Silsbee 89 Brazosport 83/FINAL/SILSBEE TIGERS - CLASS 4A STATE CHAMPIONS!!!

I have always said that they had never won a state championship in a sport that involved a ball prior to the win in Basketball. I know they won the championship in track in 1988. They had a five man team. Three of them were Eric Foster, Chris Barnes and Calvin Tyler. I'm not sure who the other two were. 

I was here when they won the championships in powerlifting in the early 90's. I believe there were four of them. However I don't believe at that time that powerlifting was a UIL approved sport. 

By they way the championships were after Mark Henry graduated. 

it is a different feeling this off season.  Usually I am discussing this and that way to get better.   Thinking about how Silsbee matches up with this team or that.  This off season, none of that.  Going to miss the outgoing Seniors.  Michael MCCain and Bruce Newton's tenacity, especially on defense.  Willie Jones III post play.  Hard to replace that.  The young guys will have to step up, and I am sure they will.  This happens every year though.  A whole lot of teams would like to have what Silsbee has coming back. 

I don't follow hs baseball or track that hard.  Not even football.  I don't put much attention into the NCAA tournament.  TBH not even the Rockets.  High school basketball, especially as it relates to the Silsbee Tigers.  That's my favorite sport and team to follow. 

• 2 weeks later...

Silsbee will be super solid next season as well. Chris Martin cam flat out ball and I think Landon Tyler and Bass will the big 2 off the bench. I'm sure there will be others to step up like Adonis and maybe Tre Newton returns. The starting lineup will be Devin 6-3, Jordyn 6-4, Martin 6-1, Bush 5-8 and Barne 6-3.  I could see a 2-3 inch growth spirt in Martin and Bush. Tyler is close to 5-9 and Bass about 6-4.