Should Home School Kids be Able to Participate in School Sports

Hagar

22 minutes ago, PNG2720 said:

May 11 2015 the senate passed the bill so yes, homeschool kids can and eventually will play in public school sports, so really everyone's opinion doesn't matter. 

You must was homeschooled yourself.  It's a message board where everyone, including you, can express the opinion...smh.

15 minutes ago, PNG2720 said:

Do you honestly think that he/ she would just show up for only game day? No, they would still put in the hours just like every other public school student. The bill has been passed by the senate in 2015, so yes soon homeschool kids will be playing UIL sports. Would it be different if one of the public school main star athlete had a younger brother who was homeschooled? Wouldn't you like to give that younger brother a chance to break his brothers records?

So the school system was good enough for one child to set records but not good enough for the younger sibling? 

Where did you all find this Indian at?

1 hour ago, REBgp said:

If a homeschooled kid really wants to play sports, I'd think attending the Athletic Period would be mandatory.  And any off season programs.  Academic requirements could be monitored by the schools (at some big schools, ever wonder why a JV team might lose 10 players to grades but the Varsity only 1, and he wasn't a starter?).  If allowed to play in big Districts with residence requirements in the District, they'd have to play at the school of their residence.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but before you make a knee jerk reaction, you should remember, the vast majority of kids who are home schooled are done so by the parents decision, not the kids themselves.  I doubt you'd have a big number of kids who do want to play, but for the few that do, and their parents will let them, why punish the kid?  There are many incidents of unwarranted violence in HS sports.  The kid from SA who hit the Ref in the back.  The Celina QB.  The recent fight (one of several across the state I'm sure) at a local basketball game.  Those kids all got a second chance.  Why?  Because they're kids.  They made a mistake.  The homeschooled kid hasn't made a mistake.   Him/her are homeschooled because of their parents. What not give them a (first) chance?

My particular response wasn't a knee jerk reaction.  If I'm coaching...and a kid misses the athletic period every single day, they won't come off the bench.  UIL could make me allow them to participate, but UIL has zero say in who plays or how much they play.

18 minutes ago, PNG2720 said:

Do you honestly think that he/ she would just show up for only game day? No, they would still put in the hours just like every other public school student. The bill has been passed by the senate in 2015, so yes soon homeschool kids will be playing UIL sports. Would it be different if one of the public school main star athlete had a younger brother who was homeschooled? Wouldn't you like to give that younger brother a chance to break his brothers records?

Do you honestly think that I would give a crap about a younger sibling doing something better than an older sibling?  I'll say it again.  If I were coaching...a kid that missed the athletic period EVERY SINGLE DAY would not come off of the bench.  I truly do not care what they do or claim to be doing on their own time.  Did you play sports?  Because if you ever missed a practice and told the coach " but coach, I did my own practice.  Just ask my dad"  that wouldn't fly.  Not with any coach I ever had.

The UIL may say that homeschool kids are allowed to play...but when or how much they play is 100% up to the coach.  And every coach I know would not allow a kid to miss that much time that the rest of the team has to attend...and play.  So there you go.  Nothing personal.  And nothing against homeschool kids.  But, if they miss any type of workout, walk thru, meeting, film session, etc. that every other teammate is at then they don't deserve to play in the game.

10 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

So the school system was good enough for one child to set records but not good enough for the younger sibling? 

Where did you all find this Indian at?

Why do you think it has anything to do with the school district? That's not always the case.

4 minutes ago, PNG2720 said:

Jason Taylor

michael Beasley 

Blake  Griffin 

All homeschool pro athletes. You will be surprised how many pro athletes came from homeschool 

Can't speak on the others, but Blake Griffin was home-schooled until he went to High School. So, he attended the school he played for. 

14 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Do you honestly think that I would give a crap about a younger sibling doing something better than an older sibling?  I'll say it again.  If I were coaching...a kid that missed the athletic period EVERY SINGLE DAY would not come off of the bench.  I truly do not care what they do or claim to be doing on their own time.  Did you play sports?  Because if you ever missed a practice and told the coach " but coach, I did my own practice.  Just ask my dad"  that wouldn't fly.  Not with any coach I ever had.

The UIL may say that homeschool kids are allowed to play...but when or how much they play is 100% up to the coach.  And every coach I know would not allow a kid to miss that much time that the rest of the team has to attend...and play.  So there you go.  Nothing personal.  And nothing against homeschool kids.  But, if they miss any type of workout, walk thru, meeting, film session, etc. that every other teammate is at then they don't deserve to play in the game.

