Should Home School Kids be Able to Participate in School Sports

Hagar

46 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

My particular response wasn't a knee jerk reaction.  If I'm coaching...and a kid misses the athletic period every single day, they won't come off the bench.  UIL could make me allow them to participate, but UIL has zero say in who plays or how much they play.

You highlighted the reference to knee jerk reaction, and then proceeded to talk about kids missing athletic period.  If you'd taken the time to read the whole thing, you'd noticed the first line in my post said that attending athletic period should be mandatory.  That in itself could be construed as "knee jerk", at best, and lack of reading comprehension at worst.  Yes, coaches make the decision on who plays, and we saw how well that worked in Celina.  Had I been that kids coach, that would've been the end of his playing, for that year at a minimum.  And you would hold it against a kid simply because of his parents.  What about a kid at school that plays and his father committed murder.  Would you play him, or keep him on the bench simply because of his parent.  You may have been a coach, and a good one, but it appears you care nothing about kids

This does hit home for my household. I do have a son who is enrolled at PNG and is in athletics. My youngest did go to PNGISD until 3rd grade. I decided to homeschool her. Not because I didn't like the school district or because she was struggling. For our personal reason. However I do agree that homeschool kids have to work for everything they have earned just like a public school child. You must give 100% to earn your spot on the team. I have heard of the discussion of homeschool kids getting to play in sports, but I'm not aware of the rules. the curriculum that she does is the same as most private schools around here. We still have to take a standardized test every year and also have to have the same requirements as public schools- 2 yrs of foreign language/ fine arts / and a music class. Her work is not graded by me. Every 9 weeks her work is mailed off and graded by the school and once graded you receive your child's report card. I do hope one day if she does decide to participate in sports. She is giving the same opportunity as her brother. Considering that each homeschool child does what is all required by the public school and state. 

1 hour ago, REBgp said:

You highlighted the reference to knee jerk reaction, and then proceeded to talk about kids missing athletic period.  If you'd taken the time to read the whole thing, you'd noticed the first line in my post said that attending athletic period should be mandatory.  That in itself could be construed as "knee jerk", at best, and lack of reading comprehension at worst.  Yes, coaches make the decision on who plays, and we saw how well that worked in Celina.  Had I been that kids coach, that would've been the end of his playing, for that year at a minimum.  And you would hold it against a kid simply because of his parents.  What about a kid at school that plays and his father committed murder.  Would you play him, or keep him on the bench simply because of his parent.  You may have been a coach, and a good one, but it appears you care nothing about kids

That's a negative, ghost rider.  But I care plenty about kids.  Most important thing they need sometimes is tough love.  Teach accountability.  They can either learn young, or as an adult.  But it will be learned.  Promis you that.

I read the whole thing.  I have no problem with reading comprehension or understanding what you said.  I understood it.  But after you said they should do the athletics class you spent a paragraph explaining why they should be given a "first chance" because of so many others who were given second chances.

Just exactly HOW am I holding anything against anybody because of their parents?  If they miss a work out / practice, they don't play.  Period.  I don't care what the reason is.  If a kid has 2 parents neither of whom own a car..they are still required to show up to practice?  "I know you were all required to be here at a certain time, and stay the whole time.  But Johnny's parents couldn't get him here on time.  So we're gonna give him a pass."  You can't have leniency for someone because of something they can't control.  And are you kidding me?  Would I bench a kid if their father committed murder?  What does that have to do with anything the kid did?  Bad situation no doubt.  But to assume I would bench a kid because of some kind of vendetta against a parent is really kind of stupid.

In my opinion a parent must not want their kids involved in school sports very bad if they homeschool them.  I understand completely why they would homeschool them...but then don't get mad when they can't do what public school students get to do.

In high school if I was failing a class I was forced by my coach to show up to tutorials before school until I brought my grades up. If a homeschooler is falling behind or failing how does the coach hold him accountable? Is it fair one gets punished because your in the school system while the other doesn't because he's not?

Also, if we were caught goofing off in school or got in trouble, guess what happened during athletics period? They ran our butts the whole time. And I've seen people have to sit out a game due to discipline issues. Once again an area where homeschoolers can't be held accountable.

