Schedule changes for 2017 season.

WOSgrad

It appears that in a change from mid alignment seasons past, there will be a few adjustments in the schedules of area teams.  Of course, a few have already been discussed in other threads, but in preparation of getting the schedules up in the fall, I ask that anyone who knows of schedule changes for the 2017 to post them here.

This is strictly to be an informational thread.  Please no commentary.

Here are the ones that I know of:

Baytown Sterling - replaces Baytown Lee with Port Neches-Groves in Week 2

Goose Creek Memorial - replaces Port Neches-Groves with Baytown Lee in Week 2

Baytown Lee - replaces Baytown Sterling with Goose Creek Memorial in Week 2

Port Neches-Groves - replaces Goose Creek Memorial with Baytown Sterling in Week 2

Bridge City - replaces open date in Week 5 with Jasper

Jasper - replaces open date with Alvin Shadow Creek in Week 2

replaces Alexandria University with Bridge City in Week 5

replaces Slaughter Charter with open date in Week 8

Hardin-Jefferson - replaces Hardin with TBA in Week 5

Warren - replaces Hardin with Hull-Daisetta in Week 4

Hardin - replaces Centerville with Warren in Week 4

replaces Hardin-Jefferson with Pines Academy in Week 5

Centerville - replaces Hardin with TBA in Week 4

Colmesneil - replaces Price Carlisle with TBA in Week 2

replaces Grapeland with TBA in Week 4

replaces Overton with TBA in Week 5

Hull-Daisetta - replaces Warren with TBA in Week 4

16 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Colmesneil It appears that in a change from mid alignment seasons past, there will be a few adjustments in the schedules of area teams.  Of course, a few have already been discussed in other threads, but in preparation of getting the schedules up in the fall, I ask that anyone who knows of schedule changes for the 2017 to post them here.

This is strictly to be an informational thread.  Please no commentary.

Here are the ones that I know of:

Baytown Sterling - replaces Baytown Lee with Port Neches-Groves in Week 2

Goose Creek Memorial - replaces Port Neches-Groves with Baytown Lee in Week 2

Baytown Lee - replaces Baytown Sterling with Goose Creek Memorial in Week 2

Port Neches-Groves - replaces Goose Creek Memorial with Baytown Sterling in Week 2

Bridge City - replaces open date in Week 5 with Jasper

Jasper - replaces open date with Alvin Shadow Creek in Week 2

replaces Alexandria University with Bridge City in Week 5

replaces Slaughter Charter with open date in Week 8

Hardin-Jefferson - replaces Hardin with TBA in Week 5

Warren - replaces Hardin with Hull-Daisetta in Week 4

Hardin - replaces Centerville with Warren in Week 4

replaces Hardin-Jefferson with Pines Academy in Week 5

Centerville - replaces Hardin with TBA in Week 4

Colmesneil - replaces Price Carlisle with TBA in Week 2

replaces Grapeland with TBA in Week 4

replaces Overton with TBA in Week 5

Hull-Daisetta - replaces Warren with TBA in Week 4

Colmesneil at Malakoff Cross Roads Week 2

Colmesneil at KIPP Houston Week 4

Colmesneil Open Week 5

Colmesneil Home vs Cushing Week 6

Hull Daisetta Open Week 4

Hull Daisetta at Westbury Christian Week 6

Hardin Jefferson at La Marque Week 5

Hardin-Jefferson Open Week 7

1 hour ago, txprepfan said:

Colmesneil at Malakoff Cross Roads Week 2

Colmesneil at KIPP Houston Week 4

Colmesneil Open Week 5

Colmesneil Home vs Cushing Week 6

Hull Daisetta Open Week 4

Hull Daisetta at Westbury Christian Week 6

Hardin Jefferson at La Marque Week 5

Hardin-Jefferson Open Week 7

I had also heard that Colmesneil had picked up Sugar Land Logos Prep in Week 1.  Is that on their schedule as well?

