Should Home School Kids be Able to Participate in School Sports

Hagar

I guess I just don't care for the home schooling concept. I have one child with a Doctorate, and one with a masters degree. My wife and I both have college degrees. I never wanted to limit my children to the knowledge that I can share with them. I also like seeing the affect of the things that others have to share with them. Sometimes I don't care for the ideas of people in the public school system and sometimes I don't even like the people but I do appreciate that they offered something different to my children's lives than the narrow scope that my wife and I could offer.

Sports are not the most important thing that takes place at a school and I agree that to a degree they are a bonus that a child-student can earn an opportunity to participate in.

The same can be said for band, choir, FFA and other extra curricular activities.

I agree with most people on here. It's all or nothing with me. You either take it all or stay away. There are private schools and programs that would take you with willing arms. I know most public programs would jump at a chance to take a student if he was a beast, but what would they do if he was a bench rider?

If you want to go home, stay home.

10 hours ago, scoopno1 said:

I guess I just don't care for the home schooling concept. I have one child with a Doctorate, and one with a masters degree. My wife and I both have college degrees. I never wanted to limit my children to the knowledge that I can share with them. I also like seeing the affect of the things that others have to share with them. Sometimes I don't care for the ideas of people in the public school system and sometimes I don't even like the people but I do appreciate that they offered something different to my children's lives than the narrow scope that my wife and I could offer.

Sports are not the most important thing that takes place at a school and I agree that to a degree they are a bonus that a child-student can earn an opportunity to participate in.

The same can be said for band, choir, FFA and other extra curricular activities.

You bring up another good point.  What the kids can learn from others.  Perhaps a teacher at school may tell a relevant story about a subject that will help the kids remember.  As I pointed out earlier, if I'd had to homeschool my kids, they'd never learned algebra.  And realistically, how many 40 year old parents could pass an algebra test?  Imo the percentage would be very small, for the most part those rare individuals who may work on a job that requires it.  

My concerns would be the same as many on here. First, grades. I know many home school parents do a great job, but some do not. As a former educator I know that many children who come back to public schools after being home schooled have fallen far behind. How could you be assured a child was passing all his classes and that those classes were at the same level as the public school classes. Also missing the athletic period. It would be unfair for a kid to participate that missed all the hours of work that the other kids did in the athletic period. However, if those two problems could be managed I would have no objections. Some parents just get mad because they or their kids don't get their way and pull them out of school and often do very little actual schooling at home. Other parents really believe in the concept of home school and do a great job of educating their kids at home and it would be great if a fair system could be worked out for those kids to participate if they want to.

Again we are talking about "student-athletes". If you are not a student at that school, you are not a "student -athlete" representing that school.

If you want to put your kid in a sports organization, that's wonderful, but home school kids should not be playing for the public school. 

If you are not enrolled in a school as a student, you should not be allowed to play for that school. That seems like a reasonable concept.

35 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Again we are talking about "student-athletes". If you are not a student at that school, you are not a "student -athlete" representing that school.

If you want to put your kid in a sports organization, that's wonderful, but home school kids should not be playing for the public school. 

If you are not enrolled in a school as a student, you should not be allowed to play for that school. That seems like a reasonable concept.

You would think.

The overwhelming majority of High School Athletes will never play competitive sports again once they graduate, so what motivates them to excel at their respective schools? I think it is the school itself and hometown pride, teachers, fans, fellow students, what greater feeling to have scored the winning touchdown Friday night and then walk down the school halls on Monday high five'n, being at pep rallies, hearing fight songs, the list goes on and on. I don't think you can get that at home, being at school is where all the action is, want to play then come to school.

9 hours ago, Tigers2010 said:

It would be more reasonable if the parents weren't paying school taxes to that school.  And keep in mind, it's the kid that's being punished, not the parents who made the decision.  

I'm still surprised that so many are opposed to this, yet Most are all for giving a kid that sucker punches an opposing player, or intentionally steps on an opposing players ankle, a second chance.  Even one of the kids who hit the Ref in the back was allowed to play again.  All that exhibits compassion, but turning your back on a kid for a decision his parents made, well.....not so much.  Cest la vie.