Our athletics people was right before lunch which meant we worked out during school, ate lunch, went and sat in 3 hours worth of classes the hit the practice field immediately after school. If allowed to come to athletics, homeschooler would get to come, go home and relax in the comfort of their own home/room, probably take a nap, then come back for practice.

in my opinion , it wouldn't be fair to the student athletes who work their butts off, sit in class all day, and are held to a higher standard while at school because they know if they slip up the coach WILL find out. Allowing homeschoolers to play school sports is like allowing people without jobs to be able to live off government money just because they are a citizen of this country. 

You wanna be a part of our team? You earn it by coming to our schools with the rest of our team and working your butt off in the classroom and on the field.

4 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

To explain my NO

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Even if your parents help pay for the cake?  Seems a little one sided.  You'll need a better explanation than that.

Noticed no one responded to LumbertonRaiderFan's question, "If I home school my kids and they can't participate in school activities, should I be exempt from school taxes"?

19 minutes ago, REBgp said:

Even if your parents help pay for the cake?  Seems a little one sided.  You'll need a better explanation than that.

Noticed no one responded to LumbertonRaiderFan's question, "If I home school my kids and they can't participate in school activities, should I be exempt from school taxes"?

That is an excellent question! I guess it's kinda like the government issues we are having, why am I having work my butt off to pay for someone to get a free ride?

4 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

That's a negative, ghost rider.  But I care plenty about kids.  Most important thing they need sometimes is tough love.  Teach accountability.  They can either learn young, or as an adult.  But it will be learned.  Promis you that.

I read the whole thing.  I have no problem with reading comprehension or understanding what you said.  I understood it.  But after you said they should do the athletics class you spent a paragraph explaining why they should be given a "first chance" because of so many others who were given second chances.

Just exactly HOW am I holding anything against anybody because of their parents?  If they miss a work out / practice, they don't play.  Period.  I don't care what the reason is.  If a kid has 2 parents neither of whom own a car..they are still required to show up to practice?  "I know you were all required to be here at a certain time, and stay the whole time.  But Johnny's parents couldn't get him here on time.  So we're gonna give him a pass."  You can't have leniency for someone because of something they can't control.  And are you kidding me?  Would I bench a kid if their father committed murder?  What does that have to do with anything the kid did?  Bad situation no doubt.  But to assume I would bench a kid because of some kind of vendetta against a parent is really kind of stupid.

In my opinion a parent must not want their kids involved in school sports very bad if they homeschool them.  I understand completely why they would homeschool them...but then don't get mad when they can't do what public school students get to do.

Sure, if the home school kid doesn't make athletic period, or practice, he should be treated like anyone else, benched, extra sprints, dismissal, whatever.  I've never said anything about a pass.  That's you.  But as you said, a parent must not want their kids involved in school sports very bad if they home school them.  But you see, again, your basing most of your opinion on what the parents want, not what the kids want.

How many kids that participate in HS activities have parents that want them to, or could care less?  I've been to basketball games where the opposing side only has 4 or 5 people over there.  But still the kids want to play, regardless of the personal pain they must suffer that their parents don't care.  Sure those home schooled kids parents may not be thrilled their kid wants to participate, but because their parents insisted on schooling at home, why punish the kid?   The kid is not learning tough love, the kid is getting the shaft because of his parents decision and the State Law.

8 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

That is an excellent question! I guess it's kinda like the government issues we are having, why am I having work my butt off to pay for someone to get a free ride?

Lol, well said L-train.  That's a lot better question than home schooled kids getting to play sports.  Hope to see you in the Political Forum.

6 minutes ago, REBgp said:

Lol, well said L-train.  That's a lot better question than home schooled kids getting to play sports.  Hope to see you in the Political Forum.

Lol trust me I don't know enough about politics to step foot in that forum, although I do read it pretty often! 

A non enrolled student can not attend a class at school.  You are in the school or you are not.  I would hope most area schools do not even allow non enrolled school aged folks to be on the campus during school hours.   If they do then they are opening themselves up for issues.

