the toughest district in Texas IMO. Good luck to the Cards and Mustangs in the next round. Let's bring home some state hardware back to southeast Texas guys.

7 minutes ago, Critter said:

Bottom line is if we didn't have teams like WOS, Silsbee, OF, LCM, and HF in our tough district making us better we'd subcome to an early exit in the playoffs... this proves once again that 22-4a is the toughest district in Texas IMO. Good luck to the Cards and Mustangs in the next round. Let's bring home some state hardware back to southeast Texas guys.

I agree. But one question, was the district tough in basketball?

15 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I agree. But one question, was the district tough in basketball?

No.  

Because nobody cares about basketball. 

Just like nobody cares about golf.

Or tennis. 

Or the fishing team. 

"Oh, wait! A kid from Buna grew the state champion sow!"

No one cares.