Who would win?

king

My first thought says bear purely based on size but when I look at the amount of strength, albeit in a smaller size, the gorilla has it makes me less sure. I say the gorilla based on that, the fact that he is much smarter than the bear, and also the fact that he is more agile and has better movement and control of his limbs. JMO but I go gorilla!

The Grizz wins.

The gorilla might be stronger. The gorilla might be more agile. 

The gorilla isn't packing 4 inch razor blades on each front paw in the form of its claws. I think the strength of the gorilla might be cut down a bit when its bicep is ripped to shreds and its throat is cut. 

It is like a guy bringing a baseball bat to a gun fight. 

I'd go with the grizzly.  I'd think he have the reach advantage, and as baddog said, them four inch Buck knives hanging out of them paws would rip that gorilla to pieces.  But if that gorilla got inside, who knows?   Wouldn't want to referee lol.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest ECBucFan

I love this debate! Its all over the net. I think the gorilla is underestimated. Silverbacks are normally docile but go into a RAGE when threatened. I don't think the Silverback would stand there at arms length and calmly let the bear slash him with its claws, The Silverback would charge into and take that bear down to the ground. Look at the strength disparity: Gorilla 4400 lbs. Bear 1100 lbs... 

3 hours ago, ECBucFan said:

I love this debate! Its all over the net. I think the gorilla is underestimated. Silverbacks are normally docile but go into a RAGE when threatened. I don't think the Silverback would stand there at arms length and calmly let the bear slash him with its claws, The Silverback would charge into and take that bear down to the ground. Look at the strength disparity: Gorilla 4400 lbs. Bear 1100 lbs... 

I did not realize it was a benchpress contest.  Yep, the gorilla would win 

And I never thought the gorilla would be standing at arms length and let the bear slash him. The gorilla would charge him but unless he gets the bear in a Full Nelson, it won't matter. 

Guest ECBucFan

No one is benchpressing. I think the Silverback charges like a freight train and takes the bear to the ground. I assume that strength metric posted above referrers to whole body strength. Once on the ground, the bears slashing ability is compromised. Additionally the gorillas hide is insanely tough and covered with dense fur.

I saw an interesting video once of a bear attacking a cow. The bear took 20 seconds to subdue the cow. Thats a cow, not a bull. If the bear had a bit of a struggle with a COW. Mr. Yogi might be in big trouble if he throws down with a Silverback!