Others issues are attendance based funding, liabilities, accountability,etc.  If the state ever allowed this I cant imagine it ever being anything more than afterschool "club" participation.  How long would it be until folks wanted transportation to and from?  Where would it end?  If you've made the decision to keep your child out of the educational aspects and opportunities of the district you've also made the decision to forfeit the privilege to participate in the non educational extra curricular activities.  Schools are not Burger King......you do not always get things your way.

7 minutes ago, OneChance said:

Home School students have ways of being a part of Athletics

This is the hidden content, please

volleyball team out of Houston practiced at same club my daughter played at and they won the state championship! I can't speak for football.

Interesting post, thanks.  Never heard of this organization.

8 hours ago, Tiger90 said:

A non enrolled student can not attend a class at school.  You are in the school or you are not.  I would hope most area schools do not even allow non enrolled school aged folks to be on the campus during school hours.   If they do then they are opening themselves up for issues.

Others issues are attendance based funding, liabilities, accountability,etc.  If the state ever allowed this I cant imagine it ever being anything more than afterschool "club" participation.  How long would it be until folks wanted transportation to and from?  Where would it end?  If you've made the decision to keep your child out of the educational aspects and opportunities of the district you've also made the decision to forfeit the privilege to participate in the non educational extra curricular activities.  Schools are not Burger King......you do not always get things your way.

If the Homeschooled kid is allowed to play, he/she would be enrolled, albeit limited class time.  Your transportation argument is weak.  If allowed to participate, I'm sure someone (parent, grandparent) would have to take & pickup.  Not sure about attendance based funding.  That would need to be addressed.  I did read up on Alabama, where its allowed, but the student athlete has to signup for PE (football, basketball, etc.) and also one elective class, which I thought was interesting (maybe for attendance based funding?).

Anyway, appreciate everyone's input.  I found out it'll be a lot more complicated (kinda like ACA lol) than I anticipated, but with the increased interest in homeschooling, I think those kids will have an opportunity someday.

Personally, I'd like to see the State more involved in monitoring the academic progress of these kids.  If they have well educated parents, they probably would do well in the testing.  I'm concerned about someone like me trying to teach them algebra (or English).  I ain't figured out what A + B is to this day :) 

14 hours ago, REBgp said:

Ok. I am 100% against home schooling. Have no problem with private and public schools.

Think home schooling doesn't prepare a student socially and mentally.

59 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Ok. I am 100% against home schooling. Have no problem with private and public schools.

On that, we agree.  Only the rare cases where a kid might interact a lot in sports activities and  thru church, and I bet that's rare.  Socially behind, most probably.  I'm not a big fan of home schooling myself.

1 hour ago, REBgp said:

On that, we agree.  Only the rare cases where a kid might interact a lot in sports activities and  thru church, and I bet that's rare.  Socially behind, most probably.  I'm not a big fan of home schooling myself.

I think it's what you make of it. I've seen plenty of people come through public schools who still aren't prepared socially or mentally lol and I know some very good smart kids who are currently being homeschooled. Depends on the parents and the student in both situations 

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

We home-schooled all three of our boys.  My wife felt very passionately about this, prayed and really believed that she was called by God to do it.  My oldest is musically inclined, my middle one athletically gifted and my youngest is a jokester.  

My middle one has played little league, travel ball and was even selected to play overseas.  He has played STJFL for football and Upwards for basketball.  We joined a home-school organization that played in a home-school co-op between Texas and Louisiana.  This group had Varsity athletics and we traveled all over his 7th and 8th grade years, winning a state championship his 8th grade year.

This traveling was financially tough.  We paid school taxes for something that we never used.  We made a family decision, based on input from all including our now high-school age boys.   The decision was made to put them into school.

My oldest is now a police officer in Beaumont.  He survived cancer at 18, and has gone on multiple mission trips to Peru.  My middle one has been all-district in all three sports, all region in basketball, and Bmt Super-Gold in baseball.  He has several offers to ply at the next level.  My youngest is always involved in everything.

I say all of that to show that the old stereotype of the nerdy, shy and awkward home-schooler is not always accurate.  It is just that - a pre-judged (prejudice) that is not always accurate.  People make that decision for a variety of reasons.  Home-school is often a very well-rounded and solid foundation of education.  It develops free-thinking individuals, not children that are cookie-cutter lemmings.

