Huffman Defeats HJ

Heard the HJ AD wouldn't let the JV suit out and travel with the team.  Man what an opportunity to build some momentum with your program.  You think he would've denied the JV players in football an opportunity to suit up at NRG? You're already taking a bus, what's a few extra burgers on the way home going to cost?  Maybe there is a legitimate explanation, and I sure would be interested to hear the rationale.

55 minutes ago, Chester86 said:

Heard the HJ AD wouldn't let the JV suit out and travel with the team.  Man what an opportunity to build some momentum with your program.  You think he would've denied the JV players in football an opportunity to suit up at NRG? You're already taking a bus, what's a few extra burgers on the way home going to cost?  Maybe there is a legitimate explanation, and I sure would be interested to hear the rationale.

I agree 100% with you Chester86. What a great opportunity for all the kids! Not meaning to pile on, but I am from the area so I will. They still don't have lights on the baseball field there either? If it was basketball (And I know all the history so don't start) they would have pulled out all the stops as well. There is some talent there and the coaches are good IMO, but not having lights at the baseball field at a 4A is tough for me to understand? I love the school and love the area, but my son is a baseball player only and attends another school for a lot of the above mentioned reasons.

2 hours ago, Chester86 said:

You make so many good points, I to would be interested to hear the rationale.  

While some logic sounds good on paper, hopefully this will be an ongoing experience and those said kids will have an opportunity to EARN that experience.  HJ did have a Sophomore team too, so how can JV dress out and not the Sophomore team dress out and go as well? This is by NO means a reflection of the AD. Just my two cents 

56 minutes ago, demons95 said:

While some logic sounds good on paper, hopefully this will be an ongoing experience and those said kids will have an opportunity to EARN that experience.  HJ did have a Sophomore team too, so how can JV dress out and not the Sophomore team dress out and go as well? This is by NO means a reflection of the AD. Just my two cents 

Hell, I say dress 'em all.  Throw your JV & sophomore pitchers down in the bull-pen with the catchers along with the JV coach.  Encourage the kids in the program to work hard, and reward them with this trip.  I am not a member of the district, but have friends there and in the program.  Those kids had been looking forward to that.  Then to have the AD say no - just boggles the mind.  Know there has to be another side (AD / Administrative) and just would love to hear it.

57 minutes ago, Chester86 said:

Hell, I say dress 'em all.  Throw your JV & sophomore pitchers down in the bull-pen with the catchers along with the JV coach.  Encourage the kids in the program to work hard, and reward them with this trip.  I am not a member of the district, but have friends there and in the program.  Those kids had been looking forward to that.  Then to have the AD say no - just boggles the mind.  Know there has to be another side (AD / Administrative) and just would love to hear it.

Just wondering if all coaches do it. Was Huffmans JV there dressed out? When WOS played in Cowboys Stadium for State Championship in football was the whole Freshman and JV team there dressed out? Why do they not give letterman jackets to Freshman? How come you can't get inducted into National Honor Society until you're a Junior? I am in the district and that's my point.  If it were my son, and it will be next year as an underclassmen, I would love for him to see that if I continue to work hard I get to play here in the future.  If everyone get's the same reward, what motivation is there to work?

First off they did dress the juniors who are on JV and moved them up for the rest of the season. The rest of the JV team is made up of freshman. The reason they did not dress them was because they had a game on Tuesday. You can only play one weekday game during a school week and if they had dressed them for this game then they would have all been ineligible for the Tuesday game. Huffman did not dress their JV either. Many of the JV kids came to the game on the football bus or with parents. The plan I have heard is to continue trying to do this program. That will give the kids that didn't play this year incentive to stay with the program and work towards playing at Minute Maid.

