Silsbee 89 Brazosport 83/FINAL/SILSBEE TIGERS - CLASS 4A STATE CHAMPIONS!!!

I first became aware of Silsbee basketball state championships, or the lack there of, (until now) in 1969 when Kountze won state.  That's 48 years of frustration.  Thank you coach Sigler for leading the team to the championship.  Thanks to the players  on the team as well, along with all the other fans like me.  Starting to sound like the oscars, lol.  I am glad to see this, you just don't know.

Last but not least, thanks to AAW for bringing us the games.  You are a pro with the call and give so many of us a chance to follow games throughout the season.  You especially saved our bacon tonight when nfhs wet the bed.  And didn't even charge us $10 apiece.  I know I speak for many of us when we say - THANK YOU!!!!

42 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Congrats tigers! Away to finally get over the hump!  Enjoy this, but get ready, pretty soon y'all need to start preparing to do it again next year!

Build a solid team around Bush, Adams, and McCain. They'll be fine.

and don't go punching anyone in the head next year either.

2 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Last but not least, thanks to AAW for bringing us the games.  You are a pro with the call and give so many of us a chance to follow games throughout the season.  You especially saved our bacon tonight when nfhs wet the bed.  And didn't even charge us $10 apiece.  I know I speak for many of us when we say - THANK YOU!!!!

Yes, thanks to AAW & all the staff at SETXSports.  Myself & a lot of other fans would not be as informed and connected were it not for this forum.

Going into each of the last two years, I have heard how having a team as talented as we have had was just asking for trouble, too many players they are going to have issues with playing time.  Well I have said it for two years and even though we added a few new faces this year, the result has been 2 state finals and 1 State Championship.  This team is special not just because they won that Title but because of the way they have played together and gone through so many trials along the way.  This is a TEAM,  no one player bigger than the others.  Sure they had tough moments but this team picked each other up,  no ONE player had to be the "star".  The star was whoever was playing best that night.  I have never seen a Tiger team that was near the team this one is and I am not talking talent here.  This is why they were finally able to get over that hump.  Congratulations Tigers on a well earned State Championship!!!!  You definitely deserve it!

Next year, gonna lose size with Jones gone.  Gonna lose grit and toughness with Lil C and Newton gone.  Gonna lose a defensive force and a rebounder with Mike McCain gone.  And you'll lose lots of experience losing Harris.  Disobedient will have their work to do to get back, but returning Devin, Jordyn, and Braylon, that's a great 3 to build around.  The championship pedigree is here.  Let's see if the current players will be able to copy it off in the younger players.  

15 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Next year, gonna lose size with Jones gone.  Gonna lose grit and toughness with Lil C and Newton gone.  Gonna lose a defensive force and a rebounder with Mike McCain gone.  And you'll lose lots of experience losing Harris.  Disobedient will have their work to do to get back, but returning Devin, Jordyn, and Braylon, that's a great 3 to build around.  The championship pedigree is here.  Let's see if the current players will be able to copy it off in the younger players.  

For all the reasons stated it was crucial to win it all this year.  They say the 1st championship is the hardest.  I am personally not concerned with # 2 state title, not now anyway.

Why u used the word disobedient?

I expect Chris Martin to play more of a role next year. Having Devin back will make up for losing Jones. Man I wish we'd had him for four years.

Losing Newton and Harris is gonna hurt, no doubt about that.

Hopefully we get one or two up from next year's freshman class to play a big role like Braylon did this year. Maybe a move in here or there as well.

Silsbee has traditionally been more of a medium sized team. Lots of guys in the 6'2" -  6'4" range. They've had one 6'10" player (Eddie Fobbs) which is the tallest they've ever had, I think. They've also had a handful of 6'6" players on their past rosters at the same time. None of that size won them a ring.

I'm sure Yates is gonna be looking for some payback next year. Devon was already promising a repeat next year on his Twitter feed before they won the first ring. Silsbee needs to not get too arrogant. Confidence is fine, but don't get too cocky. I think coach Sig will have them ready.

1 hour ago, Kountzer said:

For all the reasons stated it was crucial to win it all this year.  They say the 1st championship is the hardest.  I am personally not concerned with # 2 state title, not now anyway.

I told someone this last night as the time was winding down in the game. That first one is always the hardest. 

2 hours ago, Kountzer said:

*their.  Predictive text kicked in on my phone.  (Buddy Garrity used to call my phone a section 8 phone, jokingly...  Lol)

26 minutes ago, Lazeek said:

I have to give Silsbee credit.  They were the best team all year, and even through adversity they managed to come out on top at the end of the year.  Congrats on your first State Championship in basketball.  The city of Silsbee deserves it.  

#threeisgreaterthanone

Having the most state championships in Hardin county or SE Texas is not the end all, be all many make it out to be, not to me anyway.   I just wanted to see silsbee get one.  That'll hold me for awhile.  And if they win another one that's cool too.