2017 Houston Astros

Thoughts on the 2017 Houston Astros. A couple of years back, Sports Illustrated declared the Astros the 2017 World Series Champs and I believe they could win it all, the talent is there. To me, the offense/defense will be very good against leftys and rightys with how much versatility and depth they have. The season rests on pitching health and the reemergence of Keuchel and Lance McCullers giving us 75%+ of the season and the guys at the bottom of the rotation stepping up pitching with confidence. Hoping for a great year and want to hear y'all's thoughts. 

I'm excited for the season. I'm not as big on the additions of Aoki and Reddick as most people. One of the two would have been a huge upgrade over the others guys that were playing there, but I don't like the idea of Gattis sitting so much. He could be your DH and Beltran could play LF in that park. I guess it's good to have four people fighting for those spots though.

The one thing I have learned being a Houston sports fan for my entire life, seasons that begin with high hopes usually don't turn out very well.

I'm a fan of Musgrove and think he can become very good. He had a couple of rough outings in his first call up but it happens and he was great in a couple of outings as well. They may still be a year away but I would like to think 1 of the 2 out of Paulino and Martes will become a middle of the rotation starter for the team down the road. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know it is early in the 2017 season, but the Astros could have something special.  Barring injury, and Lord forbid our early season high hopes jinx the team, but the Astros could be a strong contender for the AL crown and a legitimate threat to win the World Series.  I know, it's April.  Slow down 1989NDN.

It's early, but so far the Astros have average to above average starting pitching, a strong bullpen (middle relief and closing), and the pieces of the puzzle on offense are starting to gel.  One through nine in the batting order can get hot and swing the stick.  And, who doesn't love Jose Altuve?  He is 5'5" of dynamite.  My favorite Astros player for the past three seasons.  He is what young kids should strive to be as they grow up playing baseball.  Hey kid, you're too small, you're to slow, blah...blah...blah...you can't do it at 5' 5"...you can't do this...you can't do that....  Yet, Altuve can do it all.  Love his tenacity and grit at the plate.  He can fight off the inside heat, he can fight off the curve ball and slider, and he can wait for his pitch to hit.  Great player.

NO INJURIES in 2017.  Go Astros.  It could be a special season.

Go Astros.  Peace.

3 hours ago, 1989NDN said:

I know it is early in the 2017 season, but the Astros could have something special.  Barring injury, and Lord forbid our early season high hopes jinx the team, but the Astros could be a strong contender for the AL crown and a legitimate threat to win the World Series.  I know, it's April.  Slow down 1989NDN.

It's early, but so far the Astros have average to above average starting pitching, a strong bullpen (middle relief and closing), and the pieces of the puzzle on offense are starting to gel.  One through nine in the batting order can get hot and swing the stick.  And, who doesn't love Jose Altuve?  He is 5'5" of dynamite.  My favorite Astros player for the past three seasons.  He is what young kids should strive to be as they grow up playing baseball.  Hey kid, you're too small, you're to slow, blah...blah...blah...you can't do it at 5' 5"...you can't do this...you can't do that....  Yet, Altuve can do it all.  Love his tenacity and grit at the plate.  He can fight off the inside heat, he can fight off the curve ball and slider, and he can wait for his pitch to hit.  Great player.

NO INJURIES in 2017.  Go Astros.  It could be a special season.

Go Astros.  Peace.

Love this post and agree 100%. Great young core of talented players but also great young men and now we brought in some veterans to help lead the youngsters and show them what it takes to win at the highest level. As an Astros fan, I hope to not jinx them but I feel like we should enjoy the success. The past decade has been tough on our Astros and I'm glad that they have the team and staff they have now. I'm gonna enjoy the ride!

42 minutes ago, Hook'em said:

Was at the game last night, pretty good crowd for a Wednesday. The new centerfield is great, torchys tacos party deck was fun. Great food and beer (50 or so beers on tap). I know it's early but this team is special. 

They are one legit starter away from being a World Series contender. Maybe a trade deadline pickup can put them over the top.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 2:40 PM, Tigers2010 said:

They are one legit starter away from being a World Series contender. Maybe a trade deadline pickup can put them over the top.

I'm hoping they can make a play for Gerritt Cole from the Pirates or Chris Archer from the Rays. They do need help in the rotation because Fiers and Musgrove have been very inconsistent and I don't trust McHugh to come in and be lights out after he gets off the DL.

Carlos Correa with a 2-run HR to start things and Jake Marisnick with the assist to Brian McCann to tag out Jacoby Ellsbury to end things.  A great way to open the series vs the NYY.

Is Aaron Judge a prototype of the next generation's baseball player?  6' 7" and 280 lbs.  He can hit, run, and play right field.  I wonder if, eventually, he will make the move from right field to first base?  It would be hard for an infielder to miss a big target at first base standing 6' 7".