19 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

First off they did dress the juniors who are on JV and moved them up for the rest of the season. The rest of the JV team is made up of freshman. The reason they did not dress them was because they had a game on Tuesday. You can only play one weekday game during a school week and if they had dressed them for this game then they would have all been ineligible for the Tuesday game. Huffman did not dress their JV either. Many of the JV kids came to the game on the football bus or with parents. The plan I have heard is to continue trying to do this program. That will give the kids that didn't play this year incentive to stay with the program and work towards playing at Minute Maid.

See. I knew I was a genius

54 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Dammit,  I was hoping you'd say our AD hated JV baseball players and could care less about building a program. Ha Ha. That would've made for a better story. Thats a boring logical answer. Sorry folks nothing here. Move along

1 hour ago, Hawkguy said:

As stated earlier - "Know there has to be another side (AD / Administrative) and just would love to hear it."  Thank-you, that is a logical response.  I can clearly see that as an appropriate reasoned response.

Dear HJ Athletic Director

Please inform all of us here on the internet of all your moves from now on. Otherwise you will be considered a shady heartless bast^%$d. Also since we are doing this we might as well know the rationale behind EVERY ATHLETIC DIRECTOR in the entire areas decision from here on out otherwise they will join the category of shady heartless bast^%$d also.....

The internet keyboard warriors have spoken........

We also want to know what you had for dinner last night and what your favorite sitcom is

Highly doubt he would of suited up the JV at NRG...maybe for a playoff game but not for a district game in a nice stadium...That's all it was...a district game in a Pro stadium and sub varsity parents feel like their kids DESERVE to travel and suit up?  Quit griping HJ parents, your creating a very snobby overview of all the HJ parents who I'm sure know this is not an issue nor should it be. 

After reading back thru the post, the fact that it was a fundraiser that all teams participated in is where the problem is. I don't think those kids or parents feel like they were entitled to be on the field, but at least wear their jersey and support the boys. If it was insinuated that all kids would go then they should have put them on a bus and let them go. I think this was something spawned from nothing and you have a guy person from another school worried about what goes on at a different school. I do know this that Coach Sloan and Coach Trotter are very approachable.  If you have questions,ask them personally.  If you have have comments, tell them personally. How can we as parents expect to move forward if we don't communicate.  Don't make something out of nothing and obviously that's what happened here. Title of post: Huffman beats HJ to clinch a tie for first place. Next post: I hear HJ Coaches were mean.  HMMM can't imagine how that was turned around.

On 4/27/2017 at 10:31 AM, bjimbo said:

Highly doubt he would of suited up the JV at NRG...maybe for a playoff game but not for a district game in a nice stadium...That's all it was...a district game in a Pro stadium and sub varsity parents feel like their kids DESERVE to travel and suit up?  Quit griping HJ parents, your creating a very snobby overview of all the HJ parents who I'm sure know this is not an issue nor should it be. 

Actually, since Coach Thompson has been in place, WO-S does not suit out all of its JV for post season games.  While I would like to tell to you that it comes out of some sort of lesson that he is trying to teach the kids on the subvarsity teams that they have to earn it, the explanation is a lot simpler. 

It comes down to money.

It is just the fact that as schools like WO-S and Hardin-Jefferson are schools who have decreased size and thus, decreased athletic budgets.  And in Sour Lake, that decreased budget got stretched even further with the recent realignment which significantly increased the travel the Hawk teams have to make to meet their district opponents.  Sometimes, a line has to be drawn and where that line stands is not always in a great place.

Sure, I would have loved to see every sub-varsity player get to suit up at Minute Maid, NRG or any other pro facility that one of schools get the opportunity to play for.  Coach Sloan and Coach Kirkland likely share that wish.  But when the money ain't there, the money ain't there.

Yes, I know I will hear from folks from other schools, "Welcome to our world!"  Quite frankly, I don't know how folks like Evadale, Big Sandy, Sabine Pass and High Island do it given the travel schedules to district games and even more onerous, the travel schedule that being in Region IV will present.  But I am sure that Coach Williams, Coach Hooker, Coach Laird and Coach Bronkhorst have the same lines that they have to draw to pull it off.