AAU in the Houston area?

My 2 cents? Find a coach who cares about the kids and works with the kids on and off the court. Do not fall for the hype of the "big name" organizations. Most of the coaches out here want to use your son/daughter for wins and throw them away after their career is over if they are not successful!  It is really getting ridiculous these days. It is all about hype and a status instead of kids getting better and staying loyal. IF A PLAYER IS GOOD ENOUGH, THEY WILL FIND YOU. No matter what team you are on, no matter what shoes you have on, no matter where you are from. Colleges will always talk to the high school coaches anyways....

4 hours ago, bradyb said:

My 2 cents? Find a coach who cares about the kids and works with the kids on and off the court. Do not fall for the hype of the "big name" organizations. Most of the coaches out here want to use your son/daughter for wins and throw them away after their career is over if they are not successful!  It is really getting ridiculous these days. It is all about hype and a status instead of kids getting better and staying loyal. IF A PLAYER IS GOOD ENOUGH, THEY WILL FIND YOU. No matter what team you are on, no matter what shoes you have on, no matter where you are from. Colleges will always talk to the high school coaches anyways....

You have some good points but a lot of times the colleges see you on the big circuit that's how they know what school you go to. Then they follow you so my personal opinion being on the NIKE, Adidas, UnderArmour circuit does have plus. Beats going to lil no name tournaments in Houston all the time. I think smaller AAU organizations just need to realize sometimes a player out grows there organization and shouldn't be bitter about it when a kid leaves by the way the kid doesn't make the decision the parents do. And as a parent my loyalty would be to my kid not the AAU coach or organization that's butt hurt about a parent moving his kid and this is not a knock on you SIR it's just my personal opinion

On 4/4/2017 at 2:40 PM, kingjames said:

You have some good points but a lot of times the colleges see you on the big circuit that's how they know what school you go to. Then they follow you so my personal opinion being on the NIKE, Adidas, UnderArmour circuit does have plus. Beats going to lil no name tournaments in Houston all the time. I think smaller AAU organizations just need to realize sometimes a player out grows there organization and shouldn't be bitter about it when a kid leaves by the way the kid doesn't make the decision the parents do. And as a parent my loyalty would be to my kid not the AAU coach or organization that's butt hurt about a parent moving his kid and this is not a knock on you SIR it's just my personal opinion

Negatives and positives to both sides. And I would never take any of this personal. I have no idea who you are! A parent should always do what they feel is best for their kid. Me personally, I wouldn't be butt hurt over a kid leaving my organization. Especially if it is a better look for the kid. I have had plenty of my kids leave my team to go play for thugs and poor role models. That is what makes me sick. I know of a couple coaches that do drugs in front of the kids they coach and do a lot of things they really shouldn't in front of them. Bottom line is most parents will do what they feel is right for their kid. I just hate seeing it happen when the decision is made that is not the right one. 

I know most of the shoe sponsored team and some of their coaches pretty well.. They do exstensive background check on their coaches. Most of them are High School coaches ,coaching so that eliminates half the problem. I think what BradyB is referring to is kids leaving a mid level organization to go play for another mid level organization who pretty much has the same resume as most mid level teams. At the end of the day there are good and bad ones. My opinion is whether or not they are good or bad they still take time out to be around other ppls kids. Now yes some of these coaches need to clean it up because let's face it 75% of the kids playing are black and we need role models not enablers for our youth jmo.. but to each there won..emphasis shouldn't be solely on Basketball but EDUCATION..the ball has to stop bouncing one day then what are you going to do... it's plenty of dudes in the rec Monday thru Friday still living hoop dreams it's sad. 

16 hours ago, BlkMamba24 said:

I know most of the shoe sponsored team and some of their coaches pretty well.. They do exstensive background check on their coaches. Most of them are High School coaches ,coaching so that eliminates half the problem. I think what BradyB is referring to is kids leaving a mid level organization to go play for another mid level organization who pretty much has the same resume as most mid level teams. At the end of the day there are good and bad ones. My opinion is whether or not they are good or bad they still take time out to be around other ppls kids. Now yes some of these coaches need to clean it up because let's face it 75% of the kids playing are black and we need role models not enablers for our youth jmo.. but to each there won..emphasis shouldn't be solely on Basketball but EDUCATION..the ball has to stop bouncing one day then what are you going to do... it's plenty of dudes in the rec Monday thru Friday still living hoop dreams it's sad. 

Let me make sure other people understand this.... I have respect for any person that takes time out of their life and coaches the youth.... And bro, you are right about MOST of the shoe sponsored teams... but not all. Coaching talented kids is not hard. Anyone can get a bunch of all stars and go compete with other teams. What are you going to do when you meet a team with even talent or better talent? I see it ALL the time. One team runs plays, the other don't...One team knows how to defend the pick n roll, the other don't. One team boxes out, the other don't...The list is forever long. Show me that you are teaching fundamentals and the actual game of basketball... Then I will be impressed. I am guilty of this myself... I started coaching select ball around 19-20 years old and was always focused on getting the best of the best instead of developing the dedicated kids that would do anything for me or my organization. It is a learning curve and I have met some amazing people doing it and it has helped me learn and develop into a decent young coach.