TIM FINN NAMED NEW HEAD COACH AT BAYTOWN LEE

1 hour ago, joebob said:

Thats where Dick Olin had a point....Riley has a vested interest in the community and knows the Baytown traditions.....lets face it you can hire vince lombardi to coach the ganders in todays world and its not going to matter....Atleast hire someone that was there when they were successful, that knows the culture that did work, and has a vested interest in district/community...and I say that not knowing Riley from a hole in the ground. but I know everyone that I know speaks highly of him.

The original GCM football coach was ok...he didnt try to leave after his 3 years like aduddell did, he was pushed out by the bad AD...Im not just talking football in terms of bad hires, Im talking across the board in all sports there has been some very bad hires. The AD thinks he is the smartest guy in the room and the people in Baytown are just a bunch of uneducated rednecks. 

There it is ^.  And to be honest the last time the school had a coach there that was successful the conditions were a lot different.  Like I said earlier...what talent there is is spread between 3 pretty big high schools.  That isn't good.  Plus factor in that at the drop of a hat a parent could take their kid right down 10 to BH where they're relatively competitive, have fantastic facilities, and is top tier academically.  

Baytown is in a bind when it comes to athletics.  Plain and simple.  I don't see anything changing anytime soon.

4 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

There it is ^.  And to be honest the last time the school had a coach there that was successful the conditions were a lot different.  Like I said earlier...what talent there is is spread between 3 pretty big high schools.  That isn't good.  Plus factor in that at the drop of a hat a parent could take their kid right down 10 to BH where they're relatively competitive, have fantastic facilities, and is top tier academically.  

Baytown is in a bind when it comes to athletics.  Plain and simple.  I don't see anything changing anytime soon.

I would argue that not too many current athletes in GCCISD are going to make the move East to BH. 

12 hours ago, Bandwagon Ranger said:

I would argue that not too many current athletes in GCCISD are going to make the move East to BH. 

Maybe not currently.  But I can promise you that BH has that appeal.  And if not many current athletes then how many move-ins or work transfer parents chose BH instead of GCM before even enrolling?  And how many times will it happen in the future?

BH girl's basketball has a player that grew up in Crosby that's now in BH.  Only reason I know that is because she is like 6'5 or something crazy and committed to UConn.  Why didn't she end up in a Baytown school?  I think we both know why.  And I think that exact reason is why GCCISD will not get any athletes of that caliber (boys or girls) or could possibly lose any great athletes they currently have.  And why they will continue to be the type of school where coaches go to benefit their retirement.  You guys desperately need for Sterling and/or GCM to be 5A.

9 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Maybe not currently.  But I can promise you that BH has that appeal.  And if not many current athletes then how many move-ins or work transfer parents chose BH instead of GCM before even enrolling?  And how many times will it happen in the future?

BH girl's basketball has a player that grew up in Crosby that's now in BH.  Only reason I know that is because she is like 6'5 or something crazy and committed to UConn.  Why didn't she end up in a Baytown school?  I think we both know why.  And I think that exact reason is why GCCISD will not get any athletes of that caliber (boys or girls) or could possibly lose any great athletes they currently have.  And why they will continue to be the type of school where coaches go to benefit their retirement.  You guys desperately need for Sterling and/or GCM to be 5A.

You're right, BH does have a lot of appeal for their athletic programs now. But that hasn't always been the case. What happens if the new football coach isn't  as successful as expected?  Things can change quickly. You also have to consider that Baytown is still growing alot in the Goose Creek Memorial zone, ExxonMobil and Chevron are expanding and hiring, and the cost of housing in Baytown is cheaper than Mont Belvieu. I think the Baytown schools can be competitive again. But until then I think they need to rezone so that GCM drops back to 5A and Lee sees some growth. But only if we can play in a local district and not have to drive to the Golden Triangle every week.

18 hours ago, Bandwagon Ranger said:

Already lost a girl who will be pretty good at Basketball to BH. They moved out there a couple weeks ago. Lost a kid in my sons grade as well. Freshman class. Time will tell if he will be any good out there or not but they are going.