Had we made the decision to continue, there are different avenues to explore for athletics.  Most of them are geared toward individualism (swimming, track, etc.).  There are team-sport opportunities available, and they are growing.  

I personally think the government is in my business too much. Had we continued to home-school I would be against this.  We made a decision and it has worked out for our family.  I applaud those that continue to home school, it is a valid and worthwhile educational opportunity.

3 hours ago, Chester86 said:

We home-schooled all three of our boys.  My wife felt very passionately about this, prayed and really believed that she was called by God to do it.  My oldest is musically inclined, my middle one athletically gifted and my youngest is a jokester.  

My middle one has played little league, travel ball and was even selected to play overseas.  He has played STJFL for football and Upwards for basketball.  We joined a home-school organization that played in a home-school co-op between Texas and Louisiana.  This group had Varsity athletics and we traveled all over his 7th and 8th grade years, winning a state championship his 8th grade year.

This traveling was financially tough.  We paid school taxes for something that we never used.  We made a family decision, based on input from all including our now high-school age boys.   The decision was made to put them into school.

My oldest is now a police officer in Beaumont.  He survived cancer at 18, and has gone on multiple mission trips to Peru.  My middle one has been all-district in all three sports, all region in basketball, and Bmt Super-Gold in baseball.  He has several offers to ply at the next level.  My youngest is always involved in everything.

I say all of that to show that the old stereotype of the nerdy, shy and awkward home-schooler is not always accurate.  It is just that - a pre-judged (prejudice) that is not always accurate.  People make that decision for a variety of reasons.  Home-school is often a very well-rounded and solid foundation of education.  It develops free-thinking individuals, not children that are cookie-cutter lemmings.

Had we made the decision to continue, there are different avenues to explore for athletics.  Most of them are geared toward individualism (swimming, track, etc.).  There are team-sport opportunities available, and they are growing.  

I personally think the government is in my business too much. Had we continued to home-school I would be against this.  We made a decision and it has worked out for our family.  I applaud those that continue to home school, it is a valid and worthwhile educational opportunity.

Great post, and an example of what's needed to home school successfully.  Total commitment.  Thanks for a good look at "the other side".  Few of us know much about home schooling, and the opportunities for athletics.  

I'm still of the opinion there should be a way for them to play at their nearest HS.  Just something I started thinking about after I heard about Tebow.  

7 minutes ago, scoopno1 said:

I agree with AAW but I do that most of the time. My question is this, Why would anyone want their home schooled child to be around school children in an athletic setting if they were sheltering them from the student body academically?

Ok, not sure which home-school families you talked to or have been around; but we never did it to "shelter" them from anyone.  We did it because that is what we felt called to do.  It was not done to keep them from people.  We had our boys involved in everything under the sun.  People need to know there are options out there.  There is public education, private schools, co-ops, and home school.  There might be other options too.  Our son wanted to play sports so we made the decision to put them in school.  

Okay, say your son likes baseball and you home-school.  You have the option of the Northside Falcons out of Montgomery, Texas.  That is probably the most note-worthy option.  You could go to Good Samaritan Fellowship (GSF) out of Fred, Tx.  Both would allow you to play for a team.  However, the travel associated with both of those teams is going to be a lot.  Northside plays all over, and the home-school World Series is in Florida.  GSF plays in ACEL, which is based out of Baton Rouge, La.  While you'll get some home games you will be traveling all over Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas.  Or, if this bill passed you could play in the community you live in.  

That ability to play where you live and pay taxes is the draw for some of the HS parents fighting for this.  The majority of HS parents that I know do not want it.  This allows the state and federal governments into their curriculum.  HS parents enjoy the freedom to pick their own curriculum.  My wife would spend weeks researching and reading trying to tailor specifics to each boy.  Believe what you will, but this decision is very personal for each family.  

They are allowed to play sports. They don't play for public schools. There is a "school building" for home schooled kids here in Bmt where they come together and do various activities that require interaction such as intramural sports. In San Antonio they have actual football teams that compete in the private school sector along with bands and other sports.