UIl ruling on fights

ST413

On 4/29/2017 at 1:59 PM, team first said:

Yep just heard the same 

Hopefully you guys get the correct information! Yes it was a altercations when Silsbee was walking to the podium to receive their gold medals the kids where talking about football and who's going where but the one kid was upset and was a sore loser and took a swing at Jones when Jones had his back turned! Jones family is very upset with the altercation and is more upset that the Silsbee kids are being labeled as trouble makers. Willie Jones III comes from a great family and has always been a well  mannered young man, wanted to  retaliate and who wouldn't when someone takes a sucker punch when your back is turned but he took one for the team and let the appropriate people handle the unfortunate altercation!

3 hours ago, Bmt_4now said:

Hopefully you guys get the correct information! Yes it was a altercations when Silsbee was walking to the podium to receive their gold medals the kids where talking about football and who's going where but the one kid was upset and was a sore loser and took a swing at Jones when Jones had his back turned! Jones family is very upset with the altercation and is more upset that the Silsbee kids are being labeled as trouble makers. Willie Jones III comes from a great family and has always been a well  mannered young man, wanted to  retaliate and who wouldn't when someone takes a sucker punch when your back is turned but he took one for the team and let the appropriate people handle the unfortunate altercation!

That's weird... I was in the visitor's stands at Silsbee vs. WOS back earlier this this fall when somebody wearing a maroon "Jones's Mom" T-shirt was trying to fight the whole crowd from Silsbee.  That's not one of my usual made-up stories, it really happened. 

Like I said... it's amazing how some schools manage to get in fights, through no fault of their own, with every single team they face.  It's about coaching, parents, and discipline.... or lack thereof.  

We've had our share of problems in BC.... Players getting ejected for punching people, brawling with Orangefield at the last ever Bayou Bowl, etc...  I hope that the teams we face are noticing that there's been a not-so-subtle change in culture on the bayou.  It starts at the top.  

FWIW, I think the new Silsbee football coach has his team heading in the right direction as well.  He's taking a hard line against players that can't control themselves, and it will show up.  Now it's up to the rest of the ISD to get with the program.  

17 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

That's weird... I was in the visitor's stands at Silsbee vs. WOS back earlier this this fall when somebody wearing a maroon "Jones's Mom" T-shirt was trying to fight the whole crowd from Silsbee.  That's not one of my usual made-up stories, it really happened. 

Like I said... it's amazing how some schools manage to get in fights, through no fault of their own, with every single team they face.  It's about coaching, parents, and discipline.... or lack thereof.  

We've had our share of problems in BC.... Players getting ejected for punching people, brawling with Orangefield at the last ever Bayou Bowl, etc...  I hope that the teams we face are noticing that there's been a not-so-subtle change in culture on the bayou.  It starts at the top.  

FWIW, I think the new Silsbee football coach has his team heading in the right direction as well.  He's taking a hard line against players that can't control themselves, and it will show up.  Now it's up to the rest of the ISD to get with the program.  

Really That's why the football team had a fight and no one seems to talk about that it's only basketball and punches was thrown then 

19 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Same team that a player made racial comments I believe that's way bigger then fighting into today's society 

53 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

If you don't know what your talking about you need not comment about people parents, Mrs. Jones wasn't trying to fight anyone she was getting her kids from some grown up using profanity  toward them, now you're crossing the line because if Jones father was to read this I would think he would try and find out who you are and I know that for a fact! You just saw Jones and ran with it get your fact straight before you  mention  someone's name jack! Leave your number and I'll make sure he gets it.

4 hours ago, Bmt_4now said:

If you don't know what your talking about you need not comment about people parents, Mrs. Jones wasn't trying to fight anyone she was getting her kids from some grown up using profanity  toward them, now you're crossing the line because if Jones father was to read this I would think he would try and find out who you are and I know that for a fact! You just saw Jones and ran with it get your fact straight before you  mention  someone's name jack! Leave your number and I'll make sure he gets it.

Lol... I thought the kid was from a "great family" and "raised to be a well-mannered young man" but the daddy wants my number? 

You're not helping your cause. 