There are four teams that Jasper should find a way to get on the schedule every single year: WOS, Newton, Kirbyville and Silsbee. I like that they added BC and this is no slight to the Cardinals because that one could go either way. I just think it's better for our school and our fans to avoid playing these random schools that are essentially guaranteed wins. 

On 4/15/2017 at 6:01 PM, Bulldogs92 said:

There are four teams that Jasper should find a way to get on the schedule every single year: WOS, Newton, Kirbyville and Silsbee. I like that they added BC and this is no slight to the Cardinals because that one could go either way. I just think it's better for our school and our fans to avoid playing these random schools that are essentially guaranteed wins. 

Unfortunately...most head coaches do not care about fans wanting to play good games...or rival games...or locationally convenient games.  Which is in some ways ironic, because... it because of the fans that coaches feel so much pressure to be successful.  Which is the reason they try to schedule games that they will probably win.  Because if a coach goes 8-2 they will most likely... A: get to keep their job. B: Have a greater likelihood of getting a better job (higher paying)

On the other hand, if a coach goes 4-6 they will likely be nonrenewed or ridiculed or both.  All that matters is what their resume looks like in the win/loss column.  Nobody cares that "but we played really good teams that were really close to the school and easy for the parents to get off work and make it to and are rival games".  Again..because of you same fans.

13 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Unfortunately...most head coaches do not care about fans wanting to play good games...or rival games...or locationally convenient games.  Which is in some ways ironic, because... it because of the fans that coaches feel so much pressure to be successful.  Which is the reason they try to schedule games that they will probably win.  Because if a coach goes 8-2 they will most likely... A: get to keep their job. B: Have a greater likelihood of getting a better job (higher paying)

On the other hand, if a coach goes 4-6 they will likely be nonrenewed or ridiculed or both.  All that matters is what their resume looks like in the win/loss column.  Nobody cares that "but we played really good teams that were really close to the school and easy for the parents to get off work and make it to and are rival games".  Again..because of you same fans.

I get what you're saying, but when I was in Jasper as a kid, we had a long-running tendency to schedule up and the Bulldogs probably won 70% of those games for a 15-20 year period. If a coach is scheduling easy games to enhance job security, maybe he isn't the right coach. 

13 hours ago, Bulldogs92 said:

I get what you're saying, but when I was in Jasper as a kid, we had a long-running tendency to schedule up and the Bulldogs probably won 70% of those games for a 15-20 year period. If a coach is scheduling easy games to enhance job security, maybe he isn't the right coach. 

Heaven forbid a coach make decisions based on what may be best for his family or career.

On 4/18/2017 at 11:26 PM, Bulldogs92 said:

I agree totally.  It is just about this simple as I heard a coach say one time.  Play rinky dinks, and you will become rinky dink.  I apologize in advance if this statement offends any rinky dinks.  And I think that coach won about 80 percent of his games over that 20 year period rather than 70 percent.

On 4/21/2017 at 7:31 PM, j_dog said:

I agree totally.  It is just about this simple as I heard a coach say one time.  Play rinky dinks, and you will become rinky dink.  I apologize in advance if this statement offends any rinky dinks.  And I think that coach won about 80 percent of his games over that 20 year period rather than 70 percent.

I just want Jasper to get back to being one of the top programs in the area. I know you do too...

On 4/21/2017 at 8:31 PM, j_dog said:

Unfortunately, times have changed.  While that may still ring true, a coach has to balance opponents that will prepare the team AND opponensts that can be beaten.  During the time when what that coach told you was the "norm" there weren't parents running to the school board and crying and whining about every little thing.  Like losing..

I personally think that the schedule doesn't make just a huge difference in preparation.  Playing tough, close, hard nosed games is also a way to get your starters hurt or worn out.  And a way that your subs will get zero game experience.  Not to mention...if a coach spends 2 months telling a group of kids that his way is how you win...and then they lose several close games.  That's a way to lose your players' confidence in you.

There's good and bad with both strategies.