Kirbyville open Neece turns in resignation

rykerx144

46 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Just know that my parents and family are from Kirbyville and that I was text about a staff member wanting to come to coach in BISD, preferably at Central or Ozen.  It's BS if he knew he was leaving way after the holidays and just told his staff last week.  I didn't want to ask him at the time why he wanted to leave a place he played at but now it all makes since...

Most coaches wait until they actually have a job (on paper) before they announce to ANYONE that they are leaving.  Would you announce to the world that you were leaving your current job before you had another one?

2 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Most coaches wait until they actually have a job (on paper) before they announce to ANYONE that they are leaving.  Would you announce to the world that you were leaving your current job before you had another one?

Well if you read, the other poster said that Neece knew since the holidays he was leaving to go to Newton...

18 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Well if you read, the other poster said that Neece knew since the holidays he was leaving to go to Newton...

I read that.  But there is a difference between thinking a job would come open and a job actually being open.  If the Newton AD speculated that a job would open he could've approached Neece about it, but I'm willing to bet that there wasn't actually a job opening to be filled around the holidays.  If Neece new for a fact that he had a job (offered, approved by the board, accepted, signed a contract) then he would've in fact BEEN at Newton after the holidays.  I don't think educators can legally be under more than one contract at the same time.  Which means he didn't know for a fact until now.  Hence the reason that maybe he didn't tell anyone until his name was actually signed on a contract or intent to hire at Newton.

My first wife was a teacher and I have enough friends and family in it to know how it works.  Trust me...they don't resign (most of the time) until their name is on a contract somewhere else.

As much as it might have all of us scratching our heads, to the person that really counts, Greg Neece, it makes perfect sense.  One of the perks of doing the football previews is the chance to interact with the coaches about their programs.  I can assure all of you that there are few coaches who professed as much pride in their program as Coach Neece.  But something changed.....we don't know what and as much as some think they have the timetable down, we don't know when.  Chances are good that we will never know.  But that change inside of Greg Neece brought him to realize that he could no longer give his all as the athletic director of Kirbyville ISD and as head coach of the Kirbyville High School football team.  Coming to that realization, he did the most compassionate thing that he could have done for the kids of the program....he stepped aside. 

Of course, the move to a quarterback coach position at another school is quite curious. However, let's look at a couple of things. 

Now what I am about to say is not is not intended to be a slight of the Kirbyville football program, or athletic program for that matter.  It is an excellent program with a very enthusiastic fan base (I am probably going to get a reminder of how enthusiastic pretty soon).  However, if you would canvass coaches outside of this area to take a look at the Kirbyville program and the Newton program, I wager that many more than we think would not view it as a backward move to leave the head coaching position at Kirbyville, an excellent program known well here in the area, to take an assistant's position at Newton, an excellent program that has some state wide prestige.

Even for those that do view it as a "backward" step, we can't assume that every coach will follow the same pattern of ambition.  What prompted Bob Westerberg last spring to leave Allen where he has reached what many would consider the pinnacle of coaching in Texas, multiple 6A Division I State Championships, for Barbers Hill, whose last state championship appearance was just over 40 years ago?  What prompted Larry Neumann, who told the Port Arthur News in September that loved coaching and that he had no intention of retiring, to, without a public word, file retirement papers with the Nederland ISD at the end of the year?  We think that we may have the windows into these coaches' hearts and souls, but we don't.

Coach Neece, while we will always wonder as to your reasons why, good luck in your new position in Newton.

20 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I read that.  But there is a difference between thinking a job would come open and a job actually being open.  If the Newton AD speculated that a job would open he could've approached Neece about it, but I'm willing to bet that there wasn't actually a job opening to be filled around the holidays.  If Neece new for a fact that he had a job (offered, approved by the board, accepted, signed a contract) then he would've in fact BEEN at Newton after the holidays.  I don't think educators can legally be under more than one contract at the same time.  Which means he didn't know for a fact until now.  Hence the reason that maybe he didn't tell anyone until his name was actually signed on a contract or intent to hire at Newton.

My first wife was a teacher and I have enough friends and family in it to know how it works.  Trust me...they don't resign (most of the time) until their name is on a contract somewhere else.

I guess you are the only person on the board that has family and friends that work in the school system...ok.

Well said WOSgrad!  In my time dealing with Neece on the broadcast side of things be it as the OC or HC he's been all in as an AD for Kville.  Always supporting every sport boys or girls.  Something that I've seen other AD's not do.  Though it does seems odd I wish him nothing but the best.  

15 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

I guess you are the only person on the board that has family and friends that work in the school system...ok.

I didn't say that...did I?  Nor did I imply it.  But I do have enough that work in the school system to know that even if he had it on good authority that there would be a job available to him around the holidays...it doesn't get announced until there is actually a piece of paper with a name signed to it.  Plain and simple..if he hadn't signed a letter of intent to hire or a contract then he didn't know for a fact he had a job.

