UIl ruling on fights

ST413

I know during the incident during the season it was stated that the UIl does not rule on player suspensions from these situations.  I was told at the time of our situation that the UIl was looking into several such situations at the time.  I believe at that point the number of fights was laround a dozen.  I heard about this meeting a week ago and I am pretty sure the number of incidents that are going to review is 19. I know this article states that more punishments could handed down.  I am not really expecting that but wandering if this would be just at the team level or now at the individual level.  Here's the article from the enterprise:

This is the hidden content, please

I'm not entirely familiar with the punishments dealt out by LCM, but I thought that Silsbee handled their end of the deal very well.  they suspended their star player for the remainder of the season, which amounted to 9 games, and he also missed out on a state championship run.  I can't imagine UIL adding much to that, as it was a fair punishment.

I think this is more of a looking into all the situations statewide since there was supposed to 19 bench clearing fights in basketball alone this season.  I wouldn't expect more penalties really in our instance as like was said it was handled pretty swiftly and severely at least for one participant.  Now I have no idea what actions were taken for the others.  I know when I first heard of the dozen or so I could find stories on about 5 of them.  

I didn't know anything was amiss with the Silsbee b-ball team, or the overall sports program that needs cleaning up, other than the fight.   The last few years I manage to watch  4 or 5 games per season & I don't live in town.  I haven't actually watched a football game in years. I did see a Silsbee high school baseball playoff game held at UH field.  This was 3 years ago.  So I am not privy to the subtle nuances of what actually goes on.

On 4/19/2017 at 6:45 PM, AggiesAreWe said:

Expected

Program needs to clean their act up.

I agree.  Just play the games/sports and be young adults.

I for one am sick of the constant conversation about our community and their sports environment.  We have a lot of fine young athletes that deserve proper recognition for their accomplishments. 

It's prevalent, even in these forums, that some Silsbee fans/players have to overcome the impulse to always respond to every comment or action.

Hopefully some changes are being made at the junior high school sports level.

As well as us Parents.

18 hours ago, Silsbee92 said:

I agree.  Just play the games/sports and be young adults.

I for one am sick of the constant conversation about our community and their sports environment.  We have a lot of fine young athletes that deserve proper recognition for their accomplishments. 

It's prevalent, even in these forums, that some Silsbee fans/players have to overcome the impulse to always respond to every comment or action.

Hopefully some changes are being made at the junior high school sports level.

As well as us Parents.

Well, these kids do just try to go and play the games, however, the social media thing swings both ways (between teams)....heck, even our President can't seem to stay off of twitter. As far as the community goes, there will always be a few who will sully things up for everybody else in the community no matter what community we point out. but when the statement is made that a 2 year probation was expected because "the program", not plural, needs to clean up its act, then that statement is directed at leadership, ie: the coaching staff. So the question remains, what exactly needs to be cleaned up?  

50 minutes ago, Ghost Writer said:

Well, these kids do just try to go and play the games, however, the social media thing swings both ways (between teams)....heck, even our President can't seem to stay off of twitter. As far as the community goes, there will always be a few who will sully things up for everybody else in the community no matter what community we point out. but when the statement is made that a 2 year probation was expected because "the program", not plural, needs to clean up its act, then that statement is directed at leadership, ie: the coaching staff. So the question remains, what exactly needs to be cleaned up?  

Let me rephrase my comment. Some of those kids in the "program" need to clean their act up. Been going on way too long and something needs to be done about it.

When the team gets in confrontations with more than just one other team, then the team needs to take a long hard look at themselves. Of late, Silsbee has been the common denominator in several of these instances.

As a long time Silsbee Tiger, I have been very embarrassed of late of some of the actions of our athletes.

Clean up your act! Silsbee is talented enough to win without all that extracurricular.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Let me rephrase my comment. Some of those kids in the "program" need to clean their act up. Been going on way too long and something needs to be done about it.

When the team gets in confrontations with more than just one other team, then the team needs to take a long hard look at themselves. Of late, Silsbee has been the common denominator in several of these instances.

As a long time Silsbee Tiger, I have been very embarrassed of late of some of the actions of our athletes.

Clean up your act! Silsbee is talented enough to win without all that extracurricular.

Why can't all silsbee fans see this?

Those kids need to go out and let their talent talk, not their mouths/fists!

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

First of all, just because you choose to ignore or non comment about the other teams' kids actions in all this doesn't mean they don't have kids just like Silsbee's talking and taking cheap shots during games. ( all you have to do is get some film of these games and see for yourself) It doesn't seem to be too difficult to do so. Secondly, I think most of us were embarrassed by "the fight" and the kid that deserved to be punished the most was and has paid his debt so that is not the issue here. The issue here is just because Silsbee seems to be the common denominator in these incidents does not mean they have not taken a long hard look at themselves. Contrary to what has been published, Silsbee has long had a Technical foul punishment in place in their program and it has been used over the course of the last 6 years or so. These confrontations you speak of, outside of the Jasper incident, have all taken place within the district, most notably with the Orange county schools. Silsbee never has these issues when they play anywhere else (Houston, Dallas, Sherman, San Antonio, Beaumont, La Marque, Cleveland, etc). So maybe, just maybe, the problem is something else.....I don't know, like some people don't like their style of play (in your face defense) or maybe point spreads, heck I don't know. What I do Know is you are right, Silsbee is very talented, but that doesn't mean that they ought to just allow themselves to become a whipping board for everybody that chooses to use tactics that are not part of the game. I too am a long time Silsbee Tiger. If you would like to discuss this further I would welcome the conversation in person.  