Why do you assume they will miss? That's what I'm trying to figure out. They would still be going to Everything that is involved in athletics. 

2 minutes ago, PNG2720 said:

Why do you assume they will miss? That's what I'm trying to figure out. They would still be going to Everything that is involved in athletics. 

Athletics period is a CLASS that happens during the school day.  A class that is used every single day for the team as a preparation of sorts.

7 minutes ago, PNG2720 said:

That's right it is a CLASS so why would the kid not go? I'm sure they can manage to do their work and show up to that CLASS everyday M-F 

So parents are now empowered as to which class it is appropriate for their homeschool child to attend and not attend within a public school district?  It may be allowed by the Texas senate, but it certainly fails the smell test as far as I am concerned.

It's not that hard to show up every week M-F to that particular athletic class and do the same  physical requirements as that public student 

Do you know of many schools that would let a kid (not a student of the school) show up and participate in a class?  Especially an athletics class...where there is running and weight lifting.  Because I don't know of any.  There are some legal / safety issues there when talking about kids that aren't enrolled as students.

4 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Do you know of many schools that would let a kid (not a student of the school) show up and participate in a class?  Especially an athletics class...where there is running and weight lifting.  Because I don't know of any.  There are some legal / safety issues there when talking about kids that aren't enrolled as students.

It's called a physical ALL athletes have to get one every year not that hard for a homeschool kid to get one 

7 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

So parents are now empowered as to which class it is appropriate for their homeschool child to attend and not attend within a public school district?  It may be allowed by the Texas senate, but it certainly fails the smell test as far as I am concerned.

I do know varsity athletic period starts at 1:30 I'm sure that kid could get their academic classes done by then same as public an attend a athletic class at 1:30 that the senate has allowed that child to attend. It's not that difficult. 

It's called a physical ALL athletes have to get one every year not that hard for a homeschool kid to get one 

Wow.  You avoided the point altogether.  I'm aware they would have to follow rules of UIL which require a physical for certain grades.  I'm talking about:

A- A kid that is NOT A STUDENT showing up to a school to participate in a CLASS in which he/she is not enrolled.

B- A Kid participating in activities in which the other STUDENTS that are ENROLLED in the class are covered as far as liability.  If a STUDENT drops a weight on their foot and shatters their bones, the school is covered.  If a kid that is NOT A STUDENT does the same thing then are legally in some trouble.

4 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Wow.  You avoided the point altogether.  I'm aware they would have to follow rules of UIL which require a physical for certain grades.  I'm talking about:

A- A kid that is NOT A STUDENT showing up to a school to participate in a CLASS in which he/she is not enrolled.

B- A Kid participating in activities in which the other STUDENTS that are ENROLLED in the class are covered as far as liability.  If a STUDENT drops a weight on their foot and shatters their bones, the school is covered.  If a kid that is NOT A STUDENT does the same thing then are legally in some trouble.

I don't know for a fact, but I'm assuming they would be enrolled at the public school for just that one particular class. I'm sure there is some loop hole we're not aware of for the senate to pass this.

30 minutes ago, PNG2720 said:

I don't know for a fact, but I'm assuming they would be enrolled at the public school for just that one particular class. I'm sure there is some loop hole we're not aware of for the senate to pass this.

Nope.  You'd be assuming wrong.  Please think for a second about what you're saying.  The student gets to be enrolled in the athletics class ONLY because they are a homeschool student that wants to play on the sports team...

Answer this.  What if the team holds a tryout and the homeschool kid doesn't make the team?  Or the homeschool kid refuses to adhere to the policies of the athletics class and fails?  Do they get lunch/breakfast if they were in the athletics class?  What about special Ed services?  I could go on and on...

Bottom line.  This is a terrible idea all the way around.  There is a reason that activities that involve STUDENT/athletes are for students only.  And they are a privilege.  Not a right.  Even students enrolled in the school could be denied the right to be an athlete.

But I know...my opinion is irrelevant.  If this does become law then they'll get to be part of the team..I guess.  BUT.  Coaches make the final call on who plays and how much.  Good luck getting off of the bench after missing 250 minutes of workouts each week with the team/coach because there is no way a homeschool student would get to enroll in a class for one period a day.