7 hours ago, REBgp said:

It would be more reasonable if the parents weren't paying school taxes to that school.  And keep in mind, it's the kid that's being punished, not the parents who made the decision.  

I'm still surprised that so many are opposed to this, yet Most are all for giving a kid that sucker punches an opposing player, or intentionally steps on an opposing players ankle, a second chance.  Even one of the kids who hit the Ref in the back was allowed to play again.  All that exhibits compassion, but turning your back on a kid for a decision his parents made, well.....not so much.  Cest la vie.

Follow my past posts you know I was one of the few against letting that kid play again. Again, if a person is not enrolled in a school, how can you reasonably allow him to compete for the school. Everybody who lives in the district pays school taxes. The 80 year old man with no children pays taxes, why not let him play.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:51 AM, LumRaiderFan said:

Devil's advocate...if I home school my kids and can't participate in any public school activities, should I be able to be exempted from paying school taxes?

Should a retired couple with grown kids out of school be exempt? What about the couple that chose not to have kids? What about the single person with no kids? Should we exempt them all?

4 hours ago, Tigers2010 said:

Follow my past posts you know I was one of the few against letting that kid play again. Again, if a person is not enrolled in a school, how can you reasonably allow him to compete for the school. Everybody who lives in the district pays school taxes. The 80 year old man with no children pays taxes, why not let him play.

Heck Tiger, I tried that at Evadale (I'm younger, 72) but when I found out they timed you in the 40, I quit.  I thought it was 4. :) 

12 hours ago, REBgp said:

Yes, the kids do face the consequences of this choice of schools which is a choice that I acknowledge should be left to parents, be it public, private or home school.  I would not make the choice of homeschool for as others have stated before me, my inadequacies would only serve to hinder my child's education.  Having met Chester86 and his wife, I have no doubt that they were up to the task when they chose to homeschool their children.  However, as Chester86 and his wife did, a parent in making this choice of school must weigh the potential positive and negative impacts of such a choice.  And one such impact, as has been discussed here, is the fact that your choice of not placing your child in public school will mean that the child is not able to participate in the extracurricular activities, in this case the athletics offered by that district, that the public school district offers to its enrolled students.

The fact that a parent is still obligated to pay school district taxes even though they make the choice to homeschool their child does not exempt the parent from that consequence.  As has been stated above, we all pay school taxes whether we or not we have children attending the school district that we pay taxes to.  The school district to which those taxes were paid has fulfilled its duty to the parents of that district by making available the services of the schools to the children of all of the residents of that district.  In making the decision to homeschool or for that matter to send their child to private school, a parent is declining the services of that district.  Should you feel that is a consequence that your child should not bear, you should do what Chester86 ultimately did.  That is reassess the pros and cons of the decision to homeschool, revisit your decision based on that decision making and ultimately reverse your decision if you feel that is best for your child.

3 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Yes, the kids do face the consequences of this choice of schools which is a choice that I acknowledge should be left to parents, be it public, private or home school.  I would not make the choice of homeschool for as others have stated before me, my inadequacies would only serve to hinder my child's education.  Having met Chester86 and his wife, I have no doubt that they were up to the task when they chose to homeschool their children.  However, as Chester86 and his wife did, a parent in making this choice of school must weigh the potential positive and negative impacts of such a choice.  And one such impact, as has been discussed here, is the fact that your choice of not placing your child in public school will mean that the child is not able to participate in the extracurricular activities, in this case the athletics offered by that district, that the public school district offers to its enrolled students.

The fact that a parent is still obligated to pay school district taxes even though they make the choice to homeschool their child does not exempt the parent from that consequence.  As has been stated above, we all pay school taxes whether we or not we have children attending the school district that we pay taxes to.  The school district to which those taxes were paid has fulfilled its duty to the parents of that district by making available the services of the schools to the children of all of the residents of that district.  In making the decision to homeschool or for that matter to send their child to private school, a parent is declining the services of that district.  Should you feel that is a consequence that your child should not bear, you should do what Chester86 ultimately did.  That is reassess the pros and cons of the decision to homeschool, revisit your decision based on that decision making and ultimately reverse your decision if you feel that is best for your child.