7 minutes ago, Ghost Writer said:

First of all, just because you choose to ignore or non comment about the other teams' kids actions in all this doesn't mean they don't have kids just like Silsbee's talking and taking cheap shots during games. ( all you have to do is get some film of these games and see for yourself) It doesn't seem to be too difficult to do so. Secondly, I think most of us were embarrassed by "the fight" and the kid that deserved to be punished the most was and has paid his debt so that is not the issue here. The issue here is just because Silsbee seems to be the common denominator in these incidents does not mean they have not taken a long hard look at themselves. Contrary to what has been published, Silsbee has long had a Technical foul punishment in place in their program and it has been used over the course of the last 6 years or so. These confrontations you speak of, outside of the Jasper incident, have all taken place within the district, most notably with the Orange county schools. Silsbee never has these issues when they play anywhere else (Houston, Dallas, Sherman, San Antonio, Beaumont, La Marque, Cleveland, etc). So maybe, just maybe, the problem is something else.....I don't know, like some people don't like their style of play (in your face defense) or maybe point spreads, heck I don't know. What I do Know is you are right, Silsbee is very talented, but that doesn't mean that they ought to just allow themselves to become a whipping board for everybody that chooses to use tactics that are not part of the game. I too am a long time Silsbee Tiger. If you would like to discuss this further I would welcome the conversation in person.  

I don't know if you know this, but you are talking to a man that has probably seen more Silsbee games than anybody here.  He probably doesn't need game film.  If anyone is a good authority on Silsbee athletics, it is AAW.

3 hours ago, Ghost Writer said:

You kind find him at just about any Tiger football, baseball or basketball game if you wish to talk to him....he broadcasts each and every Tiger district game and has done so for the past 7-8 years.

So each and every incident that you complain has been instigated by "another" team, he was witnessed from court side!

What? He deserves this lecture from you simply because he won't blindly take the side of his alma mater?  Does that mean he doesn't support it?  My friend, what you have described is not support.  Support is able to look at a situation, even in the best of times, to attempt to make things even better.

And for that he gets this scorn, gets treated like some bumpkin who has never been to Silsbee High and invited by another numbskull on this thread not to attend any more games.  Y'all are pitiful and don't deserve the effort he puts in for Silsbee High.  Yet, even though you don't deserve his services, he will be there for the rest of this season and all of next year with enthusiasm in his voice for his beloved Tigers.

I am going to say this and then leave this subject alone.  For at least the last 8 years, since I haven't worked evenings like I did before, you won't find many that have seen near as many Tiger football or basketball games as I have seen.  While I was still working many nights I was still at as many as I could be.  I am more in the middle on this.  I can remember one of our football players a few years ago that got a personal foul in several football games for acts such as hitting a player in the helmet, and I am talking like a punch.  I can remember yelling from the stands for him to be sat down.  I can say I was dissappointed that it never happened.  Maybe something was done that I didn't see but it didn't seem like it because it happened in several games.

as far as the basketball team goes, I know we have had some players that were viewed as too arrogant by some or too mouthy, etc.  I know we had one player that I noticed take a couple cheap shots himself in a playoff game several years ago. However with the exception of Jasper and LCM,  I have thought that overall the last couple years have been a lot better overall.  Now I know there were a couple other situations this year that were brought up but I didn't see them.  I can't blame coaches or players for the situation last year in Jasper.  I know words were exchanged and a fight ensued.  I can't blame any of those kids for defending themselves or their teammates in that situation.  This years event at LCM was a little different.  The beginning of the altercation, on the court, was one of those things that happens from time to time in a game.  Now the part that has me with somewhat mixed feelings is the teamsleaving the bench.  Kind of hard to really blame Coaches for that when they were trying to break up the ones on the court, sure maybe a plan for someone to stay with players on the bench could be there but in that moment you are going to react and try to stop what's going on.  I am not going to go into a blame for the one event because like was said that player paid his price and it's over.  It's hard to blame those other kids on the bench for going to defend their teammates once they saw a crowd going out there. But that it what they are supposed to do.  Now even in them leaving the bench, I only noticed the one player who was punished  go out their and really do anything. 

The issues that most don't  know are the relationships of these kids locally among each other online or knowing each other from summer leagues or whatever outside of these games.  Some already have bad blood between them for whatever reason. You won't see that near as much when you play those teams out of our area.  

As far as basketball goes year in and year out we are one of the best teams in the area.  These teams get tired of getting beat, get tired of our style of play, the kids go back and forth online, already have problems etc,...all leading to friction.  

Now the issue is how you handle that like was said you can only be pushed so far, my issue with that is that on the court you are in a "controlled" environment.  Sure something can happen and you react.  I was proud of the way my Tigers reacted after the LCM event this year.  Whenever their was a tense moment of the court, I saw the player walk away. I also saw teammates come to each other and help ease the tension.  That's the way we are going to have to do things now for sure.  We don't have room for error now.  I don't know what the penalty is for a probation violation but I know we don't want to find out.  

Well  said ST413.  You expressed  basically how I feel about all this.  

Changing slightly, pressing  and trapping  is as old  as the peach basketball.  Silsbee plays that style, and again it is not new,  about as aggressively as anyone else.  It is an up  tempo style of play.   Nothing personal, just basketball.

15 hours ago, BS Wildcats said:

I don't know if you know this, but you are talking to a man that has probably seen more Silsbee games than anybody here.  He probably doesn't need game film.  If anyone is a good authority on Silsbee athletics, it is AAW.

Trust me when I tell you that I KNOW just as much or more, and even coaches need game film....I also know exactly who he is sir.