Should Home School Kids be Able to Participate in School Sports

Hagar

On 4/11/2017 at 9:09 AM, REBgp said:

Well slap me upside the head with a slab of bacon.  I've been fed some false information.  Wish I could say it was the first time lol.  Thanks for the info TC.

I think most schools may have some kind of policy against seniors playing on JV.  But no.. there is no rule saying that it can't happen.  I know that if I were coaching I wouldn't want seniors taking minutes away from another kid that could otherwise be improving for next year.  Because ultimately, that's what sub-varsity ball is for...  Preparation for varsity athletics.

When I say a school may have a policy...here's an example.  I have a good friend that was an Athletic Director and he had a policy that states "If a kid plays Varsity ball as a junior then they are not allowed to play JV ball as a senior."  So, in other words, they at least have to either ride the bench with varsity or not get a uniform at all.  It's not an issue that you see very often.  More times than not a coach will put seniors on Varsity just because.

On 3/24/2017 at 1:55 PM, oldschool2 said:

Nope.  You'd be assuming wrong.  Please think for a second about what you're saying.  The student gets to be enrolled in the athletics class ONLY because they are a homeschool student that wants to play on the sports team...

Answer this.  What if the team holds a tryout and the homeschool kid doesn't make the team?  Or the homeschool kid refuses to adhere to the policies of the athletics class and fails?  Do they get lunch/breakfast if they were in the athletics class?  What about special Ed services?  I could go on and on...

Bottom line.  This is a terrible idea all the way around.  There is a reason that activities that involve STUDENT/athletes are for students only.  And they are a privilege.  Not a right.  Even students enrolled in the school could be denied the right to be an athlete.

But I know...my opinion is irrelevant.  If this does become law then they'll get to be part of the team..I guess.  BUT.  Coaches make the final call on who plays and how much.  Good luck getting off of the bench after missing 250 minutes of workouts each week with the team/coach because there is no way a homeschool student would get to enroll in a class for one period a day.

so true a privilege not a right