Vidor Votes AGAINST Bond that would would have built a new High School

BMTSoulja1

On May 11, 2017 at 11:16 AM, BMTSoulja1 said:

And Reb, there are some smaller communities that mirrors Vidor in population and demographics  that approved bonds.  Just food for thought.  

No doubt Soulja.  And does Vidor need some new facilities?  You bet.  I'm just not sure what all was in the Bond Issue.  Could be they were trying to do to much at once?  Maybe to long without having a Bond Issue?  Maybe someone from Vidor (like the self proclaimed King of south Vidor) will get on here and explain why it failed.  

The thing everyone must remember, just because it's a school Bond Issue does not mean it's automatically good.  These Bond Issues are like anything else, there's bad ones and good ones.  

25 minutes ago, REBgp said:

No doubt Soulja.  And does Vidor need some new facilities?  You bet.  I'm just not sure what all was in the Bond Issue.  Could be they were trying to do to much at once?  Maybe to long without having a Bond Issue?  Maybe someone from Vidor (like the self proclaimed King of south Vidor) will get on here and explain why it failed.  

The thing everyone must remember, just because it's a school Bond Issue does not mean it's automatically good.  These Bond Issues are like anything else, there's bad ones and good ones.  

True.

On 5/14/2017 at 9:13 PM, REBgp said:

Says the guy who lives in a district with probably the nicest facilities in the state, per capita.  And I've always greatly admired Evadale for that.  

In terms of Vidor, their situation is a bit different from BC's.  BC did not NEED new facilities.  Many wanted them, and that is fine.  If you have been inside the Vidor HS lately (and I was last semester), they badly need a new school.  Not stadium or gym.  A school.  For learning. 

But whether it's "wants" or "needs," ultimately it's up to the voters.  If they don't see fit to place importance on education, maybe people who do will leave and find a community that does...

56 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Says the guy who lives in a district with probably the nicest facilities in the state, per capita.  And I've always greatly admired Evadale for that.  

In terms of Vidor, their situation is a bit different from BC's.  BC did not NEED new facilities.  Many wanted them, and that is fine.  If you have been inside the Vidor HS lately (and I was last semester), they badly need a new school.  Not stadium or gym.  A school.  For learning. 

But whether it's "wants" or "needs," ultimately it's up to the voters.  If they don't see fit to place importance on education, maybe people who do will leave and find a community that does...

You're just trying to encourage that 7' 2" post at Vidor with the 42" vertical leap to move to Orangefield.

• 2 weeks later...

Does Nederland need new schools?   Probably.   Will they get them?  Who knows , maybe next bond since the last one was pretty close to building two new ones.   After all the upgrades that they just did to the existing ones, (which turned out pretty well I might add) it will probably be a few years.   Still doesn't change the fact that NISD is one of the highest ranked in the area academically and has one of the lowest dropout rates.  The fact that 99% of the tax base is small business and actual landowners as opposed to large refineries means the burden is on them as others have said.  When they decide its time the bond will pass.   Some of the local  ISDs with large tax bases have proven time and again that money doesn't guarantee a good education. It is only one tool in the box.   

3 hours ago, bigdog said:

Does Nederland need new schools?   Probably.   Will they get them?  Who knows , maybe next bond since the last one was pretty close to building two new ones.   After all the upgrades that they just did to the existing ones, (which turned out pretty well I might add) it will probably be a few years.   Still doesn't change the fact that NISD is one of the highest ranked in the area academically and has one of the lowest dropout rates.  The fact that 99% of the tax base is small business and actual landowners as opposed to large refineries means the burden is on them as others have said.  When they decide its time the bond will pass.   Some of the local  ISDs with large tax bases have proven time and again that money doesn't guarantee a good education. It is only one tool in the box.   

Yep.

Money guarantees nothing.