Should Home School Kids be Able to Participate in School Sports

Hagar

Since things are kinda quiet here, I've been wanting others opinions on this.  

Hypothetically only, say I live in Evadale and home school my kids.  My son wants to play school football.  Do you think he should be allowed to play?  Remember, in this scenario, I pay school taxes to EISD.  Although this is just hypothetical. I think home school kids should be able to play.  As for as I know, it's not allowed now in Texas.

I've read that Tebow was home schooled in Florida where it's legal.   Just wanted some thoughts.

No.  This is what I call part timers.  The school is not good enough to attend but it's good enough to play sports.  No part timers wanted!!!!  If a kid wants the advantages of a school athletic program then the kid needs to attend the school.  

Another reason is that a kid from a split family, whose parents pay taxes at two different school districts, could more or less be recruited to whichever school he wants.

No.

How do  you manage the whole "no pass/no play"? You have a kid that can't pass in public school...but has unbelievable athletic talent. So mom/dad "homeschools" him/her while still participating in athletics. Do we take parent's word that their kid is passing? And what curriculum are they using? Is it as challenging as the public school?

And then do we open it up to all extra curricular activities? Homeschoolers in the marching band, in the choir, one act play? Where do you draw the line?

12 hours ago, REBgp said:

Since things are kinda quiet here, I've been wanting others opinions on this.  

Hypothetically only, say I live in Evadale and home school my kids.  My son wants to play school football.  Do you think he should be allowed to play?  Remember, in this scenario, I pay school taxes to EISD.  Although this is just hypothetical. I think home school kids should be able to play.  As for as I know, it's not allowed now in Texas.

I've read that Tebow was home schooled in Florida where it's legal.   Just wanted some thoughts.

Sorry REB, can't lean with you on this one. There are plenty of reasons why, IMO. If you choose to be home schooled, your choosing not to take advantage of the public school setting, athletics being one of those perks. 

Absolutely a kid should be allowed to play if he/she homeschools.

As long as the kid follows the same exact curriculum as the one provided by the school, completes the same assignments as the classes offered at the school, all work is graded by the teachers of record at the school, and the kid goes to the athletic period every single day, participates in the same offseason programs as provided in the athletic period, follows the same guidelines as the athletic policy provided by the athletic director....

Oh wait.  They can't do all that unless they're enrolled in the school.  Sorry for your luck.

I think it's already been passed by the state of Texas. Homeschool isn't always mommy heading your papers. Most schools are accredited and the parents mail off their work every so many weeks to be graded. Some not all home school curriculum is harder than public school usually the accredited ones   have the same curriculum as local private schools in this area.

10 hours ago, PNG2720 said:

I think it's already been passed by the state of Texas. Homeschool isn't always mommy heading your papers. Most schools are accredited and the parents mail off their work every so many weeks to be graded. Some not all home school curriculum is harder than public school usually the accredited ones   have the same curriculum as local private schools in this area.

That's fine...and very well may be the case.  But there is more to consider than just the academic side of it.  Homeschool kids are not held to the same standard of dress, behavior, attendance, etc...like those that attend a public school and actually have to show up on time every single day to 7/8 different classes.  Learn how to interact with teachers/students a certain way while staying out of trouble (according to the school policy).  PLUS.. I can't get past the idea of a kid playing that doesn't go through the athletics period / workouts every single day.  Or ever.

I can promise you that if I were coaching and had a homeschool kid on the roster the parents would be constantly wondering why the kid never came off the bench.  And I would say that it's because he/she hadn't worked out during the period all week.  If you think I wouldn't then you apparently don't know me very well.  

If an athletic period is 50 minutes long...5 days a week...for 36 weeks.  That's 9000 minutes (give or take some days) of working out, walk thru, film watching, game preparation... that a homeschool kid will miss.  Yeah.  Wouldn't play for me.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 7:56 AM, Ty Cobb said:

No.  This is what I call part timers.  The school is not good enough to attend but it's good enough to play sports.  No part timers wanted!!!!  If a kid wants the advantages of a school athletic program then the kid needs to attend the school.  

Another reason is that a kid from a split family, whose parents pay taxes at two different school districts, could more or less be recruited to whichever school he wants.