These kids embraced a thuggish lifestyle and manner of behavior, as evidenced by the self-gloss "Smoketown." The fact that Silsbee gets in scraps every sport a few times a year happens because people are so jealous, according to Tiger fans. And when WOS gets in scraps it's only because they're playing Silsbee..:. Despite the fact that WOS is collecting more SCs than Silsbee. 

The kids who thug out today are the children of Tigers that didn't know how to control themselves, either. 

I still believe that the new AD and administration are both trying hard to fix the obvious culture problem over there. It's going to be an uphill fight with all of the parents over there, though. It's hard to convince a kid that their behavior is bad when their own parents don't have a problem with all of the garbage that accompanies some pretty good play. 

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Lol... I thought the kid was from a "great family" and "raised to be a well-mannered young man" but the daddy wants my number? 

You're not helping your cause. 

These kids embraced a thuggish lifestyle and manner of behavior, as evidenced by the self-gloss "Smoketown." The fact that Silsbee gets in scraps every sport a few times a year happens because people are so jealous, according to Tiger fans. And when WOS gets in scraps it's only because they're playing Silsbee..:. Despite the fact that WOS is collecting more SCs than Silsbee. 

The kids who thug out today are the children of Tigers that didn't know how to control themselves, either. 

I still believe that the new AD and administration are both trying hard to fix the obvious culture problem over there. It's going to be an uphill fight with all of the parents over there, though. It's hard to convince a kid that their behavior is bad when their own parents don't have a problem with all of the garbage that accompanies some pretty good play. 

Lol, thanks and sorry tiger nation! Congrats on your state championship! Sorry cardinalbacker didn't mean to bring anybody in on this I shouldn't have mention anything about anybody wanting your #! These people can't defend themselves especially if they don't entertain it!

7 hours ago, HAWK85 said:

If you guys actually think Racial Comments are a WAY..BIGGER problem than fighting ....that in itself is an issue two wrongs don't make anything right ...

I think that belief is a lot more prevalent than you can imagine. It's why so many people don't have a problem with what happened to that kid from OF down at Crystal. 

One of if not the biggest problems in any of these incidents has nothing to do with the kids at all.  It's the "fans" or people making comments here or elsewhere that add fuel to the fire, not only by joining in whatever the 'conflict' is about but by defending or belittling the kids involved.  All we are doing is bringing more attention to whatever has gone on and creating more animosity on one side or the other.  One thing about it these altercations are not right no matter what side you are on.  

As a Tiger fan who is at more football and basketball games I have seen what goes on in many of these.  There is too much trash talk these days both during the games and especally before.  I have never had a problem with some good old " you can't stop me" talk but it seems more that goes on today gets personal.  Now none of that condones physical action but it does lead to it.  

I can say in the past incidents I have seen have been started by either side not all one way or the other.  Some of the problem at times is that there has tension beforehand and the officials may not know and allow the game to get a little physical and it explodes and others may just be purely a players action or reaction.  It isn't the correct thought either way that our kids are always right or always wrong. 

Now as far as this incident last weekend, the only thing I will say and this comes from within is that the whole incident was filmed.  The uil had reps at the event.  The tapes were reviewed and Silsbee was told they were just fine.

Back in 2011-2012 when Woodville and Warren had an altercation during the football game that ended in an ejection, then turned around and had an all out brawl during a baseball game at Hennigan Park, the UIL did not intervene at all on individual players punishment. If I'm not mistaken (which I could be), Woodville was placed on a type of probation after the baseball incident. This may have just been due to the swift decisions made by the administration in Woodville, but just sharing my experience, having been involved directly with both of those incidents that school year as a player.

On 5/3/2017 at 6:58 AM, ST413 said:

One of if not the biggest problems in any of these incidents has nothing to do with the kids at all.  It's the "fans" or people making comments here or elsewhere that add fuel to the fire, not only by joining in whatever the 'conflict' is about but by defending or belittling the kids involved.  All we are doing is bringing more attention to whatever has gone on and creating more animosity on one side or the other.  One thing about it these altercations are not right no matter what side you are on.  

As a Tiger fan who is at more football and basketball games I have seen what goes on in many of these.  There is too much trash talk these days both during the games and especally before.  I have never had a problem with some good old " you can't stop me" talk but it seems more that goes on today gets personal.  Now none of that condones physical action but it does lead to it.  

