West Sabine head coach steps down

dBerrySports

This was what Coach Jones wrote to David Smoak. Maybe this will shed a little light on the move. He will also have the opportunity to work with his brother Jared Jones who is Joaquin's OC and his friend AD/HFC Wade Lawson. They all graduated from Joaquin together. This is a home run hire for Coach Lawson and the Joaquin Rams. 

Smoaky's Photo

This is the hidden content, please
Today, 09:41 AM

David, 

As of this morning I have resigned from West Sabine ISD as Head Football Coach. This decision comes after much thought and many prayers. I would like to thank the West Sabine School District, administration, and the community for the opportunity to work at such a great school for the past eight years and the opportunity to coach their kids. These years have all been a blessing to me and my family, and I will always cherish them for as long as I live. This place has without a doubt changed me for the better, and I can only hope that along the way I’ve changed it a little as well. I truly feel the program is headed in the right direction and will only continue to get better; we’ve managed to stay extremely competitive and be a playoff team over the past two seasons even though most people didn’t give us a chance. I believe that’s a true credit to the will and determination of our kids and our coaching staff.

However, due to personal circumstances the time has come for me to take the next step in my life. My father has been battling Stage Four Kidney Cancer for the past year. It has been a roller coaster of a year for my family. Something like this really puts a lot of things into perspective for a person. I feel it is my obligation and duty to return home for my family. This is a decision I have struggled with over the past year, however I don’t think I could be the man that I claim to be if I don’t do what is right and put what is best for my entire family first in this situation. I’ve always preached the importance of FAMILY” to the kids in our program, and now it’s time I set a good example. My wife is also pregnant with our first child, and I think it’s extremely important that our child gets to spend as much time with her grandparents as possible.

It is for these reasons that I will be taking a job at Joaquin High School as their Defensive Coordinator for the upcoming 2017 season. This is a move that will allow me to live close to my parents in order to help them out and also allow me to spend more time with them. I will have the rest of my life to focus on my career, and who knows what will happen next, but The Good Lord only gives you one family, and that will always be my number one priority. 

Sincerely,

Jonathan Jones 

This is the hidden content, please

3 hours ago, 2wedge said:

Tod Stark should head home. I'm sure they'd welcome him with open arms. 

I would love nothing more than Coach Stark to head back to WS.  And then schedule Hardin....and then beat Hardin   70-0.  I'm sure he wouldn't do that because he's probably a better coach than I would be.  In terms of being professional, I mean.  But it sure would bring some satisfaction to me.

5 hours ago, bulldawg64 said:

home is not pineland its merryville la is where todd is from he coached there first and grew up there

I appreciate that info, but leaving Texas to coach in Louisiana is like trading in your Ferrari for a Hyundai. The point is that a soft landing spot has been created for Coach Stark and he should take it, whether WS is "home" or not.

• 2 weeks later...