No...

If a homeschooled kid really wants to play sports, I'd think attending the Athletic Period would be mandatory.  And any off season programs.  Academic requirements could be monitored by the schools (at some big schools, ever wonder why a JV team might lose 10 players to grades but the Varsity only 1, and he wasn't a starter?).  If allowed to play in big Districts with residence requirements in the District, they'd have to play at the school of their residence.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but before you make a knee jerk reaction, you should remember, the vast majority of kids who are home schooled are done so by the parents decision, not the kids themselves.  I doubt you'd have a big number of kids who do want to play, but for the few that do, and their parents will let them, why punish the kid?  There are many incidents of unwarranted violence in HS sports.  The kid from SA who hit the Ref in the back.  The Celina QB.  The recent fight (one of several across the state I'm sure) at a local basketball game.  Those kids all got a second chance.  Why?  Because they're kids.  They made a mistake.  The homeschooled kid hasn't made a mistake.   Him/her are homeschooled because of their parents. What not give them a (first) chance?

29 minutes ago, REBgp said:

If a homeschooled kid really wants to play sports, I'd think attending the Athletic Period would be mandatory.  And any off season programs.  Academic requirements could be monitored by the schools (at some big schools, ever wonder why a JV team might lose 10 players to grades but the Varsity only 1, and he wasn't a starter?).  If allowed to play in big Districts with residence requirements in the District, they'd have to play at the school of their residence.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but before you make a knee jerk reaction, you should remember, the vast majority of kids who are home schooled are done so by the parents decision, not the kids themselves.  I doubt you'd have a big number of kids who do want to play, but for the few that do, and their parents will let them, why punish the kid?  There are many incidents of unwarranted violence in HS sports.  The kid from SA who hit the Ref in the back.  The Celina QB.  The recent fight (one of several across the state I'm sure) at a local basketball game.  Those kids all got a second chance.  Why?  Because they're kids.  They made a mistake.  The homeschooled kid hasn't made a mistake.   Him/her are homeschooled because of their parents. What not give them a (first) chance?

My opinion, if the parents made that decision to home school them, then those same parents decided for there kid to not participate in school extracurricular activities.   

If the school is not good enough for the child to attend daily like all the other students at that particular school, why is the football team or other extracurricular activity good enough? 

I think a home schooled kid would have a tough time being accepted by his/her other teammates on that particular team, jmo...

5 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

If the school is not good enough for the child to attend daily like all the other students at that particular school, why is the football team or other extracurricular activity good enough? 

I think a home schooled kid would have a tough time being accepted by his/her other teammates on that particular team, jmo...

I suspect Tim Tebow was accepted.  Surely not initially, but he earned their respect.  I'm sure it would be difficult, and many would quit, but for the handful of true good homeschooled athletes, it'll give them an opportunity, despite their parents.

37 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Why? I'm sure many homeschool kids are in extra curricular activities throughout their community. 

4 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

That's fine...and very well may be the case.  But there is more to consider than just the academic side of it.  Homeschool kids are not held to the same standard of dress, behavior, attendance, etc...like those that attend a public school and actually have to show up on time every single day to 7/8 different classes.  Learn how to interact with teachers/students a certain way while staying out of trouble (according to the school policy).  PLUS.. I can't get past the idea of a kid playing that doesn't go through the athletics period / workouts every single day.  Or ever.

I can promise you that if I were coaching and had a homeschool kid on the roster the parents would be constantly wondering why the kid never came off the bench.  And I would say that it's because he/she hadn't worked out during the period all week.  If you think I wouldn't then you apparently don't know me very well.  

If an athletic period is 50 minutes long...5 days a week...for 36 weeks.  That's 9000 minutes (give or take some days) of working out, walk thru, film watching, game preparation... that a homeschool kid will miss.  Yeah.  Wouldn't play for me.

Do you honestly think that he/ she would just show up for only game day? No, they would still put in the hours just like every other public school student. The bill has been passed by the senate in 2015, so yes soon homeschool kids will be playing UIL sports. Would it be different if one of the public school main star athlete had a younger brother who was homeschooled? Wouldn't you like to give that younger brother a chance to break his brothers records?