Are you saying that he should've had enough confidence in "someone's word" that he had another job lined up?  Enough confidence to put his family at risk (potentially) by not being employed?  Because I can assure you that had he announced in December that he was leaving for Newton then Kirbyville would not have renewed his contract.  Then a chance is taken on not having a job...You did say "It's BS if he knew he was leaving way after the holidays and just told his staff last week".  Did you not?

Ask your family and friends that work in the school system if that would have been the best thing to do.

6 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I didn't say that...did I?  Nor did I imply it.  But I do have enough that work in the school system to know that even if he had it on good authority that there would be a job available to him around the holidays...it doesn't get announced until there is actually a piece of paper with a name signed to it.  Plain and simple..if he hadn't signed a letter of intent to hire or a contract then he didn't know for a fact he had a job.

Are you saying that he should've had enough confidence in "someone's word" that he had another job lined up?  Enough confidence to put his family at risk (potentially) by not being employed?  Because I can assure you that had he announced in December that he was leaving for Newton then Kirbyville would not have renewed his contract.  Then a chance is taken on not having a job...You did say "It's BS if he knew he was leaving way after the holidays and just told his staff last week".  Did you not?

Ask your family and friends that work in the school system if that would have been the best thing to do.

Nobody in their right mind submits a letter of resignation, or tells their peers, or informs their boss that they are leaving until the have signed a contract or received a letter of intent.

18 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Nobody in their right mind submits a letter of resignation, or tells their peers, or informs their boss that they are leaving until the have signed a contract or received a letter of intent.

Well, I was thinking that...  Just making sure I didn't miss something.

Nice post Grad and  very accurate.  New Sup, alot of people moving around.  Alot of uncertainty in the air at Kville.  Talent pool the next several years looks shallow.  I love my Cats but I do not blame Coach Neece.  From the outside i can see why the move seems odd but from my view (even if its QB coach) it might be a relief.  From what i know of Coach Neece his passion is coaching. im sure he misses the coaching part and stepped away from admin and headed back to what he loves.  

Coach Neece thank you for your 12 years of dedication to Kville and wish you all the best!

31 minutes ago, rykerx144 said:

Nice post Grad and  very accurate.  New Sup, alot of people moving around.  Alot of uncertainty in the air at Kville.  Talent pool the next several years looks shallow.  I love my Cats but I do not blame Coach Neece.  From the outside i can see why the move seems odd but from my view (even if its QB coach) it might be a relief.  From what i know of Coach Neece his passion is coaching. im sure he misses the coaching part and stepped away from admin and headed back to what he loves.  

Coach Neece thank you for your 12 years of dedication to Kville and wish you all the best!

You don't leave because you speculate your talent pool is shallow. How would he know anyways he never once helped or came to any Jr high practices or games. That's where it all starts right there. And as far as a shallow talent pool sounds to me like you need to watch some film or attend some Jr high games yourself.  The only thing shallow is you assuming that. 

You don't reisgn a coaching job (or even tell anyone you are thinking about it) until the one you are going to can at least give you an intent to hire letter. If he knew in December that there might be a job open in Newton for next year, there most likely was not an actual position open yet. Just speculation or knowledge that a coach wasn't returning, retiring, getting let go, etc. 

As someone else said, if there had been an actual position, he would have resigned so he could be there for the spring semester for off season, etc. 

10 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Coaches not AD/HC he put them in a pickle waiting this long. 

11 hours ago, Makemineaconvertible said:

Coaches not AD/HC he put them in a pickle waiting this long. 

So administrators aren't allowed to wait to resign from a job after they have another job secured?  There's one thing I can assure you...when it comes to finance and job security, they are looking out for numero uno.  As they should.  And I would too.

And FYI head coaches leave in March, April, May, and later all of the time.

1 hour ago, dillonpanthers said:

No, because if it hadn't of worked out at Newton he most likely would be staying at Kirbyville. So what if he had resigned in December, a job didn't come open in Newton and now he has no job...

I see your point, as a Wildcat fan and supporter I can say this I'm glad to see him leave. We need someone to come in and light a fire under these kids. The off-season and work out program has been a joke since Barbay left for Coldspring.  

As pointed out numerous times, the move looks odd.  It's possible he's having problems with the Supt, or School Board.  Recent news out of Jasper comes to mind.  The stuff that goes on out of the public eye would probably make all of us roll our eyes.  When the recent kneeling during the Anthem started, I read were a HC said all his kids would stand - Supt overruled him.  I'm sure most of you could consider some pressures put on coaches that shouldn't be.  And know, all this is just a possible reason.  I haven't a clue what his real reasons are.

But whatever his reasons, like most, I wish him nothing but the best.

Two Newton football coaches are retiring this year , Oline coach Lidney Thompson and outside linebacker coach Robbie Hatton .

Coach Hazelwood (Kirbyville Supt) is retiring or leaving ,not sure . Which means there will probably be a shake up with new Supt .

Newton will I'll be a State contender again in 17, with 3 of the top returning sophomores in the state. 

• 2 months later...