Well done response.  Personally, I couldn't have home schooled my kids.  With the exception being I'd trust myself through the 6th.  But I know my limitations in advanced math and English.  

As for as athletics go, it's pretty much out of our hands anyway.

7 hours ago, bcred said:

Should a retired couple with grown kids out of school be exempt? What about the couple that chose not to have kids? What about the single person with no kids? Should we exempt them all?

Okay..  Well thought out answer time bcred:

Old people with grown kids - Exempt (IR1- we spend all our meager income on food & A/C)

Couple w/no kids - Double  (no kids, plenty of money)

Single w/no kids - Triple  (no spouse, no kid, Tons of money).

Lol, I'm gonna get called out on this :) 

16 hours ago, REBgp said:

Okay..  Well thought out answer time bcred:

Old people with grown kids - Exempt (IR1- we spend all our meager income on food & A/C)

Couple w/no kids - Double  (no kids, plenty of money)

Single w/no kids - Triple  (no spouse, no kid, Tons of money).

Lol, I'm gonna get called out on this :) 

LOL!

13 hours ago, texanabroad said:

My thoughts on the issue are simple. Taxes, sadly are mandatory. The parents make a choice when they decide to homeschool and they certainly have the right to do so. The consequences of that choice mean you forfeit some of the privileges of paying those taxes. This includes school sports.  

Spot on

I say homeschooled kids should be allowed to participate, but this should bring the kid under the school's grade jurisdiction. This would probably be pretty complicated. The idea would be "If you want to homeschool, that's fine, but you are now a [insert school district] student and you have to meet our standards". 

I really like the idea of homeschooled kids being allowed to participate. Sports help bridge a lot of the gap between what homeschooling parents can and cannot offer their kids. 

15 minutes ago, L'Acadien said:

I say homeschooled kids should be allowed to participate, but this should bring the kid under the school's grade jurisdiction. This would probably be pretty complicated. The idea would be "If you want to homeschool, that's fine, but you are now a [insert school district] student and you have to meet our standards". 

I really like the idea of homeschooled kids being allowed to participate. Sports help bridge a lot of the gap between what homeschooling parents can and cannot offer their kids. 

So you're ok with a kid not being held to the same behavior standard?  Behaving in a classroom/lunch/hallway setting pulls a lot of weight when it comes to whether or not a kid is allowed to take part in athletics.  Conforming to school policy is something that shouldn't be allowed to be avoided if you're taking part in a school athletics program.

On March 30, 2017 at 11:55 AM, oldschool2 said:

So you're ok with a kid not being held to the same behavior standard?  Behaving in a classroom/lunch/hallway setting pulls a lot of weight when it comes to whether or not a kid is allowed to take part in athletics.  Conforming to school policy is something that shouldn't be allowed to be avoided if you're taking part in a school athletics program.

I certainly understand the point you're making.  When I was working there were several reasons you could be tested for drugs or alcohol.  Had 3 or 4, just from our small plant, that worked from home.  I use to wonder if they were drinking cold beer while doing their work, while I was stuck with Red Bulls lol.

10 hours ago, REBgp said:

I certainly understand the point you're making.  When I was working there were several reasons you could be tested for drugs or alcohol.  Had 3 or 4, just from our small plant, that worked from home.  I use to wonder if they were drinking cold beer while doing their work, while I was stuck with Red Bulls lol.

Honestly that's the biggest thing to me.  Public school students have to wake up at a certain time, adhere to certain dress codes and behavior standards, get along with students and teachers well enough to stay out of trouble, learn to succeed under the umbrella of several different teachers with several different teaching styles, showing up on time for an athletic class...then to the next class while sweaty and tired, making it to practice on time after having school all day, juggle the stresses of homework and testing despite having extracurricular activities day of, day after, and week of..., juggling social issues, etc. etc. etc...

And everything I just listed is monitored by one parent for homeschooled kids.  I think that's it's a little unfair.