I can say in the past incidents I have seen have been started by either side not all one way or the other.  Some of the problem at times is that there has tension beforehand and the officials may not know and allow the game to get a little physical and it explodes and others may just be purely a players action or reaction.  It isn't the correct thought either way that our kids are always right or always wrong. 

Now as far as this incident last weekend, the only thing I will say and this comes from within is that the whole incident was filmed.  The uil had reps at the event.  The tapes were reviewed and Silsbee was told they were just fine.

Just because your team has the ability to beat a district opponent by 50 pts or more, there is not reason to harp on it.  That's childish and immature.  I saw that a few times this past season. I spoke on how it may cause problems  and it did. 

Just the same, I love this forum.  Folks get carried away sometimes but overall  it keeps me informed.  As many know I am a big time, long time Silsbee Tiger basketball fan.  I only read about the football team, but I very seldom see a game in person. Whereas I try to attend 5 or 6 Tiger basketball games a year, which is not easy to do living in Houston. 

Speaking of Houston, I have wondered to myself as to why don't they have or start a forum like this in Houston?  I quickly came to the conclusion that would not be a good idea.  Still, I am glad there is this forum.  Let's keep  things in perspective folks, and be mindful and respectful of others.

25 minutes ago, Kountzer said:

Just because your team has the ability to beat a district opponent by 50 pts or more, there is not reason to harp on it.  That's childish and immature.  I saw that a few times this past season. I spoke on how it may cause problems  and it did. 

Just the same, I love this forum.  Folks get carried away sometimes but overall  it keeps me informed.  As many know I am a big time, long time Silsbee Tiger basketball fan.  I only read about the football team, but I very seldom see a game in person. Whereas I try to attend 5 or 6 Tiger basketball games a year, which is not easy to do living in Houston. 

Speaking of Houston, I have wondered to myself as to why don't they have or start a forum like this in Houston?  I quickly came to the conclusion that would not be a good idea.  Still, I am glad there is this forum.  Let's keep  things in perspective folks, and be mindful and respectful of others.

This forum may play a part as far as the fans are concerned but it is not the big part.  This forum is moderated, although talking of big wins is like you are talking about is fair play.  The big parts are social media like twitter or Facebook,  where the talks can get heated and basically uncontrolled.

2 hours ago, ST413 said:

This forum may play a part as far as the fans are concerned but it is not the big part.  This forum is moderated, although talking of big wins is like you are talking about is fair play.  The big parts are social media like twitter or Facebook,  where the talks can get heated and basically uncontrolled.

I agree. A few years ago there wasn't any real contact between teams other than the occassional chance meeting. With social media the kids have bulletin boards upon which to talk trash for months before a game. 

Since it's obviously going on and probably not about to stop, it'll be up to coaches, parents, and the kids themselves to learn how to act and then react to things that are said on social media. If you think about it, most of the big problems we've seen in our area this year have been started and usually aggravated on social media. 

• 3 weeks later...

Any screw ups next season and all the hard work these kids are putting in right now will be for nothing. Coach Sigler needs to get that message drilled into everyone's heads. Even when these kids are provoked (and they will be) they have to to let it go. Let the coach step in and deal with things. They're gonna have a bigger target than ever on their backs next year. A social media black out would be nice.

This is really a local district issue. Next to no teams in the Tigers district are saints.

You hardly (if ever) hear any of the teams from the Houston, Dallas or non-local areas having an issue with Silsbee. They spend nearly their entire pre-district schedule playing those teams, and then mainly play them come playoff time. 

The Tigers definitely have to toe the line and not let themselves be provoked but I was very prod of the way they finished this season doing just that.  As far as these situations not happening with non local teams, there are many factors.  One being you usually don't face them in football, so there isn't and residual tension there.  Another being we don't usually face them 2 or more times a year like we do our district mates, so they don't have any residual feelings from a prior game or maybe even a prior year.   And the last one I will mention is the fact that even though  some of the kids know each other from summer circuits they don't have the relationships that some of these kids have with other kids locally so some have histories off court that may find their way on court.  the bottom line for the Tigers is none of this really matters now, what matters is that's we keep going like we finished last year.

On Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 2:54 PM, CardinalBacker said:

BC needs to stay off that Internet!!